Hub Project to make us wheel options (5/100 to 114.3)

CMS-GT4

Tubasteve did you order the rears as well?

I am looking at is350 rotors. They are 333mm an cheap. I am just curious if I will run into offset issues with the rotor.

tubasteve

Rears....I'm justgetting adapters cause I'll be running st 205... Just better cause I also want 30mm spacers. The fronts, if you want stock caliper, I'm looking at 2002 axis tl rotors...little to big around, but better than too small

CMS-GT4

I decided that if I use the 185 spindle and rav4 hub I will likely use SVX rotors. I need to get the center bord machined down to 58 from 62 but they will be a cheap serviceable part. 28mm x 301mm discs. 2mm more shallow than 205 rotors. I am still holding out to see if I sell my 205 calipers for my final plan.

tubasteve

I'm ding my hub swap tonight, using 205 brakes on my red, brembo on my black. I've have my hubs for months.....just not time.
-jr

dragstang86

So what was the final verdict? Rav4 hubs work on the front? Rav4 hubs with access holes drilled for the rear? Does it change the brake offset or anything? Will the same rotors, but re-drilled for 114.3 still work front and back?

tubasteve

dragstang86":cwydil1a said:
So what was the final verdict? Rav4 hubs work on the front? Rav4 hubs with access holes drilled for the rear? Does it change the brake offset or anything? Will the same rotors, but re-drilled for 114.3 still work front and back?

There is a height difference from the front to rear hubs.

dragstang86

tubasteve":j4m5456c said:
The rav4 front from a 97, rears on the rav4 are hub and bearing assembly. and it won't work for the rears.

So using the 97 Rav4 front hubs on the front changes nothing at all but the bolt circle? Still same wheel bearing and brake offset?

Do the alltrac rear hubs have enough meat on them to be able to just redrill them for the 114.3 bolt circle? For that matter do the fronts have enough to do the same?

CMS-GT4

The front do not. They would be right at the edge of the circle if redrilled. The rears are larger. The center bore will also change on the fronts. The rav4 wheels bearing and axle spline is the same, so based on the previous page it should be a direct swap. It might be cheaper for you to just get a rav4 spindle though and use its brakes. 302mm but thinner discs.

dragstang86

CMS-GT4":2bbun7jg said:
The front do not. They would be right at the edge of the circle if redrilled. The rears are larger. The center bore will also change on the fronts. The rav4 wheels bearing and axle spline is the same, so based on the previous page it should be a direct swap. It might be cheaper for you to just get a rav4 spindle though and use its brakes. 302mm but thinner discs.

I already have a 6 piston Wilwood brake kit on the front that I want to keep. Do you know what the size difference is on the center bore of the Rav4 hub? Is it larger?

dragstang86

Ok, that shouldn't be a big deal then since they are just aluminum hats. Hopefully the outer diameter of the hub itself isn't too large for the hat but iirc the hat isn't very deep and with its shape I don't think it will be an issue.

So hopefully rav4 hubs on the front and redrill the rear and I'll be set. Is 97 the only year that Rav4's had the needed hubs? I'll just need to make up a rear Wilwood kit for it.

lumbercis

CMS-GT4":3pmskg5n said:
It might be cheaper for you to just get a rav4 spindle though and use its brakes. 302mm but thinner discs.

Does this just apply to the rears or to the fronts as well? I.e. can you use the whole rav4 spindle and brakes and just bolt them up to the front and rear?

CMS-GT4

Above, he says above the rav4 uses a different rear setup as far as bearings go. It also uses a drum rear, so I would not want its rear brakes.

The front spindle can bolt up, but you need a rav4 ball joint since the bolt length is longer. I am stil deciding what to do. I need to take some measurements of the tie rod hole. The rav4 has a shorter turn to lock, but I want to make sure it isn't due to the rack or the tie rod arm.

dragstang86

lumbercis":3r1lpgs5 said:
Ahh, I see. Thread's just getting a bit confusing at this point.

I agree. There is many ideas mixed with fact it is hard to keep track of what is what. I nice organized summarized post would be nice.

tubasteve

dragstang86":20kidvr3 said:
lumbercis":20kidvr3 said:
Ahh, I see. Thread's just getting a bit confusing at this point.

I agree. There is many ideas mixed with fact it is hard to keep track of what is what. I nice organized summarized post would be nice.

I'm working on this as we speak, I'm doing it using 185 spindle, with rav4 hubs hopefully. I'll see soon enough. If I can come up with multipul setups I will be posting what I find in a new post (if aloud)

I've got several brembo calipers from different imports, exp. Acura, porsche, st205, evo. And other calipers I picked up along the way.

Everything will hopefully be well documented....if I get too grease.....i stop writing and picture taking is all. hopefuly wife can help soon.

-jr

-jr

CMS-GT4

Look forward to it. No problem with you making a new thread. Just put it in the faq, and it should be good.