removing teeth from RC bumper

CMS-GT4

So has anyone removed the (teeth) place support from the RC bumper? Did you fill it with anything? I have considered removing these from my new bumper cover.

Here are some pics for example.
teeth
1991ToyotaCelicaRC01_01.jpg

1991CelicaGT4RCmod01_01.jpg

vs with out
toyota_celica_gt4_emcos2.jpg

anniv%202.JPG

Droptop93

I would guess to grind then down then fill with fiberglass and sealer...I've never seen one up close though only in pics.

pintoBC_3sgte

if i didnt have to run a front plate i'd be in your situation as well.. lol not a fan of those (teeth) on the bumper

WarTowels

I'm currently in the process of removing the whole teeth/flat area. I'm using flexible bumper filler.

SEM39458.jpg

I didn't really do much with fiber glass back when I started this, but if I were to do it again that's the route I'd go, for sure.

In fact, I might restart with fiber glass anyway.

-Towels

CMS-GT4

I have been told that fiberglass is not the best solution. That there are special filler compounds based on your base material. So there is somethings that we are supposed to use based on the material this bumper is made of.

I need to find intiald93's thread where he modified his center section.

WarTowels

^ yes. The polyester filling is what your supposed to use.

I think fiber glass would be fine, something like two layers of glass would give a good base to start putting the putty on.

-Towels

CMS-GT4

I see. I was planning on modifying the whole center section at first, but now we may move. If I move to a state that has a front license plate, I can make my own bracket if I need to to compensate for the teeth. So I am on the fence on how much I want to modify. I need to decide soon, cause now the parts are here I can send the car off to paint.

WarTowels

Infinitely better!

My state requires front plates for inspection, and it's a fine-able offense not to have one. But I don't put them on my DD and I've never had an issue. I got pulled over once, but was only given a warning.

For inspection I'll wrap a two 1" strips of Velcro around the bar and mount the plate for inspection that way.

-Towels

jonstew

Some fairly close up pictures of a modified RC Bumper cover. On a black car I don't think it makes nearly the difference it does on a lighter colored car but it still looks considerably better.

John7.jpg

John8.jpg

John9.jpg

John10.jpg