headlight conversion

Flying Bajan

Finally got around to installing my Raybrig headlamps in my jdm ST185..... Even with the standard bulbs, they are significantly better than the stock headlamps.... Going to add a set of PIAA xtreme white bulbs and see what they're like then :)

Landon

uh guys, i'm getting kinda excited about something. that retrofit company that shows the rx7 with a bi xenon conversion, sells a kit that is basically all you would need except for basically installing the lenses in the car. they also say they do small group buys and such, so i emailed them about it and we'll see what they say, but this could be a really good option for better headlights. let me know what you guys think. 315 for a full kit isn't bad at all.

Landon

i think it would be kinda whatever you want.. cause you could make the lens to sit in the pop up however you wanted, so far as it opened up enough to let the projector lens have full clearance..

Hotrodhendrix

I had an idea last night for the smaller projecter lenses. The issue I was running into is how to mount them and be able to direct the light correctly. I was tossing old 3kgt parts away last night and ran into a set of 1st gen pop up 3kgt headlights from an old vr4 I had. They use a smaller 4x6 bulb and a very similar unit behind it.

headlight5.jpg

headlight4.jpg

headlight2.jpg

headlight.jpg

On the 3kgt it has a backing plate behind the surround which holds the lights in the pick. On the celica it just bolts to the whole unit. It looks like I should be able to remove the 3kgt backing plate and weld it on to the celica unit. This giving the stock base to use the 3kgt headlight and leveling holder. As far as the plastic surround goes I will be cutting the inner portion of the 3kgt's out and fiberglassing it inside of the celica's. This gives me the perfect shape and holes already to adjust the headlight level without removing anything.

Mix this will some 4x6 ecode housings/ cheap generic hid kit or nice bulbs
http://store.sharphid.com/product_p/hella164hbec.htm

Cost:
1. e code housings 100
2. hid kit/nice bulbs 40
3. 3000gt headlight pieces FREE (these are VERY cheap)
4. welding FREE (wont take much or maybe able to bolt it down with some planning)
5. fiber glass FREE ( I already have the stuff. If it works out well I will make a mold of it.)

Total = 140 low rise kit

CMS-GT4

Keep us posted. I had considered using dodge stealth pop ups but there was not battery on the one at the junk yard here to get them popped up to remove. If you get this to work, it might be worth a trip back there. I do wish they were as wide as the celica lenses though.

Hotrodhendrix

CMS-GT4":1zplkl3m said:
Keep us posted. I had considered using dodge stealth pop ups but there was not battery on the one at the junk yard here to get them popped up to remove. If you get this to work, it might be worth a trip back there. I do wish they were as wide as the celica lenses though.

True. They would look better if wider. The 3kgt and stealth use the same basic units so either one will work.

Hotrodhendrix

Ok so now I am a bit confused.. 3000gt 4x6.. Celica 7x6.. They should be the same width just shorter. I will have to put them up against each other. Now that I look at them in the pic they do look really close.

Landon

if you put hid's in those... what kinda pattern would you get? i feel like without a projector lens it'd kinda be shitty? what do you think?
i should remember this, but what our stock lens? is it H6054?

concealer404

Landon":1zfhky71 said:
if you put hid's in those... what kinda pattern would you get? i feel like without a projector lens it'd kinda be shitty? what do you think?

Yep. It'd be shitty. Potentially even illegal depending on your state.

i should remember this, but what our stock lens? is it H6054?

Yep it is!

Hotrodhendrix

True. Im just going to go with a nice bulb and be done. Some searching on the enet returns mix results with these housings and HIDs...

Landon

with that fact, i dunno if it would be helpful, but my old cherokee i had a headlight conversion to a delta housing with xenon bulbs. i was extremely happy with the lighting these provided. for like 150 bucks.. might be a good direct aftermarket option.. it seems like it would be a direct fit...

Hotrodhendrix

With the lights changed to the much more common 4x6 size then many more options will be available. Plust your car will look sleepy! :D

CMS-GT4

I wonder if there is a running light hid kit strong enough to stand on it's own that could be mounted on the side vents. Then a conversion for the head lights would not be needed at all.

Landon

shleepy is good. lol. josh, do you mean like as the main headlight? because one thing i really like and will prolly do once my dream comes true and i get a cs front bumper.. lol. is to have the projector lens fog lights that retro fit offers. they look super clean.

CMS-GT4

Yeah, thats what I mean. Why can't we run a projector in the lower vents? Certain celica model running lights fit, so we have lenses. We just need the back and brackets then, BAM, projector. No need to convert popups. Just use them for extra lights when its super dark.

Landon

hey! thats a thought.. that never crossed my mind.. so like you could fit the lends in the fake carbon fiber slots right? are you thinking just for low beam? cause that would totally work. or get a bixenon lens. either way that saves a huge hassle of fitment.. how would you wire something like that? shoot i should know. i'm taking body electronics this quarter so i just might have to look into that..
oh! you mean like in the stock foglight area? would that be to low?

CMS-GT4

I had thought about fitting something in the grill area before. I think you would have to cut the grill, but I think a lens could be put in there. Its worth finding out if something could be put in the lower venter on the sides. Its it too low, then no, but if it gives good viewing distance, I don't see why not.