Using camber plates as caster plates?

mike325ci

I said this multiple times, but I prefer the Toyota OEM "crash bolts" over any aftermarket ones, because they are much thicker and stronger and can hold a lot more torque/force.

I think visually you can clearly see the difference: see my project thread, jump to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22973&p=355694#p356043

"3-dot" is the one that gives you the most adjustment and that's what I used to control my camber along with my camber/caster plates.

works awesome in autocross, as tested this weekend-- car slalomns as well, if not better, than my old E46 BMW now... :)

Spectra1

Or you could just get the MRT/Noltec camber castor plates and be able to adjust both at the same time without any drilling.

DSC_0325.jpg

underscore

I can try to line up my camber plates with my spare struts but I know that the rear studs don't make an equilateral triangle like the fronts do.

athousandleaves

I did this on my car and lost all self centering of the steering, without much positive effect to the feel is this typical of swapping the plates?
Maybe all I was missing was the over-priced alignment?
Some local Alltrac guys suspected that it was to do with the kingpin/sai being thrown off :shrug:

CMS-GT4

Ok, thanks. I was going to get some noltechs for the front and use the teins on the rear, but nevermind. I will just stick with my teins as caster plates and use crash bolts for camber.

MWP

athousandleaves":1fznx5kb said:
I did this on my car and lost all self centering of the steering, without much positive effect to the feel is this typical of swapping the plates?
Some local Alltrac guys suspected that it was to do with the kingpin/sai being thrown off :shrug:

I lost self centering at extreme steering angles (near lock).
During normal driving it works fine though.

Did you get a wheel align after adding caster?
Its vital to do so, as adding caster will throw toe out of whack which will effect the self-centering effect.

MWP

CMS-GT4":3ji47j5a said:
Ok, thanks. I was going to get some noltechs for the front and use the teins on the rear, but nevermind. I will just stick with my teins as caster plates and use crash bolts for camber.

Yup, thats the way to do it.

Using adj strut tops to adjust camber isnt good anyway. It increases the kingpin angle which is bad.
Using crash/cam bolts is the best way to add camber.

athousandleaves

MWP":hj05n5ob said:
athousandleaves":hj05n5ob said:

I lost self centering at extreme steering angles (near lock).
During normal driving it works fine though.

Did you get a wheel align after adding caster?
Its vital to do so, as adding caster will throw toe out of whack which will effect the self-centering effect.

Yeah I neglected to go for an alignment, I've since swapped back and have gone for a more tire-conservative amount of camber :(

CMS-GT4

How much caster do you think one could gain without swapping the plates, left to right. I can't seem to get mine off. If I could get two or so, I think that would be fine for now.

Mafix

fyi post
st16x chassis

superpro increased caster bushings
turned megan coilovers to increase camber and caster
and cam bolts to correct camber

i measured my caster (work at a shop with a beam alignment machine), 2.8 degrees positive.

Meenya

Using crash/cam bolts adds another variable when you pick width and offset for your wheels just thought I'd mention that.

dkdmonk

Not sure if anyone cares but I've been working with Jay at Ground Control and they're going to make some 185 caster/camber plates.
We went back and forth about using the camber plates as caster and crash bolts for camber. His plates are slotted for caster (body mount) and slotted for camber (strut mount).
Much like these (although these are for MR2 and don't have as much castor adjustment as some of his other plates) -
CCPMR2F_fs_zpsc2532195.jpg

I'm getting the GC coil over kit to go with my Koni's and had planned on going Cusco plates but he said he has had a few folks ask for these and has decided to offer them. Contact Jay/Trevor if you have questions, not me :lol:

I will do a write up on the swap after I get everything. So far the struts are off and I've pulled them all a part, once I get the coil over kit I'll cut the old spring perches off and have the strut tubes powder coated before putting them back together. Jay said the CCP's should be ready in a couple of weeks. I've got time since I'm also working on a 205 motor swap..
Cheers,

PS I have no financial interest with GC, just happy customer (they supplied my CO kit for my other sporty car:))

CMS-GT4

I like this better than the other design. I need to figure out if my twins will fit and these will go on my shopping list.

gt4tified

These look like an excellent option for those with spring/strut combos! Is there an estimated price for them as yet? I'm interested!