Scion radio pioneer conversion

CMS-GT4

Reason for using scion radio: I don't want any high profile head units in my car, while nice, I have a policy to not gives thieves any visual reasons to break into my cars and have so far been successful. I want a radio with modern features and ipod integration.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the methods required for installing a scion radio into a system 10 equipped car.
My goal is to get one that allows the ipod cable, but will settle for an aux only version if I have to.

Quotes from another thread:

88gt4DE":oycl1svi said:
Some scion ones work too , I have 3 new ones out of new scions that had radio upgrades .... one is a t1807 , other two are t1808's one with a missing knob and one with both knobs but on has a little scuff on it .... all work perfect :) If you ebay those codes it will show you what they look like 8) However they are double din radios so you would lose a pocket under radio if you have one ...

BoostedBlueToyotas":oycl1svi said:
The Scion radios have internal amplifiers. The system 10 wiring setup basically has a seperate harness that runs from the amp with one connector that plugs into fusebox in passenger side kick panel (probably for the subwoofer in the door) and then a harness that runs to the radio. This end has 2 connectors, one is the 15 pin that goes into system 10 radio and one is a connector that plugs into the connector that would plug into non-system 10 radios. Remove this connector to the system 10 harness and you probably could plug it into an amplified scion radio just like you would plug it into a stock (non system 10) celica radio from the day. In either case you will loose the door speakers.

Harness made for the scion radios to use external amps. Something to consider when integrating with system 10. We might be able to make our own, but $40 is not a bad price to pay.
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/124-a ... rness.html

This is all the information and notes I have so far, I will add what I discover and if any of you have any info as well please share.

Open question: Does this radio require programing?

I dont know if the scion radios have RCA preouts. I doubt it and I think you would need them to convert it to use the system 10 amp and door speakers.

lumbercis

I think you're doing this the hard way by fixating on Scion radios. Read the thread I linked to on mr2oc the last time we talked about this that had all the plugs and pinouts...that should make it all pretty clear...

In order from easiest to hardest:

1) Just get another Toyota 15-pin, externally amplified radio...plug in and go. I used a radio from a 6th gen. But there's a Rav4 radio that also plugs in that has an aux input you could use for an ipod or whatever. Downside is this pin arrangement is pretty rare so you'll have to hunt around until another one of those Rav4 radios comes up for sale.
2) Use an externally amplified toyota radio that has some other pin setup. Buy a Metra adapter harness off ebay, get it wired up correctly, plug in and go.
3) Use an internally amplified toyota radio with non-15pin plug (like the Scion radio). Same adapter harness process as an externally amped radio, except you'll lose the door speakers. God knows how to get something like this to run the door speakers too.

I'd take the claims of Scion radios working in our car with a grain of salt until someone posts a video of one working in an alltrac. Until then it's just forum hearsay...

Droptop93

Ill see if my best friend still has the factory radio to his old tc(swaped it for another aftermarket one) then traded it in....un sure if he reinstalled the factory one. Ill ask and see.

CMS-GT4

I already have a kenwood system that lets me tap into the factory radio. The only issue is the factory radio does not have RDS so its a bit of trial and error to make it work. I am going to go ahead and order a scion radio when I find a good price for it and start working out the setup. I like that I can put the ipod away and control it with head unit. Right now I have a ipod mounted on the dash of my Z that I had to buy a special app so it was not such a hassle to work while driving.

Here is an install in a supra.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showth ... stallation

88gt4DE

CMS-GT4":3b660k7t said:
I already have a kenwood system that lets me tap into the factory radio. The only issue is the factory radio does not have RDS so its a bit of trial and error to make it work. I am going to go ahead and order a scion radio when I find a good price for it and start working out the setup. I like that I can put the ipod away and control it with head unit. Right now I have a ipod mounted on the dash of my Z that I had to buy a special app so it was not such a hassle to work while driving.

Here is an install in a supra.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showth ... stallation

I have a few scion radio laying around that were take off's ... any idea whick one your after ? model number ( on front face plate ) ?

CMS-GT4

The t1807 version. I think it has 3 knobs. It's the one with iPod options. I am looking at a couple on eBay. I am trying to make sure I find one with no scratches.

88gt4DE

CMS-GT4":27hsbjg6 said:
The t1807 version. I think it has 3 knobs. It's the one with iPod options. I am looking at a couple on eBay. I am trying to make sure I find one with no scratches.

I know I have t1807 and t1807 ... ill look later and see whats up ... they were new inventory take outs to install upgraded radios ... i think one may be missing a knob ... let me look at them and I'll let ya know.

CMS-GT4

So I got my Scion radio in. Only issue is that it is too wide for the bezel. I am going to go ahead and try and get it woking once my wires get here, then I will try and figure out a bezel solution later. This might be my chance to fiberglass something.

CMS-GT4

So far I have everything in. 1st I need to figure out where the RCAs are on my chasis then I am going to wire up the patch harness and see if this radio works. Then I need to sort out a bracket to fit it. I wil keep you all posted on my results.

CMS-GT4

So I think I am going to simplify my life and get something I can plug and play. This radio will work, but I won't want to put that much time into it. If anyone is interested in buying it let me know and I will sell it for what I got it for.

cueiko1

Hi!

Just wanna show scion stereo in my st165
it's plug & play (i didn't modified anything, speakers working good even antenna works going up when tunning a radio station :)
if you want add an amplifier you'll need buy - line output converter and that's it!!!! :D

scaled.php

CMS-GT4

Good to know. I ended up getting something with Preamps since I want to simplify my life. I need to list this scion radio for sale when I get time.