Another Cracked F%$@&%G BLOCK!

gt4play

Okay, so I'm man enough to admit it was my own dumbass fault with my Alltrac - cracked block due to freezing. I'm over that humiliation (almost). Now, NOW I'm faced with a similar realization on the Gen3 block in my MR2. I was having overheating issues due to air entering the coolant system. After pulling the head this weekend, concluded there's a nice 3" vertical rip through the number 2 cylinder wall. What the hell!? The car is well tuned, moderately boosted....ugh.

cylinder_crack.jpg

At any rate, my 93 is my baby - always has been. You can be sure I'll be fixing her up good as new (better even). I had considered selling off the 88, but I don't think I could ever come across a car like that again. So, the Alltracs are staying, the MR2 has to go. I'll be restoring it back to stock and selling it as well as all the Gen3 stuff (and the KO Streetbrawler turbo, AEM EMS, FJO controller, wheels, etc, etc). It's one thing to maintain vehicles that are essentially stock (i.e. the Alltracs) it's another to maintain something that's tweaked beyond what it was originally intended. Shit breaks and I don't have the time for it anymore. I love my MR2, but I'll always be an Alltrac guy at heart.

Now, on to bigger and better things. Bye MR2, hellllooooooo ISF.... 8)

Sifu

Damn that sucks. At least you are going to keep her though.

So... What's the model number on that AEM?

l0ch0w

The gen 3 blocks are notorious for that unfortunately...

If you PM me, i might have a solution to your problem...

-Andrew

gt4play

l0ch0w":kt8hm219 said:

It's funny you say that, but whenever I asked people to substantiate that claim, nobody could do it. It was always "well, I heard that...". Even as I sit here with a cracked Gen3 block, I still have a hard time swallowing the idea that 3rd gens are weaker than 2nd gens. Ah well, not much to do about it now.

Oh, and if your proposed solution is costly, I'm out. If it involves the purchase of another Gen3 block, I already have 2 spares.

gt4play

alternate.eago":20jxdqee said:
This has to be karma for the luck with finding the ST165. :p

Haha, right!? Ah well - just pick up the pieces and move on. I just need to find the time to do all this crap. I need to start categorizing all the parts I have stock-piled, separating the Gen2 from the Gen3. If anything, this will start to open up some garage space. Gotta see the bright side I guess....

l0ch0w

gt4play":1zq3pgv1 said:
l0ch0w":1zq3pgv1 said:

It's funny you say that, but whenever I asked people to substantiate that claim, nobody could do it. It was always "well, I heard that...". Even as I sit here with a cracked Gen3 block, I still have a hard time swallowing the idea that 3rd gens are weaker than 2nd gens. Ah well, not much to do about it now.

Oh, and if your proposed solution is costly, I'm out. If it involves the purchase of another Gen3 block, I already have 2 spares.

Some are good and some are crap. The TTE guys hated them because literally every block needed to be ultrasounded to ensure that they didnt have a weakness in the casting. Most just switched the gen 3 blocks to the gen 2 block. Toyota revised this casting problem in 1998 and since then all 3s and 5s based engine blocks are like retardedly strong.

Mafix

while i feel for ya man on this stuff...
there are so many blocks you can use it's not even funny. how much power are you pushing? i've got 4 spare gen1 blocks. they are the thickest pre 98 block. you are welcome to have one if you like.

gt4play

Well, I've sat on this too long trying to figure out what I want to do in the long-term. Finally, I made some decisions (and sticking to my guns).

The MR2 is gonna get sold after I restore it to original stock. Anybody who knows me knows that car will be a clean and pristine example of the few 94's available out there. I'll hate to see it go, but something else a bit more modern with a bit (well, a lot) more bite will take its place. :evil:

On a lighter note (sort of), I still have the block in my 93 Alltrac to contend with. After much back and forth, rather than just replacing it with stock, I'm going full Gen3 with all the upgrades currently on the MR2 (AEM, KO Streetbrawler kit, FJO wideband, etc, etc). Having that full ST205 setup sitting in the garage now has made that decision much easier. I assume/hope the tune in the MR2 currently should (should) serve as a good base tune to get me rolling in the Alltrac.

Now all I need to do is find the time..... :twisted:

gt4play

underscore":2hgsyfd8 said:
How on earth did you end up with the rare 3SGTE powered trifecta?

I've had the 93 Alltrac for years (the car I'll never sell). The MR2, well, I've had it for a few years too. The 88, not so long. Each has its own unique story - which makes it difficult to make this decision. But something's gotta give, unfortunately.

Mafix

gt4play":1w7rvp1s said:
On a lighter note (sort of), I still have the block in my 93 Alltrac to contend with. After much back and forth, rather than just replacing it with stock, I'm going full Gen3 with all the upgrades currently on the MR2 (AEM, KO Streetbrawler kit, FJO wideband, etc, etc). Having that full ST205 setup sitting in the garage now has made that decision much easier. I assume/hope the tune in the MR2 currently should (should) serve as a good base tune to get me rolling in the Alltrac.

Now all I need to do is find the time..... :twisted:

is this so you can keep up with us?