For those that "upgraded," ideas on stock boost gauge?

toayoztan

So, going MAP with the AEM EMS-4, the stock boost gauge will be "dead" and not doing a thing.

What did you guys do about this...leave it? Rig it up to read pressure vs vac? Replace your whole cluster with GTS?

Just curious.

Bryan

celicat93

I was thinking I would mount an aftermarket one over it. I don't know that it would function any better than it did for boost. :shrug:

klue

I just blanked mine off, it sucks anyway :p

You can fit some smaller gauges in there with some modifications, or if your using AEM ems, you can use the serial gauges to read outputs off the EMS directly

So cool :p

underscore

my plan is to get a slim gauge, and mount it in front of the stock boost gauge. same deal with water temp.

rio_cyber

afaik mr2 guys put omori boost gauge in there clusters , so that should fit ...

omori%200006.JPG

http://forums.bcmr2.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11324

lumbercis

what makes the stocker so slow and innacurate? If it's just the sensor, why not get an improved sensor and rig it up to the stock gauge indicator? I think that would be pretty cool for BPU type setups..

underscore

I know the stocker is way slower and doesn't have any numerical increments, I think it might be run through the ECU hence the speed? I'm sure you could wire it up to run directly off a better sensor but then you still don't have numerical increments on the gauge so I don't find it super useful.

sMARTINside

concealer404":b3g06j5d said:
Was that a serious comment?

Yes, I was very serious. I have a innovate DL32 module that measures signal from sensors. I plugged it into the stock map sensor to monitor boost. I am amazed how fast responding it is compared to my mechanical gauge that has to wait until pressure rises in a tiny little tubing. The pressure sensor is in the engine bay, so there is minimal tubing, hence minimal gauge lag. That is my experience with electric boost gauges. I never meant the slow stock electrical one.

concealer404

sMARTINside":3k7mjct2 said:
concealer404":3k7mjct2 said:
Was that a serious comment?

Yes, I was very serious. I have a innovate DL32 module that measures signal from sensors. I plugged it into the stock map sensor to monitor boost. I am amazed how fast responding it is compared to my mechanical gauge that has to wait until pressure rises in a tiny little tubing. The pressure sensor is in the engine bay, so there is minimal tubing, hence minimal gauge lag. That is my experience with electric boost gauges. I never meant the slow stock electrical one.

Weird.

Not to argue or anything, but the tubing would pressurize at the same rate as your intake manifold. I would be willing to bet that what you're seeing is more a function of dampening than anything.

I have a mechanical on my Miata and it's ridiculously fast. I can watch it fluctuate on bumps in the road that cause my foot to barely move on the gas pedal. On the same topic, the mechanical in my MX6 is pretty slow. I blame the gauge, not the tubing. The miata has an Autometer made for Flyin' Miata. The MX6 has a Prosport.

I may be old school, but i subscribe to the thought of "unless you live in CA, there's no reason to have an electronic gauge.*"

*for display purposes only. If you've got some fancy electronic feeding both a display and an EMS, then that's fine. Clean way to install.

sMARTINside

My mechanical gauge might be slower than most. It's a Autometer Liquid 2 5/8''. Maybe the liquid in it and the bigger inertia of the needle (compared to 2 1/16'' gauges) make it kind of numb.

underscore":dacls9qa said:
I know the stocker is way slower and doesn't have any numerical increments, I think it might be run through the ECU hence the speed? I'm sure you could wire it up to run directly off a better sensor but then you still don't have numerical increments on the gauge so I don't find it super useful.

The gauge takes it's input directly at the map sensor signal, so it is not driven by the ECU.