transmission /gearing question

dustinbart

I have an 88 all track that I just rebuilt. I have never driven an all track before but have a great deal of experience driving manual. I was VERY surprised at how how the gearing is im talking either ride the clutch like a b#$*@ or rev to 5-6the grand to get the wheels moving, is this normal? Reverse is a complete different story and very easy to move around in. But first wants to chug out until the car gets moving like 10-15I mph.ideas?

dustinbart

Really? I don't know it shifts smooth no funny noises doesn't pop out of gear and only has 70k on it. I do have an extra transmission but if it is toast il be heartbroken. It does have a new clutch and flywheel as well could that be a factor? Also the only way I know of to get the trans out is the pull the engine out the bottom with it. Any easier way?

Redrkt01

Yeah, I was retarded an hour ago when I said that. Jumping to conclusions........

You might just have clutch/flywheel problems. If the drivetrain can't grip the engine then the culprit would be where they interface one another: clutch/flywheel.

dustinbart

First off thank you for replying so quick. Could it be I may have to give the clutch and fly a little time to seat before I can really make a judgement? Im new to awful as well. Feels like the clutch grips but the car stumbles trying to get going like im starting off in 3rd. Maybe I just need to get use to high gears after driving a LOW geared fj60

Redrkt01

Okay, so it sounds like you're not sure why the car isn't working right. I assumed that since you posted in this sub forum and entitled the thread as something transmission related that you had some incling of an idea regarding what's wrong. It sounds like you might not have a transmission problem at all. Also, why does you clutch need to seat? Did you just install a new one? Additionally, I'd like to know how the engine performs in neutral. Does it rev nicely? Does the engine respond immediately when you press the accelerator?

dustinbart

You are very correct saying i have no idea why its not starting off in 1st without riding on the clutch until it gets moving above 10 mph. The clutch and flywheel are both brand new not even 10 miles on them. The car idles fine although sometimes it does vary between 1-2 rpm but stays constant once warmed up and when I hit the gas there is zero hesitation. Normal? Ideas? Thanks again

Redrkt01

If the engine is behaving normally independent of the tranny, then the something is wrong on the tranny side. How new is the clutch?....you didn't say.

dustinbart

The clutch is new new like 10 miles new. Its a stage 2 F1 clutch. A cheap clutch I know but I also have the old OEM clutch I just felt the need to upgrade after adding lots of mods and rebuilding the engine

brad0105

dustinbart":i8nc4zrc said:
The clutch is new new like 10 miles new. Its a stage 2 F1 clutch. A cheap clutch I know but I also have the old OEM clutch I just felt the need to upgrade after adding lots of mods and rebuilding the engine

I bought the same exact clutch, and my all trac has a really hard time shifting, and now the pedal goes to the floor, and theres a bad smell from the engine bay, I just swapped engines and tranny's. its an 88 with a st185 engine. Could this be the slave cylinder? Or does this mean this ebay clutch is garbage and it needs to be replaced?

DudeMan

If your pedal is sitting on the floor then it sounds like you've lost hydraulic pressure in the system, could be your problem with shifting too.

Check for any leaks around the slave cylinder, its hardline, the attached soft line and the clutch pedal.

If they all check out, bleed the system.

Have a friend push the clutch pedal while watching the slave, make sure the rod extends properly.

Adjust your clutch pedal as per the service manual.

brad0105

DudeMan":flz3un3w said:
If your pedal is sitting on the floor then it sounds like you've lost hydraulic pressure in the system, could be your problem with shifting too.

Check for any leaks around the slave cylinder, its hardline, the attached soft line and the clutch pedal.

If they all check out, bleed the system.

Have a friend push the clutch pedal while watching the slave, make sure the rod extends properly.

Adjust your clutch pedal as per the service manual.

Thanks, and yeah I just got done inspecting everything even before I read your post, but guess what?! Master cylinder is leaking pretty bad, I can't believe I didn't notice! :bangshead:
Well new master AND slave ordered just in case! Thanks!