Help me fine the plug for the fuel pump resistor pack ASAP!

FWD-3SGTE

I can't find the plug on the engine harness that goes to the fuel pump resistor pack! Should it be located near the plug for the injector pack? I haven't needed to have either of these in the car for quite some time now so I can't remember where the heck it's located! I've look for a good 20 minutes and no luck!

Someone help me!

Is it FP relay (thats in the fusebox by altenator) or one of the silver cigarette sized boxes? If one of the cigarette boxes then in bolts to frame
below the battery and stick out into the engine bay towards the turbo. The wiring harness comes down the radiator support next to the side of the radiator (on a ST185)

toayoztan

Oh, sorry, that's the FP relay.

The FP resistor pack should be with the injector resistor pack, located around the intake/afm area. It bolts to the engine bay near the coolant resevoir.

Bryan

FWD-3SGTE

Ok, that's where I thought it was, but guess what? It's not there... :-/

Below is a picture of a couple of plugs that I suspect a secondary harness plugs into which end up going to the resistor pack.. So, without this secondary harness, I'm SOL with hooking this up :(

IMG_3243.jpg

And another weird thing, below is a picture inside the relay box that contains the fuel pump relay. Notice how only two wires/connectors go to the empty relay spot? Weird to me? Yes...

IMG_3219.jpg

What the HECK!

There is a mod to run the fuel pump on high pressure all the time. It looks like maybe someone has done this to your car. Although you are suppose to bridge two of the terminals in the fuse block where the fuel pressure relay was at. The plugs look like they are correct and they plug directly into the resistance pack and the other box. There should be a write up on this mod in the FAQ section somewhere.

FWD-3SGTE

The only problem is that the resistor pack has a small 2 wire plug, much smaller than the 2 wire plug in the picture which is why I think I'm missing some sort of sub harness.

sMARTINside

On my ST185, it's not on the engine harness, it comes out of the bumper harness, near the battery, close to the radiator fan connector.

FWD-3SGTE

Yep, I feel like a moron. The whole body harness is from a 5sfe, I knew that but I forgot that part of the body harness goes into the engine bay therefor I was thinking it was from a 3s. Doh!

But, I still have a problem. Now, I learned that the 5sfe doesn't have an fuel pump resistor pack, and I have the relay spot jumped, but still no power to my fuel pump when the key is turned. The big blue wire that comes off the pump goes into the huge fuse/junction block near the clutch, but where from there and how does it get signal from the key? :(

FWD-3SGTE

Well I have good news and horrible news... The good news is that I got the fuel pump pumping and the car started! I found that the big blue wire from the pump went right to the circuit opening relay and the only way it would send signal from the relay to the fuel pump is to start cranking the car! I learned something new today :)

Now, the horrible news, is that the fuel pump can't seem to keep enough pressure in the fuel lines to keep the car running no matter how much I crank on the fuel press regulator.

I am pretty upset. Not showing it right now, but it's inside me for sure. Of course, I have asked a couple of tuners to make sure that a walbro 255 can pressurize a -8 feed line, guess I found the answer the hard way.. :-(

You can jumper two pins in the diagnostic box to make the FP run all the time. Cant remember which ones off the top of my head but should be an easy find on the site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read that you dont have a 3sgte harness so this doesnt apply.

FWD-3SGTE

bozo-merlin":1o4kw2s9 said:
cranking make the fuel pump running, but are you sure your FP run when the engine is running ?
Hmm, that is a VERY good question. To be honest, I never thought of checking that, I will have to tomorrow. If this is the case, what could be the reason?

FWD-3SGTE

FWD-3SGTE":1w05hxj3 said:
bozo-merlin":1w05hxj3 said:
cranking make the fuel pump running, but are you sure your FP run when the engine is running ?
Hmm, that is a VERY good question. To be honest, I never thought of checking that, I will have to tomorrow. If this is the case, what could be the reason?
Merlin, you are a freaking genius! The fuel pump ran when cranking but not when the car was running, man, who would have thoughts? Obviously you did :)

Now, I'm not sure why the pump won't run after cranking so I just hard wired it to a main ignition wire and we'll try to figure it out from here. Anyone have any idea?

bozo-merlin

I had the same issue 3 years ago on a "GT2" (ST182 3SGE+FWD + 3SGTE) so i am not a genius, you have a lot of chance i read your post that's all :lol:

About your -8AN thinking
- no matter the ID hose for fuelling your engine : every FP (even a tired one) could push at least 29psi at idle (which is enough).
- no matter the ID hose for fuelling your engine : pressure will fall only when pump can't flow at the desired FPR+boost pressure and IDC are high