--Project 'Patty'-- Alltrac #2 ^_^

bloodMoney

As some of you know, my other car is a 90 celica alltrac. The wifey has been DDing the car for the last year since her RSX was totalled. This being said, two Chicago winters have exponentially increased the amount of rust that the car has..... I now need to replace both rocker panels, quarters, a-pillars and the floors of the car. So in order to save my precious, we just bought another alltrac for her to daily compliments of gpmarzan.

So, on my spring break, I took the trip from Kalamazoo, MI to Indianapolis to pick up the new car. :)

951ce18a.jpg

4edf677a.jpg

This is what 5500lbs looks like strapped to the back of a suburban :lol: Look at the lean yo! :)
0d397a9f.jpg

f85d18b5.jpg

a7d86647.jpg

d5d23659.jpg

bc1dac1c.jpg

c14aa28a.jpg

51e9f7d8.jpg

e670ca7f.jpg

3b9370f0.jpg

a70690ff.jpg

793caea5.jpg

Those pics were taken the day after I picked the car up from Patrick. That same day, I started her up and there was no knocking, just a little valve tick. After she warmed up, the tick all but disappeared.

So I did what any good AT owner would do.... Let's go drive it! I drove just around the block and when I tried to boost, well, I couldn't. Who knew that the 3s was such a dog w/o a turbo?

I pulled the turbo off the car and found oil covering the intake tract, from AFM to TB.... Turbo seized. Took it apart...

0595e96f.jpg

865a811d.jpg

c569074b.jpg

So much for a '50 trim' CT series huh? At least Patrick had fun with her :) Anyway, now I'm playing the waiting game as the gf decides if we are going to dish out the 90bux for a gasket kit for another CT or if we are going to save for something bigger.....

Stay tuned!

~Chris

Terracar

Nice looking Alltrac - it appears in good shape, well not the turbo, but the rest. Have you checked the compression in case any of those bits went into the engine?

-Terracar

bloodMoney

The turbine side is the one that was destroyed. I have yet to take the compressor housing apart to look at the wheel (it kinda scares me).

Patrick did a compression test before he sold me the car and the numbers were not pretty.... I'm going to try to put everything back together and test again.

GT4times2

Nice project. Never hurts to rebuild the motor, (or go 2nd gen) and get a better turbo (endless choices). Good Luck!!

bloodMoney

Thanks guys... The motor is actually a 2nd gen, so I just need to recheck the compression and decide from there what I'm going to do with it....

mike325ci

haha, you bought patrick's car? sweeeet... nice to see that it went to good hands... hehe. i love black ST165s...

i suggest keeping one car in driveable condition, and the other one for mods and fun. otherwise you will go insane or broke. probably both. :p

GT4times2

mike325ci":qbnh5pgm said:
haha, you bought patrick's car? sweeeet... nice to see that it went to good hands... hehe. i love black ST165s...

i suggest keeping one car in driveable condition, and the other one for mods and fun. otherwise you will go insane or broke. probably both. :p

Words of wisdom, Mike... :notworthy:

Celicatuner92

Nice to see this stayed somewhat in the area. Hope ya get her fixed it was my second one that I was looking at had I not got the 185 from grand rapids.

Good luck with the car.

Jon

bloodMoney

Haha Mike.... :)

I am planning on rebuilding the 165 to DD running duty and completely tearing down the 185 for a complete track whore resto. I have to cut out and weld in basically the entire lower half of the car and I figure while I'm doing that, I might as well just weld in the rollcage too. :shrug:

Jon: I'm really glad that you didn't pick up this car... These things just seem to grow on me... The more I drive my 6g, the more I love it and it seems like the more I look at the 165, I get the same way. Plus, its nice to say that I currently own 4 celicas spanning 3 different generations. 8)

SleepingTurbo

youre cool, i would love to be your best friend :p

nice pick up, i havent seen it til right now. you and i are in the same boat. the 50trim Ct sucks butt. im waiting to get it rebuilt right now. buy i have a job, so im buying some other stuff.

gpmarzan

You finally made a post on this trac! Sorry that the Turbo was shot. I know how you wanted to slap that on your other trac. :p
Yes, the compresson #s when I checked it didnt look good. I believe I posted it somewhere on here. It was low on 3 cyl, I believe, and nowhere close to each other. Still not quite sure of the damage, but definately let me know what you find out, Chris. Im curious to know. I sure did had some fun with it when it ran good. Looking forward to see it running again. :D :smokes:

bloodMoney

Well, I finished putting the other turbo on the car last night/this morning and took it out for a run...

I'm getting a boatload of oil coming out of the BOV, I mean, its covering EVERYTHING. This turbo didn't leak oil when I used it on Ellie...

I think you were right Pat.... I think that cyl.3 is gone. I'm going to do a compression test today to see what the #'s are. I just wanted to update this a little for my own documentation. :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:

GT4times2

bloodMoney":n2pl27p1 said:
Well, I finished putting the other turbo on the car last night/this morning and took it out for a run...

I'm getting a boatload of oil coming out of the BOV, I mean, its covering EVERYTHING. This turbo didn't leak oil when I used it on Ellie...

I think you were right Pat.... I think that cyl.3 is gone. I'm going to do a compression test today to see what the #'s are. I just wanted to update this a little for my own documentation. :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:

Good excuse, err.. reason for a rebuild. :evil:

gpmarzan

bloodMoney":307x8any said:

Sorry to hear that dude. I think it was cyl 4 that had the oil on the spark plug when I did compression on it.
I must say though, the stock ct26 sucks balls, even compare to a small 'upgrade' such as a 50trim compressor. My mr2 def has no go compare to the alltrac. And dude, you have no idea how sweet that st205 intercooler setup I have on that w/that heat exchanger.

bloodMoney

gpmarzan":1ofvrd7p said:
Sorry to hear that dude. I think it was cyl 4 that had the oil on the spark plug when I did compression on it.
I must say though, the stock ct26 sucks balls, even compare to a small 'upgrade' such as a 50trim compressor. My mr2 def has no go compare to the alltrac. And dude, you have no idea how sweet that st205 intercooler setup I have on that w/that heat exchanger.

No worries bro. I knew when I bought the car that it might be the motor.... I can't wait to get a real turbo on that car to see how well that intercooler setup works. That HX is MONSTEROUS!

Did the car have the infamous 165 hot start problems? b/c she'll start fine when she's cold, but once she's up at operating temps, she has problems starting....

gpmarzan

bloodMoney":ceq75qmz said:
gpmarzan":ceq75qmz said:

No worries bro. I knew when I bought the car that it might be the motor.... I can't wait to get a real turbo on that car to see how well that intercooler setup works. That HX is MONSTEROUS!

Did the car have the infamous 165 hot start problems? b/c she'll start fine when she's cold, but once she's up at operating temps, she has problems starting....
If you look in front of the battery you can see the relay that I had put in place to go around that problem of starting. Pretty much just had to bypass the 20+ yr old wires to the starter that prevents it from starting. Have had no problems with starting at all since that. One of the first few 'mods' I had to do when I got the car. 8)

bloodMoney

I just got home from working on Patty and the compression at operating temp across 1, 2, 3 and 4 are 150, 150, 150, 120 respectively. I thought that these numbers were alright (I know that they are supposed to be 180), so I took her for another spin.......

We've officially got rod knock. Its not very audible when you are just putting around, but when you get on it and at higher RPM's you can clearly hear the knocking. Also, we've still got oil coming out of the BOV so I think that we may have a bad ringland on cyl.4 as well....

So much for an easy fix....