Those who have built 2.3L engines

dragstang86

Has anybody built a 2.3 with off the shelf pistons and just machined the top of the piston the .125 or so that the stroke has gained from the offset grinding of the crank? I would think the piston would have plenty of material to take it off without hurting anything.

gearhead313

I've machined domes off of pistons to adjust compression height, but not to physically lower the height of the piston. I would never try that, less material in a volatile environment is no good! If you have an 'out of the hole' situation, then either thick head gasket it or stack gaskets.

gearhead313

10-4... I guess if there is anyone else with first hand experience on this particular cubic inch build, they can share more accurate accounts. I, though, wouldnt try it! Does it require a piston thats not readily available? I unfortunately dont know that much on getting 2.3l out of the 3s...

dragstang86

It would require a custom piston which would probably end up being twice as much as the off the shelf pistons. The off the shelf stuff is for use with standard 2.2 stroke. If I offset ground the crank I could get an additional 4mm of stroke so the off the shelf piston would be out of the hole that 4mm. So its either machine the piston top or have a custom made piston with the pin location 4mm higher in the piston. I don't think it's work that much to me if I have to spend double on a set of pistons on top of the additional machine work to offset grind it. If I can just machine a shelf set myself then I would consider it.

Hic

dragstang86":27icdoo1 said:
It would require a custom piston which would probably end up being twice as much as the off the shelf pistons. The off the shelf stuff is for use with standard 2.2 stroke. If I offset ground the crank I could get an additional 4mm of stroke so the off the shelf piston would be out of the hole that 4mm. So its either machine the piston top or have a custom made piston with the pin location 4mm higher in the piston. I don't think it's work that much to me if I have to spend double on a set of pistons on top of the additional machine work to offset grind it. If I can just machine a shelf set myself then I would consider it.

Check your calculation. You are very wrong.

My engine is 2.284cc (2.3). 87.5 * 95mm. And I know EXACTLY what to do ;)

dragstang86

Hic":34akqihg said:
dragstang86":34akqihg said:

Check your calculation. You are very wrong.

My engine is 2.284cc (2.3). 87.5 * 95mm. And I know EXACTLY what to do ;)

Do you care to share? And I am just doing this off the top of my head, but if you put piston that has a pin location for a 91mm stroke crank in it, that would have a 0 deck height with a 95 mm crank, than that's 4mm out of the hole.

l0ch0w

Dont know why you would want to run 2.3L...

You would have decent midrange, but the inherent balancing problems of a stroker motor wouldnt be very fun and you would start running into issue at higher RPM. Oversquare engines like RPMs alot more than strokers do...

Pat is making more power and hitting higher revs with his 2.1L Destroked oversquare 5s block than he did on his 2.2L stroker...

Just sayin...

gearhead313

A few years back i built a prelude motor with custom sleeves and pistons... i want to say the pistons were out of a vega??? I would just find a legit machine shop and pick their brain. My guy was UNbelievable with stuff like that.

I wouldnt worry about revving it with that rod/stroke.. sure a 2.1l destroke is better, but how high you NEED to rev to put a turbo in operating range is a different story. 500hp is no biggie and more cubes gets her going sooner without changing much redline power.

Hic

l0ch0w":tdd52ubn said:
Dont know why you would want to run 2.3L...

You would have decent midrange, but the inherent balancing problems of a stroker motor wouldnt be very fun and you would start running into issue at higher RPM. Oversquare engines like RPMs alot more than strokers do...

Pat is making more power and hitting higher revs with his 2.1L Destroked oversquare 5s block than he did on his 2.2L stroker...

Just sayin...

Not decent, but really strong. It revs 8500 no sweat, tested in mr2. For normal engine....more than good. Easy and nice to drive. For pat's application, yes, long rod and short piston is fine.

dragstang86

I wouldn't be scared to rev a 95 mm stroke engine. Hell I rev my 4.600 bore (~117mm) 4.500 stroke (~114mm) to 8500+rpm week in and week out and they are making 1200+ hp N/A with a 500-600 hit of nitrous on top of that.

95mm is about 3.75 inches which is the stroke of a standard 400 small block Chevy which is the crank that is used in all the 383's out there are ton's of people who wing those things way up there with 8 rods and pistons swinging from it.

So I don't see how, if these cranks are as strong as people claim they are, 8500 would hurt it at 95mm.

Hic

It is not the stroke, it is a rod/stroke ratio.

Rod is too short.

Ultimate engine would be 2.1L, with long rod, 86mm stroke and short piston.

Like 143 rod and 30 piston.

roo

Have any of you guys tried this?

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota ... oker.shtml

tc-stroker.jpg

2.16L with a 91mm stroke and 87mm bore