School me on the Apex'i SAFC

underscore

I've got one of these coming in the mail shortly, it was an impulse buy so I didn't really look into the specifics of using one with a 3SGTE at first. Now I'm reading that using something like this on a 3SGTE is more likely to blow up my motor than increase my power at all? Right now the car is bone stock aside from a boost gauge and soon a 3" exhaust and boost controller.

So to those of you who have used an SAFC or done more research than I have about them, can I safely gain some power by using it? Or should I just go and resell it right away because I'm more likely to blow my motor than anything else?

Thanks in advance.

MrDB

TBH sell it on you will get little gains and you need dyno time anyway to tune it.. Only does fuel and looks pretty on your dash...

Altering the AFM ( fuel ) causes timing changes and thats how to blow things up if you go to made with adjustments...

RoAdbOy

i'm still use a apexi safc in my st185 gen2.
the most blow-up engine reason in 3sgte's is to lean it up more than -%10 point.
this will cause high ignition timing changes.
when you don't set the safc setting points lower than negative %10, then its nothing to worry about.
i'm running the car since approximate 3months with safc (highest negative point -9%), FCD, and 16psi of boost.
:)

http://carpron.com/multisite/v/Upload/c ... =x398887c7

here you can see the table of timing changes... step by step.
good luck.

underscore

awesome, thanks. I may give it a try then. Would you say a FCD is a must have before doing any of this? Or is it only needed because you're running 16psi?

Also what kind of gains did you see? Anything significant?

RoAdbOy

FCD is only needed to run more boost then the fuelcut level of gen2 :) i use a fcd only to run 16psi.
the first thing you need to set the SAFC is a wideband afr gauge. you must read the numbers and set the safc point accordingly :) or you go to tuner for a dyno-tune.
my afr reading are without safc setting = sometimes 8.8afr / 9afr or 9.2afr.
but after a good setting the car runs now 11.5afr.
i can only say awesome response :D you can feel how faster the car now is.
with anything stock (9psi & 9afr) i tried a race from 2nd gear 60kph, with my other car, a civic vtec b16a2 and the celica wins by 3car lenghts. but after running 16psi & 11.5afr i can't see anymore the vtec in my mirror :D :D i thing it's more than 7car lenghts now.
when you tune it properly and not more than -10% i don't think it would be any problem.
good luck :)

underscore

great info to have, thanks! I'm apparently good to 17.5 PSI so I'll leave out the FCD, now I just need to hunt down a cheap wideband and get my mechanic/tuner buddy to help me out.