Engine Vibration/Noise

mx6er2587

possibly the timing belt tensioner although they normally sound less consistant and more like rod knock. Are the timing covers secure? When you have a noise only at certain rpms its typically something vibrating at certain frequencies.

I'd get a mechanics stethescope or a good long screwdriver and start listening to components and see if you can pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

Did you figure it out yet? I had the same problem with a camry...it was the timing belt cover.... Took it off and went away..installed it and sounded just like that....So I left it off...LOL

awolo

Still haven't figured it out.

It only makes that noise at 1300-1500 RPM.

I had pulled the timing cover back and the timing belt is very tight. I saw no weird movement from any of the components. Although, I didn't removed the timing cover completely.

83841 - Was your timing cover noticeable loose?

esracing

Toyota master tech here.something is going on in the timing belt area .remove engaged belts and run eng .still there.take all covers off and run eng use a long screw driver and touch the bearings and engine as a stethoscope

awolo

I will try that.

Thank you.

I don't think its something serious though. I mean the entire timing area look secure. There aren't any obvious movements. Part of my thinks that in the lower part of the timing side, to cover may be vibrating badly.

We where working on the car late at night in a un-heated garage.

awolo

Still having this problem guys.

The car has been running great, but this dang rattle/vibration/ticking (that sounds really bad) has not been fixed.

I still have no clue as to what it could be.

Someone told be to adjust my valves????

-A

scottytohotty

There is a good chance one of your engine mounts
Have went south! In my old gt I had a very loud vibrating/rattling
Sound and it turned out to be the mounts.
Good luck!

awolo

This sounds very internal.

I've gone over everything outside the motor with a fine tooth comb.

When the RPMs sit in that vibration range, the CEL comes on. But turns off after 3 or 4 seconds. But it will come on every time.

I think my next move would be to remove the Valve Cover and have a look see.

awolo

The light never stays on, so i'm assuming, it does not????

I could be wrong though.

I have no idea how to check and being a 91, i cant hook it up to my local reader.

awolo

Looks like ill be checking for codes ASAP!

Thank you so much for this info.

Ill be sure to report back.

belanger33

i have the exact same noise coming from the timing belt even though it has been changed....i have no exhaust leaks because everything has been taken care of about that. i can tell you that i have no codes because of it either....

awolo

Very similar indeed.

Have you removed your valve cover yet? and had a look?

I think that's my next step. I have no other idea what/where the noise could be coming from.

The noise is so annoying and it really makes my car sound like a POS.

belanger33

im at that point too(removing the valve cover) to see if it's the cover that's vibrating at that speed!...hopefully it's that since my timing belt was redone 8 months ago and the idler bearing was changed too...

awolo

I have some new information on this issue.

For the past few weeks I have noticed that when the engine is just started, like in the morning, on a cooler day, my idle will be right in the 1500/1600 range...BUT, the noise/vibration is not present until after a few minutes. It slowly comes on, almost like something is rattling lose. Then she is back to her normal loud self.

belanger33 - Have you noticed this as well?