88' Celica Alltrac refresh

Curry

Haven't had much time these days to do anything. I did however get a Blitz Electronic boost controller from a friend. Wasn't using it and he just gave it to me. :D

I guess friday ill have some more updates since ill have more time to work on that splitter and FMIC mockup.

88gt4DE

Nice find .... Free is a good thing too ... Think I'm gonna go with the HKS but undecided at the moment ...

Curry

88gt4DE":37a5nsui said:
Nice find .... Free is a good thing too ... Think I'm gonna go with the HKS but undecided at the moment ...

Yea HKS was on my list (cheapest :D ) when I was first looking around. I didn't realize these things cost so much! The blitz retails for around 250-300 used and 500+ new!

My friend has the HKS EVC 6 in his evo. Says good things about it.

Curry

Argh still haven't had time to work on that damn splitter and the second shroud. I did get a chance to install my FMIC which took a lot more time than I expected. Air still flows great no overheating on hot days except one day I let the car idle really long and it got hotter than usual. But the coolant has not been overflowing or anything like that and I did mix in some water as well.

558275_562964216042_649946154_n.jpg

Curry

I really wanted HID's for this car but I wanted to do it right. So to get things rolling I ordered a set of those cheapo projector headlights from ebay. My plan is to open them up. Take out the crappy excuse for projectors they have in there and retrofit some FX35 projectors or RX400 projectors.

I've done a similar retro on another car which was much more difficult so this should be a piece O' Cake. I'm going to be building a sump for my 30g saltwater tank so i guess when im done with that I'll start on the lights.

I got the lights in today and they LOOK okay but you can see all the flaws right away.

1. Projectors look a bit off center :doh:
2. Refector not needed (going to paint black) :doh:
3. Projector is not sealed around the lens. :doh:
4. There is NO cutoff bar :doh:

Besides all that I can make do with the rest. The most important part the glass is not fluted so no work to be done there.

Heres a pic of them. I'll take more shots of the construction of the lights a little later.

IMAG0136.jpg

ZeroDrift

underscore":3893gh2b said:
Curry":3893gh2b said:
I really wanted HID's for this car but I wanted to do it right.

Unless you spend literally thousands of dollars that's not going to happen...

Not exactly true. A retro fit is one of the more affordable ways of accomplishing this and you can keep it under $1000 using some decent quality components.

underscore

ZeroDrift":mj0oz0th said:
underscore":mj0oz0th said:
Curry":mj0oz0th said:

Not exactly true. A retro fit is one of the more affordable ways of accomplishing this and you can keep it under $1000 using some decent quality components.

But it still won't function like a proper, legal system would (auto-leveling, etc).

phattyduck

underscore":qanbbhyv said:
But it still won't function like a proper, legal system would (auto-leveling, etc).
Legal systems don't require auto-leveling... they just require leveling. Check an STi or similar range car with HIDS - manual headlight leveling switch. Of course, not matter what we do the lights won't be truly legal (no certs, etc.).

That said, adjust them correctly and they can function just as well and much better in many cases than stock systems out there.

-Charlie

Curry

ZeroDrift":3jzix82t said:
underscore":3jzix82t said:
Curry":3jzix82t said:

That was my thinking as well. I never knew a proper HID setup to cost over 1k unless you use some crap out of a Porsche or something. I've seen many done using TSX or Honda S2k projectors which seem to be the most popular. All resulted in even lighting with no hot spots, no glare or anything of that nature. None of them had auto leveling either.

Curry

Sorry for the lack of updates. Haven't really done much. I've just been driving it to and from work and enjoying it. Trying to get minor things fixed before the weather gets all cold here.

Mostly been busy with my fish tank. I've done some major work on it and recently installed a sump so thats been draining my time.

Its a mixed saltwater reef with live coral

pics of the tank and sump since I have nothing else car related to show you guys. LOL.

FTS_6_24_11.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

DSC_1712.jpg

entrax

hey, regarding your headlight plans, lmk if you need help! did it to my gt-s and it's definitely not $1000...more like $200

Curry

entrax":4zxwd3la said:
hey, regarding your headlight plans, lmk if you need help! did it to my gt-s and it's definitely not $1000...more like $200

I'll let you know how it goes, waiting on some projectors to arrive. I installed the lights as-is just to see how they look since I don't drive the car much these days. They look good and I haven't been highbeamed by anyone yet so thats good lol. There is glare but not as much as I expected. I spent about $200 for the projectors, figure another $200 for misc crap and the phillips ballasts and bulbs.

Curry

MrMcQuacker":1vzw86v6 said:
Nice tank. I have a 60g Cichlid tank with 3 Tiger Oscars. That's also my other hobby besides cars :).

Nice! I love those, my brother law had a Cichlid tank too but for some reason they started to die off, he switched over to salt last year.

Curry

88gt4DE":1lmu8gfg said:
Any updates man ?

Lol thought I disappeared huh? I got a couple of updates for ya. I was between jobs the last couple of weeks. Finally quit staples and got myself a life changing job. yea it was that bad over at staples...

Anyway... I'm still looking for a head to replace my cracked one. I drive the car here and there no place to far.

Just got a heat blanket for the turbo, gotta install that also.

Template is cut for the splitter, I just need to start the fiberglassing (when it gets warmer)

Coilovers came this morning, i'm just waiting on random bushings, endlinks and other suspension related stuff to come in before I install them.

I finally cleared out that stock intercooler crap and did the front mount. I did not notice much lag at all... I didn't quite finish since we got done late, I parked it up and left it. Things that are left to do:

- fix all that random wiring
- run extended hoses for the intake
- secure intake
- remove intercooler reservoir
- clean up engine bay

IMAG0389_zpsffbcc00a.jpg

I got rid of that crappy ugly dirty shift boot lol

IMAG0342_zps213d8e06.jpg

IMAG0391_zpse5b68fed.jpg

88gt4DE

There ya are !!! 8) I've been away doing crap too. Half of its posted ... other half to come next week :wink: Were did ya get yer shifter boot ? My OEM one looks like crap already. Did you see them with black stitching ?

Curry

88gt4DE":j7wird79 said:
There ya are !!! 8) I've been away doing crap too. Half of its posted ... other half to come next week :wink: Were did ya get yer shifter boot ? My OEM one looks like crap already. Did you see them with black stitching ?

I shall check your thread out. The boot was from ebay, at first I couldn't get it on the metal ring but I pulled the ends to stretch it a bit and it fit nice and snug. I didn't see any with the black stitching but I didn't look really cause I wanted one to match the nardi wheel I was looking at.

heres the link: http://stores.ebay.com/AutumWish/Shift- ... 34.c0.m322

Yea my OEM one was all sticky and weird.

Now I just need one of these: :twisted:

IMG_8880.jpg

MrMcQuacker

Thx about the cichlid tank. Ya it's hard to take care of them specialy when you have many from different islands. They will fight for the territory.

Also keep up the good work fellas. Eventually I'll post some stuff or make my own project thread. My car is slowly comming along finally:)