[How To] ST165 Hatch Rattle Repair

ZeroDrift

I don't actually have a how to, but more of a request. Anyone have any tips to keep the rear hatch from rattling? Permanent solutions would be preferred! Thank you!

monkey8oi

try replacing the rubber stoppers on both sides that support the hatch when it's closed.. you'll see it on the side.. it's held by two screws.. try to avoid stripping the screws when removing..

88gt4DE

Theres actually an old toyota tsb for this , ill have to dig it up at work tomorrow and see if i can get it transfered over to here .... :wink: Mine actually does this from time to time after some bumpy road driving ...

88gt4DE

Anoo21":30509gdg said:
This would amazing I hate tbe rattle in the back.

Drives me crazy too , I read the tsb and I just had all that crap apart to do a power trunk pop and got too behind on time to look at it ... next time in i may look at it. I havent heard it for a bit though. Last time was after the trip to Rhode Island when the roads beat the hell out of her ...

88gt4DE

TECHNICAL ASSURANCE DEPARTMENT
RATTLE AT BACK DOOR LOCK
To eliminate the potential of a rattle at the back door lock on Supra and Celica Liftbacks, the clearance
between the back door lock and the door lock striker has been reduced as shown in the illustration
below:
TOYOTA
SERVICE BULLETIN
TOYOTA MOTOR SALES, U.S.A., INC.
VOLUME
REFERENCE
NUMBER
DATE
MODEL
Page 1 of 1
BODY
09–16–88
MA7#, ST, (L/B)
BACK DOOR LOCK FOR SUPRA AND CELICA LIFTBACK
PRODUCTION EFFECTIVE FROM:
Frame Number: ST 7256016 MA 0097590
PART NUMBER INFORMATION:
The part number is unchanged. New parts may be used for previous as well as new
vehicles.

Looks like they changed the hatch latch somewhere along the line .... 8)