Group buy on High Output alternators.

temperacerguy

OK, so I am having a high output alternator being made for my ST185, and I contacted Dominick Iraggi with Iraggi alternators.

He said that he can make a 180amp (factory is 80amp) bolt in, plug in alternator for $399.

Well, I asked him if he's interested in doing a group buy... he said "Sure, if you get 10 people together, I will knock 20% off of the price and include custom painting, machining, and shipping" so that comes to $319 for a custom 180amp alternator. I also asked "is this only for the "ST185" his answer was "Any make, any model"

Here's a Youtube video of the testing of one of his alternators vs the competition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnI0tKMfI4o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
I have no idea what crappy sound is going on in the background, but in the first test he's showing that at 150 amps draw, the competition is dropping voltage so it's draining the battery. In the 2nd video, it shows one of his 300amp alternators keeping a high voltage even with a draw of over 300 amps.

Here's pictures of his work:
401162_10150508747131751_169812256750_9217541_1225146663_n.jpg

401162_10150508747136751_169812256750_9217542_1343544928_n.jpg

401162_10150508747146751_169812256750_9217544_2042398924_n.jpg

There are many more on his facebook page....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Iraggi-Alternator/169812256750 If you read his facebook, you will see alot of "welcome back" or "you're back!" posts. Dominick is in Lavergne, TN. A couple years ago he was nearly completely wiped out by the floods out by Nashville. He's been through some tough times, and now he's back! Very impressive for a small business to survive something like that.

Oh, and let me tell you what kind of customer service he offers. 5 years ago, I organized a group buy on the Evo forums. He sold something like 15 alternators there... Well I was the guy who arranged the group buy, and only one person had a problem with the alternator... ME (guess nice guys finish last). After some trouble shooting E-mails, Dominick said "Just send it back and I'll take a look at it and fix it". Well just then I got hit with a number of life altering events... Moved, purchased a house, fell in love, changed jobs yadda yadda yadda... and the alternator became a low priority and ended up on a shelf somewhere. 5 years pass, and I see it sitting there, and decide to E-mail Dominick... The warranty is long gone because I didn't follow up and do what I needed to do. What does Dominick do? he says "No problem, send it on in" So he's fixing my alternator as I type this. Now that's some good customer service!

If you are interested in a high output alternator for your car (any car)... the group buy is being hosted over at the other site.

Here's a link.

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/sh...-High-Output-Alternators-(Iraggi-Alternators)

dragstang86

Quite a coincidence. I just started an inquiry with the below company who have some really nice billet case alternators. We have a DEA surveillance truck in the shop for some fabrication work that has all the wire tap equipment in the back of it and has a dual alternator set up on it from this company and it is a sweet looking piece. They don't currently list something for our cars but they have a ton of applications so one for our cars could be possibility. Figured I would just post this as it could be another option for you as well.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/hig ... ators.html

Corey

Those all look great.

Personally I like the look of the billet alternators linked above ^

temperacerguy

I checked DC's site...

nearly all of their alternators (and all of their Toyota alternators) are cast aluminum cases, not the billet shown in the link.

That being said, I have E-mailed them if they would be willing to make an alternator for the celica and if they are interested in doing a group buy.

temperacerguy

Even more update:

DC's arn't billet.... they are cast alluminum cases that have been machined...

The alternator housings are precision-machined cast aluminum and all components are of OEM quality.

Iraggi offered free machining on his alternators.

dragstang86

temperacerguy":3ba75j27 said:
I checked DC's site...

nearly all of their alternators (and all of their Toyota alternators) are cast aluminum cases, not the billet shown in the link.

That being said, I have E-mailed them if they would be willing to make an alternator for the celica and if they are interested in doing a group buy.

Iraggi will do that same type of machining as the DC ones for that same appearance? If so that perfect!.

temperacerguy

dragstang86":2jxqmjx4 said:
temperacerguy":2jxqmjx4 said:
I checked DC's site...

Iraggi will do that same type of machining as the DC ones for that same appearance? If so that perfect!.

Yeah, he said "free machining", and while alternators are not "High stress" items, any time you machine something, you pull material away from it and make it weaker.. I wouldn't do it...

dragstang86

temperacerguy":26ed07wm said:
dragstang86":26ed07wm said:
temperacerguy":26ed07wm said:
I checked DC's site...

Yeah, he said "free machining", and while alternators are not "High stress" items, any time you machine something, you pull material away from it and make it weaker.. I wouldn't do it...

I wonder how much material he would really have to take off though. I would assume they are just machining off a .010" or so, just enough to remove the casting texture. I like the look for sure! Machined aluminum doesn't stain up when it gets dirty like cast aluminum does either.

WarTowels

Is it being suggested that the DC casings are simply OEM casings that have been machined? As opposed to custom machined aluminum?

The DC one looks completely custom to my eyes.

dual-kit.jpg

This picture is from DC's site, I think it illustrates the difference of the alternators casing presumably with left OEM and right custom.

-Towels

lumbercis

Just a friendly word of advice: I'd check and make sure there aren't any other current or potential group buys going on. We're generally a community that isn't rolling in cash (or we'd have bought a more expensive car :evil: ) so having multiple big-ticket group buys going on at once is a good way to increase your flake rate.

temperacerguy

WarTowels":efjfv420 said:
Is it being suggested that the DC casings are simply OEM casings that have been machined? As opposed to custom machined aluminum?

The DC one looks completely custom to my eyes.

This picture is from DC's site, I think it illustrates the difference of the alternators casing presumably with left OEM and right custom.

-Towels

They are machined cast pieces... The quote here
The alternator housings are precision-machined cast aluminum and all components are of OEM quality.
is from their site here:

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2000~Toyota~4Runner~3.4L-V6-5VZ-FE/13671-180-hp.html

The Denso Hairpin 180 Amp HP series high output alternator produces 180 amps at 1800 engine RPM and 120 amps continually at low idle while capable of up to a 75% generation efficiency. The rectifier is mounted onboard the alternator and consists of 12 40 amp press fit diodes. The brush holder assembly and slip ring are environmentally protected and the bearings are heavy-duty, oversized premium bearings. The alternator housings are precision-machined cast aluminum and all components are of OEM quality. All components have been carefully chosen for maximum performance and reliability

This is the same description on every alternator they sell, including the one that dragstang linked to in his post... None of them are Billet. They are all "OEM" cast, then machined.

As for the picture you posted:
That's a custom alternator made for the picture... The alternator that comes with that dual kit is cast OEM housing....
Here's a picture (from their site):
4_2.jpg

Check the image link... it's all from their website.

temperacerguy

lumbercis":1e0wy5m7 said:
Just a friendly word of advice: I'd check and make sure there aren't any other current or potential group buys going on. We're generally a community that isn't rolling in cash (or we'd have bought a more expensive car :evil: ) so having multiple big-ticket group buys going on at once is a good way to increase your flake rate.

It's tax refund season.... People are spending money.

Also, I am running this group buy through multiple platforms.

dragstang86

4rsnduction":3efx25ac said:
How many group buys are going around at the moment ?

- Front LSD
- Moroso oil pan
- High amp alternator

Did i miss any ?

That's a good thing if you ask me! I'm interested in finding out if that is the type of machining he was referring too..

temperacerguy

Well the lsd is not a group buy its just a whole bunch of people saying they want one. I am doubtful it will get made. So its just the pan and the alternators and i think its only a small group of people who are interested in both.

As for the machining. Yes the appearance machining is what he was talking about.

WarTowels

Sigh, I don't think you are getting what I'm saying all at, temperacerguy.

But I don't have enough interest in attempting to explain it to you.

Cheers,

-Towels

temperacerguy

dragstang86":20sr01sk said:
4rsnduction":20sr01sk said:

- Front LSD
- Moroso oil pan
- High amp alternator

Did i miss any ?

That's a good thing if you ask me! I'm interested in finding out if that is the type of machining he was referring too..

Ok well i looked closely at that alternator that looks billet. If you look closely only the face is machined. The rest of the case (non mounting) is plain casting. Clean but still rough cast. I emailed dominick the link and asked if he could make it look like that

I am just getting mine in jet black and let him do what he wants with the machining

temperacerguy

WarTowels":39jbq5in said:
Sigh, I don't think you are getting what I'm saying all at, temperacerguy.

But I don't have enough interest in attempting to explain it to you.

Cheers,

-Towels
What are you saying then? Dcpower used cast cases like everyone else. It says so in every alternator description. While their advertizing may show a pretty billet case thats not what they ship

dragstang86

temperacerguy":1vwo1x8w said:
While their advertizing may show a pretty billet case thats not what they ship

I'll take a better look at the one at the shop this afternoon. I think it is just the front half of the case that is machined. I think the rear half may just be cast, as it was cast, but I didn't look at it that close.

dragstang86

temperacerguy":3tniz1xh said:
dragstang86":3tniz1xh said:
4rsnduction":3tniz1xh said:

- Front LSD
- Moroso oil pan
- High amp alternator

Did i miss any ?

Ok well i looked closely at that alternator that looks billet. If you look closely only the face is machined. The rest of the case (non mounting) is plain casting. Clean but still rough cast. I emailed dominick the link and asked if he could make it look like that

I am just getting mine in jet black and let him do what he wants with the machining

You are right. I looked at it and the back half is just cast while the front half of the case is machined. Regardless though it looks nice!