The Gen 3.5 swap

l0ch0w

So ive been posting this build on the MR2 forums, but the reality is that its better suited here. Ill post my progress up to this point.

So, im starting my gen 3.5 swap into my alltrac, and I thought I would share with all of you some of the specific differences between the gen 4 and gen 2 block. Next week the gen 4 block will be going to the machine shop to get a makeover and some new holes :)

The two blocks side by side gen II on the right gen 4 on the left:

The Gen II block has a coolant nipple here:

The Gen4 does not:

l0ch0w

The Gen II has a different size turbo feed line and the that big hole is drilled and tapped:

The Gen4:

The oil cooler location is significantly different, these next two pictures show quite a few differences. The oil cooler mounting holes are only on the genII block. If you look to the right of the oil cooler location, you will notice that there is a coolant nipple on the gen 4 block, and the genII doesnt... Also if you look really really closely you will see that the gen 4 block has threads the whole way down the center hole of the oil cooler location. but the genII block is bored smooth in the hole.
The GenII:

The Gen4:

l0ch0w

OK so here is the Gen IV block freshly modified to accept the Gen III oil cooler as well as my 86.5mm wisecos, o and i put fresh coat of paint on it!!!

My next step is to balance the rotating assembly. Ive decided on going back to a stock flywheel as my previous lightened flywheel made driveability a pain in the butt (remember, my car is way heavier than most of you MR2 guys')

Anyways, enjoy the clean pretty parts...

imag0012z.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-10
imag0013.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-10
imag0014ch.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-10
imag0015u.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-10

l0ch0w

Here are some pictures that will better explain why I switched to a gen3 oil cooler. Anyways, these pictures say alot...

Gen4 on the left, Gen3 plus spacer bracket on the right
imag0017kl.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-11

Notice how much thinner the gen 4 cooler is, also no spacer bracket.
imag0018i.jpg

By alochow at 2011-03-11

l0ch0w

The current status:

Ordered a full engine gasket and seal kit from Lithia. The rotating assembly is going out Thursday to be balanced. The ARP 2000 head studs will be coming in next week, and all new bypass hoses (the ones that arent the HFH and HFHOE) are headed here straight from Japan (im tempted to buy a geiger counter to see if its radioactive :) )

l0ch0w

OK, maybe I should explain the whole swap first off...

So I have a red 1991 alltrac that Ive had for about 4 years now. Ive broken two motors, mostly due to lack of experience, and patience. After spinning a bunch of bearings, lots of reading, and learning how to properly build and engine. I have decided to properly build a motor without cutting any corners. Which as most of you know means $$$

My initial setup will start with the gen IV bottom end. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the 4th gen block, It has a reinforced water pump area, and a better alloy composition. The general consensus with the 3sgte community is that the gen 2 block is good to about 800whp. After that its a huge gamble on whether it cracks at the waterpump or between the no.2 and no.3 cylinder. Im hoping in the future that I can break this barrier, but that is several years off...

Phase one is to essentially get it running. However, Precautions are being taken so that the motor can handle future upgrades. First is a set of 86.5mm wiseco pistons from ATS racing. They have ceramic coated domes, and an anti friction coating on the skirts. Secondly is a set of Billet Crower Rods. Unless I can sell my RC/CS turbo, For now I will be using that. Eventually I will buying a twin scroll Borg Warner EFR 8374 with a custom manifold made by Marc at EMS powered. But thats about a year off... Anyways, on to the stuff I currently have. 1600cc injectors, AEM UEGO wideband, ARP 2000 head studs from KO racing, All new hoses, seals, and bearings straight from japan/toyota. After I pay for school, im going to buy an aem EMS 4 as my standalone. I used to run an AEM PNP, but I sold it since they have classically had issues.

My first goal after getting it running, is to see what the power capabilities are of the RC/CS turbo (unless someone buys it). It has a larger compressor wheel than the standard ct26, but isnt quite the same size as the 20b. The good thing is that it has the inconel turbine, which means its rebuildable :) Ive never really seen a full build on the RC/CS turbo, so right now its pretty much an academic exercise.

CMS-GT4

Its an interesting thread, but forum activity drops a bit from mid day friday to mid day monday. You get used to it.

UtahSleeper

We care :) Just starting to get nice out. I do most of my surfing at work lol.

Nice work so far. I will have to see where this goes.

l0ch0w

I finally got enough spare time yesterday to drive an hour to go drop off my crankshaft for a complete rotating assembly balance.

For all of you guys who are wondering about crankshaft and rotating mass balancing. Its not all about just making sure that each component is the same weight. For example, your rods have an odd center of mass, which means that even though they may have the same weight, its possible they have different centers of mass. Proper balancing puts the rods on a jig that can measure the heavy end, and the light end separately. Then each of the pistons are balanced by making sure they are the same weight. Usually if you purchase aftermarket pistons, then they come prebalanced.

Then after precisely balancing the components, and recording their masses and including the masses of all of the small parts too like wrist pins, rings, and rod bearings. A bob-weight is built and installed on the crankshaft. For a complete balance, the whole rotating assembly is assembled. With the bob weights taking place for the rods, rod bearings, wrist pin, c clips, piston, and rings. The whole assembly usually includes the flywheel and bolts, and the crank pulley.

Some of you at this point are probably wondering, why balance the whole rotating assy if most modern 4 cyl motors are internally balanced? well... frankly its my anal retentiveness I dont like the idea of my flywheel or crank pulley potentially throwing the rest of my system out of whack. Especially since all of my parts arent from the same motor. My flywheel was a freebie , and my crank pulley was bought off another member. As was my crankshaft...

For those of you looking to balance your crank, ask around and see if anybody locally has an electronic balancer. These things are like finding someone with a mandrel tubing bender... they arent that common and they cost several hundred thousand million billion dollars or something.

GT4times2

Looking good. I've been keeping an eye on your build. It's been nice out here (good weather around this time of year), so it's nothing special for Florida. :p

I'm actually looking for a Caldina motor, that I want to go 2.2 in. I've been looking locally (I haven't been too lucky). I'm watching your thread closely, since I'm planning something similar. Do you have part numbers for the 4th Gen 3SGTE (the gasket set, water pump etc)? I'd like to save all part numbers I can find for the engine. Where did you get them? Is it Lithia toyota in Oregon? I will send you a PM, if you don't mind, sharing the information. Keep the information coming. I'm looking to sell my actual set up sometime after the summer. So I should be ready for the 4th gen swap. I'm not looking for anything close to what you're looking for HP wise. I'm looking for mid 400s whp, low 500s (at most) with my set up. I don't want to break parts left and right. I'm toning things down a bit with the Alltracs. Expanding in other areas (speaking of cars :wink: ).

l0ch0w

Sorry ive been so lax on my updates here... so heres about a hundred posts detailing whats going on...

OK here are some more cool pictures

My intercooler arrived (after waiting 2 months for shipping)
The sticker on top has since come off, and it will be headed to get stripped and powdercoated within the next week or two
imag0122ji.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29

Painted up the Heat shield with Silicone Heat Paint
imag0123p.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29

I had to drill a hole here, because the Beams Oil pan doesnt have a turbo drain, but the casting in the pan has the spot here to be machined. Im thinking about just tapping the hole and installing an an fitting.
imag0124dc.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29

l0ch0w

Moar picsss

I picked up the crank wednesday (4/27/11) from Precision Crankshaft down in Lees Summit, MO. They use a Legend Series Engine balancing machine From Hines... Look it up, its a pretty decent machine... My crankshaft actually didnt need anything done to it luckily... It was only 1 gram off when balancing alone, and then once all the bob-weights, flywheel and pulley was added it still was only 2 grams off... My Rods did need significant work however.
imag0131b.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29

Here is it all put together... I still have to take the pistons back out and gap them... Not looking forward to that
imag0132o.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29

I also cleaned up my cylinder head, and installed my engle valve springs from my old motor.
imag0135t.jpg

By alochow at 2011-04-29