What have you done with the spare tire slot?

celigts

I'm looking to cover the spare tire hole in the hatch but been wondering how to approach it and what to cover it with.

Had an idea.. At work I make shrouds and I was going to use one of the steel rings, drill holes every couple inches, tap it level to the hatch area and either use thin mdf or try and find a circle of aluminum to keep it lighter.

What have you done?

underscore

I was planning on just cutting some wood and bolting it down using the tire tiedown in the middle, then keeping spare parts/tools in there. A spare tire is useless on a AWD car imo.

Spectra1

I put some foil on the walls and floor then just put expandable spray foam in the hole. I cut a thin piece of MDF to the shape of the opening and laid it on top of the wet foam so that when it dried it was level. It formed a perfect insert that is light and can be removed if needed. It is also very strong so it can support any weight you might put on it. It also provides a small amount of soundproofing as an added bonus.

CMS-GT4

You can get FRP board from the homedepot for $25 that comes in 4'x8'. I considered cutting that up to be a panel to cover teh rear. They sell black colored ones online, which would look better unless you paint the white panels.

You can also get the cutting board material in large sheets, which will be more durable. I was going to cut the left side and affix it to the bod then put a hinge on the other side so I can store stuff underneath in the wheel well.

celigts

I like the spray foam idea. I think this weekend I'll have to grab a can. I have some thin 1/8th sheet board of some sort I'll never use I can lay the back with.

I'll just make a cardboard layout to get the perfect size.

celigts

Definitely crossed my mind to add a nice jl 10w6 in there! But decided to gut my audio till the cars running mint again

ZeroDrift

This still isn't finished, but this is from a while back:

DSC_0361.jpg