My GT42R st185 project

tjdouble07

l0ch0w":1djzzcvc said:
were you ever able to solve your ignition breakup issues? If not I know of an inexpensive solution :)
No. Still plagued above 40 psi. There are a few COPs with built in ignitors I have been looking into. A friend of mine is converting his evo to use yaris coils, and he brought one to work for me to test out, fitment wise. What solution did you have?

l0ch0w

I didnt want to sound like an idiot up front tbh...

I just wanted to see first what he was considering to be his problem. Which I would assume is because those coil packs cant light off his fuel under higher rpm.

Since its out in the open... I figured I would make a suggestion to switch over to the LQ9 packs because of their higher amperage rating and longer dwell capacities. They top out at about 5.5ms of dwell, which is more than twice the dwell of most COPs that are available.

Trevor, are your COPs running through some sort of CDI controller? If so which one?

dragstang86

I find that do be a damn good time for those tiny tiny street tires.
~James

11.70's on street tires is definitely pretty quick for an all trac. I was just wondering how much he thinks there was left in it with good tires. I'm just wondering if maybe I should go bigger than the GT3582R I have sitting here.. Hmm..

toayoztan

^How much power have you handled before?

You'll find that 550awhp is still quite a bit o power to the ground.

You can always go bigger. I would suggest just sticking with the GT35 for now.

Bryan

dragstang86

toayoztan":2khec7wk said:
^How much power have you handled before?

You'll find that 550awhp is still quite a bit o power to the ground.

You can always go bigger. I would suggest just sticking with the GT35 for now.

Bryan

I have been in the 6's @ 200 mph in the 1/4 mile so handling the power isn't an issue lol. I am actually a full time drag racer (hence my screen name), it's what I have done for a living for the past 9 years or so now. The all trac will be my first 4 cylinder build but I have always had a love for the all trac since I was 16 and just finally bought one this past year. Just looking to restore it like yours but just want it to have enough power to be a fun car around the back roads.

dragstang86

aus jd 2703":1tkgz186 said:
Long as you have the cash and a spare car lol 500awhp and reliability don't go well.
I could only dream of that much hp

Yea it definitely isn't a daily driver. Actually I have yet to ever even drive it with the exception of on the trailer and off the trailer into the garage lol. I have had a couple higher horsepower street cars, 750whp trans am, a bunch of mustangs but like I said I am still trying to learn the do's and don'ts of the 4 cylinder stuff. I don't want to make it something I have to work on all the time, as I have plenty of those cars now, so I do want it to be fairly reliable. I just don't want it to be able to get out of its own way too. A fun awd car is one thing I have never owned and I love all tracs so what better car to build!

toayoztan

dragstang86: You know, I just 2 seconds ago I was actually wondering what your sn meant heh.

On these cars, 500+ hasn't been hit too often, and reliability isn't exactly established just yet due to lack of long term feedback from a good amount of members.

To all four wheels, 500hp will hook to the ground pretty nicely and still be really fun. If you want to go balls out, you will need tons and tons of money for this car to get the power and drivetrain you need.

Would be nice to see you go for it!

I plan to get mine there eventually, but i'm only setting the bar to 500+ right now, then probably redo the setup on the same or different block once I get a bit more time on my hands. For now, I can at least modify everything else (like you've been reading on my thread!).

Bryan

dragstang86

toayoztan":1t0mnhef said:
dragstang86: You know, I just 2 seconds ago I was actually wondering what your sn meant heh.

On these cars, 500+ hasn't been hit too often, and reliability isn't exactly established just yet due to lack of long term feedback from a good amount of members.

To all four wheels, 500hp will hook to the ground pretty nicely and still be really fun. If you want to go balls out, you will need tons and tons of money for this car to get the power and drivetrain you need.

Would be nice to see you go for it!

I plan to get mine there eventually, but i'm only setting the bar to 500+ right now, then probably redo the setup on the same or different block once I get a bit more time on my hands. For now, I can at least modify everything else (like you've been reading on my thread!).

Bryan

Being such a rare car I want to try and maintain the spirit of the car as much as possible. So I don't want to get into making it an all out track car or anything so I'll probably just stick around the 500 mark. Make it clean, handle well and quick enough for what I'm going to use it for. It's not something I am going to be running at the track except maybe once to see what it will do so I'm hoping the diff, axles, transfer case etc. all hold up fine. As always, thanks for your input!

tjdouble07

l0ch0w":1gehwcat said:
Trevor, are your COPs running through some sort of CDI controller? If so which one?

I'm currently running an MSD DIS-4 plus HO

In other news, looks like I might be seeing what I can do with a set of Yaris/Prius COPs if they are as good as I've been led to believe they are... Looks like they might just work, fitment wise... :smokes:

IMAG0143.jpg

Mafix

you had denso coils correct?

i have the aem version with a dli and no issues...but only half your power.

l0ch0w

I just dont know of any COP based coils that can take more than 2 or 3 ms of dwell...

Dwell time for the most part = spark power. The more dwell a coil can handle, the more power it can push out. Its entirely a function of inductance load on the primary windings to be fed to the secondary windings. At some point you reach the limits of physics... The drawbacks to coils that can handle more dwell time is that they also have cooling issues. Beyond a certain point, 8-10ms or so, it can also start to effect maximum rpm. Do you know what the dwell time is on these yaris coils I think its 3ms but im not sure? If its still only 2 or 3 ms max then I dont think its going to solve your breakup problems. I know I keep pushing them... but the lq9 coils handle up to 6ms of dwell, and are internally controlled, so even if you mess up and set the dwell to 10ms it will internally regulate to 6 and run just as cool.

Ethanol and q16 require stronger sparks to light off correctly than does standard pump gas, which means if you want to run those fuels you are going to need to be able to light them off at 9000+ RPM. Flex fuel vehicles typically have a spark plug gap of .050 or greater just for reference. What is your plug gap?

AEM and a few other companies have CDI based coil on plugs, and while CDI can run very well, if you ever plan on ever driving it on the street, you basically need to buy two of them. They are still so highly unreliable that few get more than a thousand miles out of the controller before it shits the bed. I know you want the clean look of coil on plug, but it may be inevitable that you will have to go with external coil packs...

Hopefully these yaris coils can do the trick, although I cant imagine they are much different than the 1zz COPs...

Hic

l0ch0w":ke2tk9si said:
I just dont know of any COP based coils that can take more than 2 or 3 ms of dwell...

Dwell time for the most part = spark power. The more dwell a coil can handle, the more power it can push out. Its entirely a function of inductance load on the primary windings to be fed to the secondary windings. At some point you reach the limits of physics... The drawbacks to coils that can handle more dwell time is that they also have cooling issues. Beyond a certain point, 8-10ms or so, it can also start to effect maximum rpm. Do you know what the dwell time is on these yaris coils I think its 3ms but im not sure? If its still only 2 or 3 ms max then I dont think its going to solve your breakup problems. I know I keep pushing them... but the lq9 coils handle up to 6ms of dwell, and are internally controlled, so even if you mess up and set the dwell to 10ms it will internally regulate to 6 and run just as cool.

Ethanol and q16 require stronger sparks to light off correctly than does standard pump gas, which means if you want to run those fuels you are going to need to be able to light them off at 9000+ RPM. Flex fuel vehicles typically have a spark plug gap of .050 or greater just for reference. What is your plug gap?

AEM and a few other companies have CDI based coil on plugs, and while CDI can run very well, if you ever plan on ever driving it on the street, you basically need to buy two of them. They are still so highly unreliable that few get more than a thousand miles out of the controller before it shits the bed. I know you want the clean look of coil on plug, but it may be inevitable that you will have to go with external coil packs...

Hopefully these yaris coils can do the trick, although I cant imagine they are much different than the 1zz COPs...

From the first hand experience, 2.4ms of dwell, 2L 16V engine, 10:1 comp ratio.
2.7bar of boost from 9180 efr
No breakup on 9000 on straight meth, 4400cc of injection per cylinder.

klue

Any fuel with higher octane is going to be more resistant to ignition, thats the point right :D I can't see you needing excessive dwell to light off the mixture. Never had to run a car past 3ms to get it to light properly myself. Dwell is the charge up time required to charge the coil which is not just a function of the coil but also your ignition timing
Getting rid of the dizzy is nice to increase the tuning resolution, but necessity? not really you can hit 4-500hp with a stock ignition system new OEM components