any info on making 90 all-trac rwd

darkcloud350

to start off I don't want to hear bad talk or anything of the sort on this topic. I am for real and serious on this.
I have lost my shift forks in my stock trans so now I want to open my mind for drifting my 300zx has bored me and I love my all-trac more.
this topic is informative only we all know blah blah keep it awd but honestly I see this more to be fun and helpful to all others that have had this thought in mind.

Any info will help. Such as
what transmission can mate the 3sgte that can handle rwd
What can you do to the stock trans that can either make it fwd or rwd
If someone has already converted what have they done

I myself plan on only having rwd for one summer event then going back to awd but for now this is big.

If other topic threads have already started this im sorry I tried looking and all have said only negative stuff

RafaCalde

well, i think to start, one has to rotate the engine. i've never heard a transverse mounted transmission being rwd only. definitely not gonna be able to do it with the E series transmission

CMS-GT4

Toy sport ha info on gearboxes that bolt up. You will need to turn the engine as well as install it at the correct angle. You also need a solution for the front wheel bearings. You may also need a new steering rack depending how everything fits. If your serious start a build thread and get to cracking. Justin Simpson has a v8 Rwd gtfour. His build is online in a Lexus forums and he has lots of pics on photobucket.

UtahSleeper

Small thing. Distributor will probably have to be removed to get the engine close to the firewall.

In corollas people put the W58's, I believe, or R154. It was a late supra transmission. Also the Beams motor in the RWD cars used a 6 speed. I imagine that could be adapted too.

Curious on how much you would have to change to make something like this work. And how hard would it be to return it to stock afterwards.

phattyduck

RWD with stock configuration: Weld some diffs, remove axles but leave stubs - done.

RWD with longitudinal configuration - tons of work... relocate steering rack, create trans tunnel, etc. At least there is a rear diff there, but it probably wouldn't like handling full power for long and would also require an upgrade.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

So how is welding diffs making this thing rwd? I never understood how the whole process of that worked. I know some of the suby guys do that. The thing that sucks about that is your dragging around the weight of that transfercase using that process.

underscore

^ you're jamming the center diff so all the power goes out the rear.

darkcloud350":2354z3zw said:
I myself plan on only having rwd for one summer event then going back to awd but for now this is big.

if it's for only one summer I'd say you're gonna want to only weld the diffs, remove the front axles leaving the stubs up front and replace all those bits when you go back to AWD, if you flip the motor you're looking at a lot of cutting and welding and you likely won't be able to bring the car back to AWD. I know of two local Subarus that got converted to RWD using roughly the above method, one was such a pain that it went through 3 owners before someone switched it back to AWD, the other is actually a fairly capable drift car but it too has it's issues and took the owner a few years to get it decently stable.

Another option is of course to buy a wrecked MR2 and a GT-S with a blown motor, and put the MR2 rear end into the GT-S, thus making an MR Celica. Another local did that with an 80's Accord and it was apparently a very controllable drift car.

l0ch0w

Can I be the first one to just come out and say that this is a dumb idea...

OP has 14 posts on this forum, and I would venture a bet that he is being a troll...

For the money you will spend on converting your car, you might as well go buy a 240sx, or a trueno...

UtahSleeper

l0ch0w":2bcioj5b said:
Can I be the first one to just come out and say that this is a dumb idea...

OP has 14 posts on this forum, and I would venture a bet that he is being a troll...

For the money you will spend on converting your car, you might as well go buy a 240sx, or a trueno...

He might be who knows. I took from his starting post here that he has searched and read various posts here, which is why he requested no flaming and such. Just a solid conversation. And the fact there have been 5th gens coverted to rwd, I felt it was a worth while discussion. Plus, when you start saying everything that has to be done, some will step away from the idea.

Dracov

If he really is serious about this, then let's sit back and see if he'll dump the $10,000 into chassis and drivetrain work that will will inevitably require. As mentioned there is a V8 RWD Celica...and from what I know of it, no expense was spared in the build. This is territory few even consider, much less trailblaze through so this will be something worth posting in detail if it happens.

If it doesn't happen, c'est la vie. It will then go into the archives alongside the dozens of "how do i make my Celica a Alltrack?!" posts we get each year.

underscore

You can do it pretty cheaply I would think, if you leave everything mounted as is but take apart the front axles and weld the diffs. You'll likely be losing a lot of power through the drivetrain vs a typical RWD setup, but it can be done without re-mounting the engine and finding a different tranny etc.

edit: see http://driftunion.com/blog/?page_id=54

ive been looking into this too. a new front subframe would need to fabricated to hold engine in transverse mounted. the front spindles will most likely be used from sw20 mr2 to accomidate the steering rack being relocated from the firewall to front subframe. front sway bar would need to be redone to clear the transmission in the trans tunnel. trans tunnel needs to be enlarged to fit the trans and a transmission mount bracket needs to be fabbed up. the firewall will need to banged back a little to clear the distributor and wires. if your going to use your 3sgte, you need to find oil pickup tube and oil pan from an australia celica. rwd celica in australia is 2se powered, which will bolt to your existing 3sgte to have it mount standing up and not at the slant that all S series engine has. the 2se bell housing can be used on W series transmissions, so by getting the bell housing you can bolt it to a W58 trans found in mk3/mk4/na supras or is300/sc300. also, the 3sgte will need to undergo some customizing too. the the inlet of the turbo is now facing the firewall so the turbo needs to be turned around and a new downpipe fabbed up. the exhaust manifold will probably need work too, to have it mount the turbo further up towards the front of the car so it will clear the starter as the starter is on the exhaust side of the engine. the water neck from the 2se would need to be swapped over too, because the stock one would jam into the firewall. all accessory brackets (powersteering/ac comp/altenator/tensioner) needs to be swapped from 2se. just like any another swap, new custom engine mounts/ brackets needs to be fabricated as well as a custom driveshaft to adapt w58 trans to alltrac shaft. This is from my research as i have been looking into this conversion for a while now except im fwd so i get to convert the rear of the car too if i decide too...

Mafix

darkcloud350":3ct83uyp said:
Any info will help. Such as
1 what transmission can mate the 3sgte that can handle rwd
2 What can you do to the stock trans that can either make it fwd or rwd
3 If someone has already converted what have they done

If other topic threads have already started this im sorry I tried looking and all have said only negative stuff

1 w59 with 1s bell housing
1 is200 trans (6 speed)
1 there is always the custom approach using a tremec
2 smelt it down to make the adapter for a real trans
3 remove the body from a rwd lexus and install a celica body (in so many words, of course it wasn't that straight foward)
3 install a high mounted internal tube frame, install american v8, go drag race
3 photochop is way cheaper :D

Hotrodhendrix

Step by step guide:
1. remove the AWD compenents that make the alltrac an alltrac
2. Weld in tube frame
3. Install what ever motor and transmission you want
4. Go do doughnuts
5. Tell everyone what you have done
6. Regret what you have done. :bangshead:

deecee

7. Buy a rwd car for half the cost and double the horsepower after regretting what you have done and spending a load of money to do it.

OldazzCamrys

So very interesting, alltrac what a trip right, and the viscous coupler that thing is bonkers, I watched the tech vids someone has posted on the VC, I had no clue how the 4matic got the job done now I see. Well the reason I'm posting here, 1989 toyota camry 1.8l gas four speed auto 4matic LE, when the center locking diff button is off car only has rwd, push the button, green light comes on for the passenger, now when I give it the G'lever all four tires spin. Is mine broken or do I have some kind of super rare rwd version, JK on the last thing I said there. Anyway pre thanks for any insight into the mystery that is my new to me whip, (I love what ya do for me)(toyota)