How To Tell What Year ST205 Engine?

deecee

none that I know of. Only visual differences are between standard and wrc variants for the st205.
I would imagine very few '99 engines around and the majority of engines available from wreckers are 94-96.
Remember that the caldina gtt arrived in 1997, so v4 3sgtes were available as of then.

COP, side feed manifold, integrated ex manifold and turbo housing and different cam cover are the easiest visual references.

l0ch0w

They never put gen 4 3sgtes into the ST205

If anything, the only difference might have been that they upgraded the blocks in the 98+ 3sgte ST205 engines.

Only way to tell is to feel around for the strengthened waterpump area on the block. Which is difficult to do unless you pull off the head.

sMARTINside

There is a way to know if you have the tranny that came with it. The serial number punched on the front side of the tranny reveals the year. If I still remember right, if it is 6, it would be a 1996.

Besides that, on the engine harness, there is an identification tag, where the year and month of the harness is written too.

alltracman78

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for. :)
I actually knew about the harness tags, but never thought to use it for that, thanks for the reminder.:)
The trans is probably a more reliable way, harnesses may not get used on the year they were made.

Good info. :)