91 AWD camry 3sge swap question!

nezzydawg

hey everyone, im hoping someone here can help me out. my my 3s-fe just kicked the bucket a few months ago and i found a reasonably priced 3s-ge(1st gen) for sale so i picked it up. now my question is will i run into any problems with this swap. i know the engine should just bolt in there , my concerns are more with the transmission. the car is a an auto and the engine i bought is mated with a 5 speed. im hoping someone can give me some info on this swap. thanks much

88gt4DE

Dewd , perfect time to upgrade to the 3sgte. If yer going through all that trouble already. theres a guy on here with a upgraded camry already. I dont rememebr if its AWD but it was under this post list ...

nezzydawg

The 3sge is a easier swap and considering a only $200 for the engine with only 150,000 km. The 3sgte alone is around $1500 plus the fact that u have to figure out where to place the inercooler and exahaust work . I am doing a 3sgte in the far off future. When I dont rely on the camry as dd and funds allow

underscore

Ehy good to see you made it on here! This is Jordan from Kelowna.

Is it a 5 speed AWD tranny, or a FWD tranny? I've been told that the 2WD 3SGTE transmissions are the same as the AWD, excluding the diff. So you might be able to swap your AWD diff onto a 2WD tranny and do it that way, then you just need to do the rest of the 5 speed conversion.

nezzydawg

underscore":3lhngmpp said:
Ehy good to see you made it on here! This is Jordan from Kelowna.

Is it a 5 speed AWD tranny, or a FWD tranny? I've been told that the 2WD 3SGTE transmissions are the same as the AWD, excluding the diff. So you might be able to swap your AWD diff onto a 2WD tranny and do it that way, then you just need to do the rest of the 5 speed conversion.
I wont be doing a 5 speed yet. I want to use my 3sfe's auto tranny.ive been reading lots online. It seems like nobody actaully knows lol thw one on the engine is just a fwd 5 speed, but I dont plan on using it....

underscore

Well then in that case I'd pretty sure you can just bolt all the auto stuff up to the manual tranny and be good to go.

phattyduck

You are going to have a good deal of trouble getting a manual trans ECU (from the 3s-ge) to work with the auto trans. There is a separate trans ECU that controls the shift logic, but there is also communication between the two. You would be treading in untested waters. I think there was a first gen 3s-ge auto, but then you have the challenge of finding that ECU...

You will also want to verify that you have the same bolt pattern on the cranks of the two motors to see if they will physically bolt up (there were 6-bolt and 8-bolt cranks, depending on year, etc.).

The physical side of the swap shouldn't be too difficult. You may have issues with mount points for the transfer case stiffeners, etc. and might need to drill/tap some holes.

-Charlie