st165 to st185turbo/manifold OPTION 2 *updated*

//Zee-Roh//

How the HECK did you guys get the dp off? I can't get the blace bolt that's holding it on next the one of the engine mounts...any tips? That's the only bolt left, and it's driving me CRAZY!!!

d1alltrac

//Zee-Roh//":11fmfcfh said:
How the HECK did you guys get the dp off? I can't get the blace bolt that's holding it on next the one of the engine mounts...any tips? That's the only bolt left, and it's driving me CRAZY!!!

Liquid wrench, pb blaster, do you have a compressor and an impact wrench/gun? turn up the boost on the compressor :p

//Zee-Roh//

Finally got it off, but damaged my PERFECT condition radiator in the process. I literally went made and ripped it off LOL.. Some pretty big fuckin' dents in it....I'm SOOOOOOOOO pissed off.

jgdynamics

reviving the thread but got a q...

so to run an aftermarket dp, such as one made for the st185... we must buy a spacer w/ extended studs to make it work?

or is there another way?

d1alltrac

I didn't need a spacer on the DP. It's a little harder to bolt them together but it still works fine. I'm using one of the crappy ebay downpipes :oops:

88st165

i didnt use any spacer in the end.... but i did try a spacer that was equal in thickness to the manifold spacer and it caused all kinds of clearence issues with the midpipe.... i just use the metal type gasket b/c its slightly thicker than the standard paper type and last alot longer. i am running an aussie d/p....

:D
Bloody outstanding, I knew it could be done, have done the same thing, but have a wee oil leak that I see can be fixxed (off comes the turbo again....)
Thanks for helping this confused kiwi!

1Bryce1

i have the tubular manifold on my st165 and am also doing twin entry but what i find out to be easy and look good is getting braided oil feed and return lines along with adapter i found out about from another build, i would love to show you pictures but i havent done it completely yet.

monkey8oi

Just wanted to drop my 2 cents in.. I did the exact same thing in regards to the oil feed/return pipe with the bend.. Under boost pressure, that kink where the bend is has a good chance of bursting.. i was driving on my way to the tuner and under boost that bend on the oil feed/return pipe bursted open and needless to say i never made it to the tuner. Just FYI.. Another option instead of bending the hard lines is to cut the hard line and weld AN fittings to them and run steel braided hoses.. that's where i'm at now with it.

klue

yea you have to have a good feel for the metal not to fatigue it to much.

I did end up machining a flange to use on the ct2X turbos

monkey8oi

yeah, especially with that smaller oil line.. but it's hard to get it shaped the way you want without over kinking the metal. i ended up cutting and welding an fittings on the end of them. i didn't want to risk busting it again on the road. great write up nontheless tho..

klue

true, although I had my completely stock set up burst on the road that's why i went this route.

93cc

I have had the org. and a new supply line crack on me in the last two months... Anyone know of a kit with braided lines I can buy or instruction on to mod the stock one with braided lines.

monkey8oi

ebay also has a kit for this that comes with the steel braided lines.. after my second attempt to cut the hard lines and weld AN fittings to it, it still burst.. i ended up finding a kit on ebay for it that was pretty cheap.. still working as of now and i've had it on for a couple months now..

93cc

monkey8oi":at90wvre said:
ebay also has a kit for this that comes with the steel braided lines.. after my second attempt to cut the hard lines and weld AN fittings to it, it still burst.. i ended up finding a kit on ebay for it that was pretty cheap.. still working as of now and i've had it on for a couple months now..

I saw the one on ebay but couldn't tell how it connected to the the block and oil pan.

I can make a kit for you, but I will need your measurements.

what measurements would you need?

klue

You can not weld the stock lines, to adapt them for use with AN fittings. My procedure is to braze them on, the lower temperature yields less stress on the part; thus no cracking issue. OEM equipment is brazed on, I have countless cars modified this way. No issues so far :)

Measurements would be the measurements of the lines you need in a length. Every kit is made to order, with countless turbo, position, options.