WTB: 5th Gen Celica

LyGuy

Hello everyone,

I'm on a mission to buy a 90-93 Celica and would like your help.
Here are the details: I live in Toronto so anywhere in the GTA would be great, not looking for an alltrac or a GT4 in particular right now as I believe it's going to be too much for me to handle. Preferably in white, but black and grey is also an option. Approximately 150k km or less, if its more than that then the engine should be stock and in really good condition and finally the most I'm willing to spend at the moment is $3000.

Now that's out of the way, if you have a Celica for sale within that price let me know =)

I've also searched kijiji for the past 2 weeks and here are some potentials, please let me what you guys think!

1990 Celica GTS (Black) $2900
This is lives far from me but the ad literally just came up and it looks good:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Toyota-Celica-GT-S-LOW-KM-W0QQAdIdZ234322778

1991 Celica GTS (Black) $2950
I'm liking this one the most at the moment just because of the mileage and is already modded in some ways that I want it: RC bumper and leather seats. The interior seems like its been painted blue, something i'd rather not have but can live with. The 7th gen Celica rims are a bonus too. I gave the guy a call and he said the engine is indeed stock and original km's. He's selling it for his son though and so I can't take his word 100% for it at the moment. I am planning to go take a look at it on Friday.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Toyota-Celica-Coupe-Custom-W0QQAdIdZ232933824

1993 Celica GTS (White) $2500
I'm throwing this one in here because it's white and it looks really really clean. The biggest setback for me would be the high km's compared to the other ones. On the plus side, it's got a lower price tag plus also comes with safety and e-test.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1993-Toyota-Celica-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ234077209#

1991 Celica GTS (White) $3900
This one was originally my favorite and was the lead for my final purchase. It's white, got low km's and looks MINT and hasn't been through any winters. However 2 things have changed since then and I don't think I can even consider this car anymore. The first is the price - the seller set it at $2900 originally but sneaky sneaky it's been bumped up 1 grand. When I called him to arrange a viewing for this Friday, I learned that he doesn't own the car. The ownership is still under the previous owners name and he never bothered to plate it because he got another car and it's been in storage since. He also didn't seem like he cared about selling it to me after I was showing genuine interest in the car. I'm going to call him again on Thursday though just to confirm the price of the Celica.
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-Toyota-Celica-GTS-W0QQAdIdZ220745536

I'm psyched about getting another Celica and car shopping is so fun but I'd also like to get other Celica owners' opinions cause you guys know the car the best. I used to own one but only for a month as the Celica I bought was complete trash with so many problems. This time I'm going to take my time and do it right, won't be rushing into a purchase anytime soon. I suppose since I'm still in the shopping phase I'll be open to whatever other Celicas you have to show me if you think its a good buy! Thanks for helping out =)

LyGuy

Throwing this one is here just for comparison sake:
1992 Celica GT4 (White) $3499
Well, its a gt4 and in white PLUS got the RC bumper. A lot of cons to counteract this price though: huge dent in the rear right panel if you look closely and also seems like another dent on front left fender, it's right-hand drive and lastly I've heard terrible reviews for tigerjapanese.
http://www.tigerjapanesecars.com/details.php?id=51

Greg_Canada

What i learned buying a used old alltrac, is make sure you have a few grand to spend to fix everything that previous owners neglected (aka every hose, water pump, timing belt, bearings, oil pump, turbo, brakes, exhaust, etc.), #2 don't buy anything with cut/modified/spliced wires, and #3 get something with no rust, i'd go for a car with 30,000km more on it if it had no rust. swapping a new motor in is cheaper than fixing rust!!!

The more well maintained a car you can find... the better.

TomsGT4

"don't buy anything with cut/modified/spliced wires..." unless they're an Electrical Engineer & hand you wiring schematics to go with the sale :)

LyGuy

I'm definitely not buying a modified engine. So I went to check out the first Celica in my first post and I was pretty impressed:

$2950
1991 Celica GTS 5speed
Black, 120k km stock engine, 2 owners

The Goods:
Low km
Stock engine
No rust, clean underbody
4 year old paint job (black with blue pearl)
Clean interior, looks like new carpet installed

Extra Goods:
RC bumper installed
Custom speaker setup in trunk, but no head unit
Custom Leather seats, these are actually really really nice
Tinted windows
7th gen Celica rims
Lowered, but not slammed

The Bad:
Molded side skirts, rear bumper and spoiler (The kit is actually good looking, but will be a PITA to fix when cracked)
Leak in exhaust manifold, probably won't pass emissions
Started car fine first time, then had to try 3 times to start it the second time

Additional Baddies:
No sunroof motor
No radio/head unit

Pictures are here:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...oyota-Celica-Coupe-Custom-W0QQAdIdZ232933824#

This is my favorite one so far, thoughts?

TomsGT4

Not a fan of that rear bumper. Wow no.
But as you say, you get rear-ended and unless you know your glasswork then don't bother.
Kind of funny though... Tempted to buy it for the seats & rear windshield visor, swap them out, and then resell it.

LyGuy

Well it looks like I'll be going to get that Celica. I got 2 mechs to check it out and they say the engine is good. Bargained the price down to $2700, so I think it's actually a good deal for a Celica with 120k original km. The risk I'll be taking is the body kit, but I'm not planning to drive it this winter anyway. This is my first real car so I'm pretty excited =D

Toms I'm actually not a fan of that roof spoiler thing, if there was a clean way to take it apart I might do it.

89alltrac

I believe theres a thread on that car on the celispeed forums, check it out if you want to see some progress pics, also make sure the km is right its more common these days that clusters have just been swapped and no one knows the actual mileage.

LyGuy

89alltrac you're right, after I bought the car I realized those weren't the original KMs, its actually closer to 200k km. Anyway I already paid the guy before I found out through the UVIP. And I just went through 40 pages on celispeed forum to try and look for this car but no luck =(