88' Celica Alltrac refresh

Curry

88gt4DE":1ewywozb said:
I full run those two fans cause of the heat .... you choice on your car but if you unplug the sensor at the bottom of the radiator it will full run both fans ... Alot of people heat wrap ... I'm holding out till I can make a hood with a vent of my choice ...

Thats the funny thing cause both fan run full time. I even used compressed air and blasted all of the coolers.

Curry

Dont :shoots: me...

No.

LOL. My mind kinda skipped over it since the car wasn't overheating on the regular. Only when the AC was on it would start. But even after taking the AC the temps would go up, down a little, back up. I still have that one from ebay bookmarked.

88gt4DE

That would be next then ... those OEM radiators suck and mine was completely clogged when I got my car ...

Curry

88gt4DE":3bv8yvz4 said:
Good plan ... I would recommend a thermostat ( OEM ) if you havent done that either ...

Yea since i'm tearing apart all that stuff im gonna do the thermostat, samco hoses from an ST205 and silicone hose for the turbo to radiator. I'm gonna get two fans to fit on the radiator as well so a total of 3 including the one on the condenser. If that doesn't solve it im driving it off a cliff :shoots:

88gt4DE

No cliffs !!! Have to remember yer never done .... just walk away for a few days and plan .... LOL :wink:

Curry

LOL today was ALMOST that day. If I did not get that amp hooked up and hear music coming out of those 24 year old speakers, right over cliff.

But today was NOT that day.

Installed my amp, sub and some RCA's to the front and wow those speakers sounds pretty good for original factory speakers. Looks like the previous owner didn't abuse them. No buzzing or crackling. I guess I saved a few bucks don't have to buy any aftermarkets for now....

I wont be putting a head unit in this car. Im gonna fab up a plastic panel and use it to mount misc crap. I'll probably rig those RCA's to one of those jacks from radioshack and mount it in the panel so it looks nice and clean. Then I just use an AUX cable and im good to go.

I installed the two o-rings into the oil thingy and no leak from there anymore. There still is a leak I need to track down and I THINK my oil pan might be leaking. Friday im gonna spray everything down and get it clean so I can find this other leak.

My new radiator and catch can should be here by monday.

Installed my new alternator belt. Broke the tensioner bolt. Had to drill it out and use a long bolt from home depot and two nuts (heh) and so far so good!

Sorry no pics this time around!

Curry

I figured it would be. I went as far as getting the 4 bolts off from where the down pipe meets the turbo and put them right back on :D

ZeroDrift

Curry":a0w42lp0 said:
LOL today was ALMOST that day. If I did not get that amp hooked up and hear music coming out of those 24 year old speakers, right over cliff.

Installed my amp, sub and some RCA's to the front and wow those speakers sounds pretty good for original factory speakers. Looks like the previous owner didn't abuse them. No buzzing or crackling. I guess I saved a few bucks don't have to buy any aftermarkets for now....

I wont be putting a head unit in this car. Im gonna fab up a plastic panel and use it to mount misc crap. I'll probably rig those RCA's to one of those jacks from radioshack and mount it in the panel so it looks nice and clean. Then I just use an AUX cable and im good to go.

If you need any speaker dimensions or affordable stock replacements, check out this guide: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43488
There are many nice speakers to be found on occasional sale or on the clearance section on the Parts-Express website.

Love the build! Keep up the good work! The downpipe isn't too bad to get off. Its a pain if the bolts are stuck, but liberal amounts of penatrant spray a day or two prior will help loosen things up. The cat if it is in good shape is a moot point at stock-ish power levels from what I've heard. It will make the car louder without it, especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. That being said, I've removed mine already but the long term plan is to put in a high performance cat when I build a custom system.

Curry

ZeroDrift":1wxgzzqo said:
Curry":1wxgzzqo said:

If you need any speaker dimensions or affordable stock replacements, check out this guide: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=43488
There are many nice speakers to be found on occasional sale or on the clearance section on the Parts-Express website.

Love the build! Keep up the good work! The downpipe isn't too bad to get off. Its a pain if the bolts are stuck, but liberal amounts of penatrant spray a day or two prior will help loosen things up. The cat if it is in good shape is a moot point at stock-ish power levels from what I've heard. It will make the car louder without it, especially if you have an aftermarket exhaust. That being said, I've removed mine already but the long term plan is to put in a high performance cat when I build a custom system.

Thanks, and thanks for the link. I'm probably going to keep using the stocks for now. They sound surprisingly good, not great but enough to get by for a while. I'll bookmark the link for later as im sure it will come in handy.

I guess I'll leave the cat as is until i'm ready to get a downpipe a little later on.

Curry

So I did some poking around and I did not realize that the cold start injector was that thing sticking out right at the opening of my intake manifold :lol: . It was completely covered in carbon/crap. After cleaning it up that problem where the car would crank for a while before started, disappeared. It starts up pretty much normally every time now. My idle isn't as high as it was either. Just a tiny bit under 1k. It was around 1200 last i checked before I cleaned the injector.

Curry

Radiator came in today. Tomorrow i'll have time put it in and see how things go.

Installed a catch can last week and since then I haven't seen smoke after or during boost.

rad.jpg

88gt4DE

Makes me want to pull that injector out and look at it .... Never have .. hmmm. Good looking radiator. Let us know how it goes ... Gotta get that thing to a meet soon !!! :wink:

Curry

Yep, no need to even pull it. Pull off your Throttle body and you'll see it and be able to clean it. I guess you can remove if you want to go all out and clean it, or even replace it.

Ok so I installed the new radiator, I was only able to fit one fan which is 12" I also have it set to PULL air. I don't know what the cfm is cause I borrowed it from a friend.

I put another 12" electric fan on the condenser. I filled up the radiator and mixed in some water wetter, let out air. Took it for a drive but as soon as I put the AC on for a while it will start to overheat.

No I did not do the thermostat yet but I will do it on Friday just to be certain. It doesn't seem like it could be the thermostat but you never know with these things. I'm gonna let it cool down and try to see if I can get more air out.

Oh and WTF I just found out this thing has front speakers. LOL. I pulled off the grills from the front and found empty holes with wires. Are there any brackets or anything that goes in there?

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg