How to disable check engine code 54 on ST205 ECU

belanger33

Hi,

I just did a gen 2 to gen 3 conversion on my ST185 RC 1991 GT4 and i am running across one and only check engine code....It is the code 54 which is for the intercooler pump error...I would liek to know what do people do to disable this check engine code since it limits your boost level quite considerably...

Thanks for the help!

klue

it needs a resistance not just gnd.
Used an mr2 ecu so i could get away from this issue but I believe its around a 1k resistance it needs to see

phattyduck

Assuming you are using all the correct ST205 parts/wiring/relays but air-to-air intercooler: If the code is for the level sensor, you need to short the two pins on the (now unused?) level sensor connector. If its for the pump, 'replace' the pump with a resistor (1Kohm or similar should work).

We need more info on the setup to know for sure what you need to do.

-Charlie

belanger33

I have a RC so
I therefore have a water to air intercooler! The only code i get is 54 which is either level sensor on the intercooler which is plugged presently or its the pump
Connector.... I highly doubt my intercooler level is bad since it didnt change in a day and i hadnt the code54 before....

underscore

check the intercooler level sensor by bridging the terminals with a paperclip, when I got my car the sensor itself was bad.

Texasnick

Keep in mind that level sensor is VERY picky.

You've got to blip the throttle with the cap open and fill it as full as it will go with the pump running and then sort of cram the cap back on.

If it's warm now and it gets significantly colder in winter you'll probably have to top it up then too. I think it was about 1/4" of fluid that made the difference between a 54 and no code for me.

There is also a procedure in the BGB on how to check if the sensor is working correctly.

Nick