1988 Alltrac - Fiona - Running and doing just fine

Redrkt01

Utah, depending if you decide to redo the interior or not.....I know of some people that may need some of the good leather parts you have. You just need to decide whether it is cheaper to recover those seats or not. There is a guy I know that needs blue leather rear seats so lemme know if you decide to switch it all out. I'm sure you'll be able to recover some $$ for those.

UtahSleeper

Small update.

The front under dash wiring has been mostly cleaned up. Going to a junkyard this week to gather nuts and bolts for the interior and exterior.

Also found out today the front passenger bearing is toast, so have to fix that after I get her running.

Current plan is to replace the missing nuts and bolts under the hood, reconnect the PS and then install my cleaned up engine harness. May have to wait till I get a timing cover for the upper half of the motor since the PS return line seems to rest against the timing gear.

UtahSleeper

I found one the was mostley unmolested. Looks like it had the warm start mod on it and one missing plug. I replaced the plug and removed the old electric tape and retaped it. Should work for now. I eventually plan to go MS or AEM, so I am going to play around with the old harness when that time comes.

Redrkt01

By the looks of that engine bay you've got a long way to go before you should spend the cash on a MegaSquirt or AEM unit. Just my .02

UtahSleeper

Yea. I am hoping to be approaching that option in 2 years. Right now the goal is to get her running with all the missing bolts/nuts replaced. Just hoping the motor and trans are in good shape. If they are I will be driving her enough to find out what else needs fixed lol.

Figured it was "running" before, so when I put it all back together it should still run as described by 2 previous owners..............but I have never heard it run so I am expecting things not to be as described.

Dracov

I'm going to feel so bad if you get this running before I finish resurrecting mine. :) You're making good progress!

UtahSleeper

Dracov":me4g4r00 said:
I'm going to feel so bad if you get this running before I finish resurrecting mine. :) You're making good progress!

Thanks. I would like to atleast try and start it by the end of the month. Thats my goal anyway lol.

UtahSleeper

Small update:

Decided I liked the indiglo lights, but couldn't stand the way the controls were mounted. So I used one previously done hole for brightness knob and opened another hacked hole for the blue/green switch. A little sloppy since I didn't think through, but I need a new under dash piece anyway.
014.JPG

Got the slightly cleaned up harness installed......mostly.
016.JPG

Found these when searching through the pile of stuff that was crammed in this car. Any ideas?
017.JPG

018.JPG

Got the injectors out of a ziplock and put new o-rings and such on. Tried to install but then realized the FP reg and cold start injectors did not have gaskets installed.........not really surprised with how many odds and ends have been missing lol.
020.JPG

So, next plan of attack is buy a shit load of orings and little washer gasket type things. Really hoping to try and start her by the end of the month.

UtahSleeper

Small update.

Have most hoses connected and some parts cleaned up. Also removed the lower cross member to gain access to the TVIS, grounds and such.

What needs to be done before trying to start:
Finish vacuum hoses
Finish connecting grounds
Get/Install EGR block offs. Probably from KO unless I can find cheaper
Install intercooler
Install radiator (need to decide if I want to use the stock fan, or get a slim)
Get a small battery

UtahSleeper

So, just had a decent set back in my eye's. Was reassembling fiona and got underneath the car to hook up the final plugs and vacuum lines when I noticed something. The PO had did such a half ass job putting the intake back on that half of the intake gasket was fucking hanging out!! So now to try and fix this I will have to remove just about everything I have reassembled! Total buzz kill. I thought I was a week away from trying to start her and now I have to strip it all back down just to address that crap.

So, now this has me wondering if I should say fuck it, remove the center feed intake manifold and install my side feed GE. If I do that the car will take longer to get back on the road since I will need to get a FMIC and pipping. What would you guys suggest? Fix or do the upgrade?

Also, can you remove the north/south crossmember with no ill effects coming from the motor just resting on the east/west mounts?

Thanks.

Dracov

Yeah, since the gasket is screwed just put your side-feed on there now. No harm in doing the job once, rather than having to do it again later just for that upgrade.

Oh and I've had the engine just sitting on the east/west mounts before. It's fine, doesn't hurt anything and lets you tilt the engine back and forth if needed

Arky

Hi, on page two, pics 10 & 15 are of the "inter-cooler computer", NOT a crossover. The plastic cover/box gets very brittle as it sit under the dash. Just thought I should put it out there, looking forward to the rest of your build. :D

UtahSleeper

Thanks. I noticed a little more of what it was when I was removing shit on a jy celica and it had the same boards, just properly mounted lol.

UtahSleeper

Dracov":3r0yltxh said:
Oh and I've had the engine just sitting on the east/west mounts before. It's fine, doesn't hurt anything and lets you tilt the engine back and forth if needed

Thanks for that input. That will make alot of shit easier lol.

UtahSleeper

I will be putting my north south mounts back on shorty. I want to try and find a better east west mounts, but dont really want to buy new ones. Is there a softer material to fill mounts with that can add strength but not make the body rattle?

3sgtealltrac

im glad youve dedicated youselve to this i wish i had the funds to keep it. definately need to see it running when its all done. ya the last owner tore that wiring up :( and the mechanic he had didnt do a very good job. i had to buy new head bolts for it 2 were broken and 1 was stripped where youd put the socket or whatever.