clutch problem

I have a 92 all trac that is basically stock. The car was sitting for a few years and i finally fixed the problems and when i started driving it again i noticed my clutch slips when I'm in a higher gear trying to get on the throttle. It did not slip before it sat for 2 years but now it slips pretty bad. Any ideas or do i have to put a new clutch in it. I don't really have that much money to throw around. any help would be appreciated.

sMARTINside

Maybe the rear crankshaft seal has cracked and is leaking in the clutch, making it slip. The only way to repair this is to take out the engine and transmission and split them apart.

sMARTINside

Do you have a good feeling on the pedal? When you engage the clutch, does it engage smoothly at the friction point? Does the clutch disengage completely? If it just can't hold when torque is applied on it, it is possible that the pressure plate doesn't give enough pressure on the disc, or the mating surfaces lost friction over time. The disc could be glazed. Sure it is funny that the clutch started acting like this after a long period of not using it, maybe it was just about to slip.

I broke the clutch on my ST185, once, and figured out that there was no other way to do it, than taking out the whole power train. Anyway, if you have to change the clutch or get there, it's not a bigger job to change the crank seal. It take 2 more minutes... I highly recommend that you change the seal, even if it's not leaking, when doing the clutch, being preventive. You don't want to crack the engine from the transmission twice in a short period of time...

temperacerguy

Darkenedtendencies":36dfonrt said:
that is worse then replacing the clutch lol.....bearer of bad news lol im hoping for clutch problem.

Actually, rear main seal is something many people change as a matter of course when they do a clutch job... It takes 3 more minutes to pop the seal out once you get to the clutch.

To get to the clutch you have to split the engine and transmission apart In any case, you're going to have to split the engine and transmission apart

sMARTINside

I just thought about this: If it's oil that is falling into the clutch, there could be some dripping in between the bell housing of the transmission and engine. Is your car oil wet in that area?

sMARTINside

The disc must be glazed, in that case. The only solution is to change it. Alltracs are a love thing. You have to put all your heart into it, because they are not as easy as they seam, to work on. It takes time and patience, but when it runs, they love grows back again!