AZ smog questions- Maybe moving to Phoenix next month

db

Ya, as the title implies, I might be moving to Phoenix next month from Vegas, and unsure of how tough the AZ smog folks are. Are the smog folks state run or independent? Do they do a visual inspection? Do they put cars on rollers?

My car has one cat, a newish one in the secondary cat location. It should pass a tail pipe test easily, if it's done similar to Vegas: idling at two rpms. However, my EGR system is removed and currently only has block-off plates. My original EGR equipment is sadly long gone. I also have a front-mount with a bov vented to the atmosphere, though I don't suppose this is as much of a problem since AZ is probably not a bad as CA.

Thanks.

CSAlltrac

Tell ya what......if you move here you can register to me and then you can run 3'' from your turbo back, or whatever you desire. Phoenix emissions is state run and they do both visual and roller tests. The thing is, where I am (about 100 miles north of PHX) there is no emissions at all! Its really nice.

db

I may take you up on that. They have 4wd rollers? Wow. Honestly, I am not worried about passing smog except for the fact that I no longer have the EGR system to throw back on.

rrain3288

I have removed all the emission parts on my car here in Tucson (no egr,cat,ect) i havent had one problem registering my trac they do require the roller test but sense its awd they cant do it tho the funnnist part is watching them try to as it shoots off lol i look forward to it every year. i could just tell them but personally its funnier watching them ...lol and they do the visual check but the engine compartment is so cramped and they have never seen this engine they allways just give up and pass it .... and if by some stroke of bad luck they do fail it AZ changed the laws a year or so ago you can now register your car as a rare or classic car (over 15 years old) so you wont even have to do emissions anymore.
im just waiting for my car to fail to do it.

db

I've removed a lot of components from under the hood, so it's easier to work under it (and thus also see). Without a top mount intercooler, it's not hard to notice the block off plates. Doesn't that rare/classic car status usually involve annual mileage caps?

cmonteiro1

No need to reiterate what everyone else has said, but let us know if you move to Phx. I'm in Phoenix, there are a few tracs in Prescott up north and tucson has one or two. Went on a run up to Prescott with John (CSAlltrac) last weekend...

Pics

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38862

db

The job I was hoping to get fell through, so unless something good comes up, I'll remain here in Vegas. I think my plan for smog is to just get a used EGR setup from off the classifieds section. However, I have been out to Phoenix a ton of times, so you'll probably see my car there eventually. Black with Vegas plates that say ALTRC (because the rest of the car is debadged for the most part). Each way is only 3/4 of a tank, so the trip is pretty convenient.