thoughts on colour change

gt4gordon

Hi folks. Got a black 185 and thinking of doing a full respray inside and out including underneath. Already had a black one and a grey one. So been thinking of doing it white and going for a motorsport look or go for something totally different and bright. But due to the fact these cars are becoming very rare is making me wonder if I should keep it the original colour. What do you guys think?

toayoztan

Unless you've kept it completely stock (or lightly modded which could be reversed), I wouldn't even care about keeping the color OEM for any "rarity" purposes.

As for the color, probably best to make a poll or throw up a few options for people to vote on from what YOU would like. Just too many colors out there...

Bryan

gt4gordon

No idea how to set up a poll. Car won't be anywhere near standard.
Colour so far are
ford frozen White
Peppermint green
Focus rs green
Midnight purple
pearlesent pink

gt4gordon

What's wrong with his like? In a few years if I decided I didn't like it anymore I would just change it again. Being a painter/panel beater means its no big deal.

CMS-GT4

alltracst185":obptlld9 said:
Respray it black again :smokes: Color changes always look horrible a few years later. Look at CMS' car :nono:

Only if they are not done right. That's why I am spending the money to get it done right this time. My previous paint job was bad 6months later.

gt4gordon

CMS-GT4":30ts8aeg said:
alltracst185":30ts8aeg said:
Respray it black again :smokes: Color changes always look horrible a few years later. Look at CMS' car :nono:

Only if they are not done right. That's why I am spending the money to get it done right this time. My previous paint job was bad 6months later.

What happened with yours? Just poor preparation?

CMS-GT4

Poor prep, cheap paint, and no clear coat. I was in a fender bender, and the guy offered to repaint the whole car for the cost of the paint, which was dirt cheap. I regretted it, since my car still had a near perfect looking stock paint job. On top of poor materials, the guy painting the car was going through a divorce and did a half ass job on everything. Don't fear a color change. Plenty of cars have had quality work done I have seen cars recolored a decade ago and still look just as good now. There is a reason paint work tends to cost a decent bit. The shop I am going to has a lifetime warranty, and great reviews from customers and BBB. So if something was not quite right somehow with my paint, they will take care of it.

alltracst185

CMS-GT4":1ujpabiu said:
Poor prep, cheap paint, and no clear coat. I was in a fender bender, and the guy offered to repaint the whole car for the cost of the paint, which was dirt cheap. I regretted it, since my car still had a near perfect looking stock paint job. On top of poor materials, the guy painting the car was going through a divorce and did a half ass job on everything. Don't fear a color change. Plenty of cars have had quality work done I have seen cars recolored a decade ago and still look just as good now. There is a reason paint work tends to cost a decent bit. The shop I am going to has a lifetime warranty, and great reviews from customers and BBB. So if something was not quite right somehow with my paint, they will take care of it.
That sounds expensive! What is it going to cost you if you don't mind me asking?

gt4gordon

As said you pay for what you get. For a respray I will charge anything from uk £1000 depending on condition and what the customer want. Al post up some picture of cars I have done if I can

gt4gordon

Couldn't get the pictures to load said they were to big. Thinking or just redoing it black now possibly with a green flake not sure. Will be easier and quicker as have the engine to build as well

gt4gordon

275.jpg