Removed side door molding/guards pictures?

toayoztan

I was curious if anyone has a picture of their ST185 with removed side door molding/guards?

I saw a picture or two a while back, it was a red car. But I forgot who's car it was, and I tried a search briefly but didn't find any pics.

I'm debating if I want to leave mine off, as the body/paint guy I'm going through said he could weld up and shave down the holes if I got rid of them.

Thanks!

Bryan

WarTowels

This is my ST184... narrow body... same idea:

DSC02499.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

-Towels

WarTowels

I guess I should give my opinion on it. It's 'okay', it works best on black imo.

Would I do it to my Alltrac?

No.

-Towels

toayoztan

Thanks guys...I will have to sit on this idea for a bit until i make a decision...

I think the problem is, our side skirt area curls in so suddenly, it leaves somewhat a void in the side body area w/o the moldings.

With some decent skirts, I think the molding removed would look nicer.

Bryan

deecee

i've always felt that the moulding provides some body to the side of the car as it is only subtley curved. If there were harder lines along the sides of the car, then it would be an easier decision to remove the mouldings.

aus jd 2703

Has any one seen this on a white car? Or has any one photo shopped it? I was thinking of trying it if/when I respray my gt4

Autobot

I had them removed when I put a body kit on my silver car, but I don't think I would remove them from my All-Trac.

zblu81

I think i have a couple good pics of mine(w/ removed mouldings) in my alltrac.net album but I can't find my album. :rofl: Help me so I can help you!

Hotrodhendrix

Thinking about this one mine now.. Seems like the passenger side molding is uneven. Anyone have pics of this on a lowered white celica by chance? :shrug:

Hotrodhendrix

I used fiber glass to delete my antenna and rear wiper. Down side is I cant weld. Wonder if I could get away with fiber glass on the holes.

toayoztan

Could you do mig? Doesn't need to be pretty.

Just put a brass backing like I said in the other post.

Just make sure you either go slow or use an air compressor with air gun to keep it cool as to not warp the area from welding.

Or, you could spot/tack weld up a square piece that's somewhat curved/formed, tack it up in 4 corners on the back side, then fiber over that for support. This can help to ensure no depression/sinking over time.

Bryan

tubasteve

Kind of a neat picture...I took last year after cleaning out my garage...my red car had the bumps holes welded my mig, up close you can't tell, inside the door...looks like ass. I had taken them off before painting to make sure it come out great, 3 days before taking to body shop, I had them draped across back seat....they contoured to my seats and had horrible look...I still have them...but wouldn't get them painted... I like both ways don't notice either way...

-jr

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328934502849.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328934502849.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,027

XLarge

Got the body of my CS cleaned while it was rebuilded after I´ve totalled the car last year. Sideguard gone as well as the rear wiper and all water spray nozzels. As a bonus the used fenders I´ve bought came from a US ST185 so they didn´t have the holes for the side indicators. All other holes were closed by welding.

sainz_151.jpg

sainz_157.jpg