GT86 promotion - Toyota Sport Heritage Tour

Meurz

With the GT86 now readily available at Dutch dealers, Toyota NLD introduced the Toyota Sport Heritage Tour, for which they've taken some proper Toyota's from the Louwman Museum and put them on display at a few selected dealers in the country.

I went over to check it out and take some pics. Major disappointment was the JGTC Supra which turned out to be a UK plated POS plastered with Halfords/Autostyle crap. Bit of a shame. Also, apart from the TA64, all cars were locked. :(

What I did like though, was the fact I got to drive both a flappy paddle and manual GT86. I didn't expect the sales guy (19 y/o) to push me to give it some stick as soon as we left the parking lot while the car wasn't fully up to temp, quite a lot of traffic, etc. :roll: (Luckily it's a dry weekend, otherwise I'm sure they'd totalled one already.) After getting used to the diff and brakes and finding some clear roads, I smashed it around a few bends (mr sales guy now suddenly silent and co-braking with both feet, lol) and I can say I really like the chassis. I know everybody complains about the lack of power but this car clearly stimulates the driver to retain his speed instead. The car is not slow and above 5k rpm VTEC kicks in yo. It's very easy to keep braking on the limit of ABS kicking in and the manual box has a nice precise and short throw. The flappy paddle in manual mode has a bit slow response imo. I didn't drive it in full auto mode but apparently in auto it's supposed to be quicker than the stick shift model, even with it being 40ish kg heavier? I don't know which one I'd buy but I do know I want one as dd in the future. It's really a lot of fun to drive! 8)

Some pics:

2.jpg

5.jpg

^ 1978 facelift model Ralt RT1, Jan Lammers won the 1978 European F3 championship in this car competing for Toyota Team Holland.

9.jpg

^ 1986 Safari Rally Kenya winning Celica TA64 or Twincam Turbo (TCT, Waldegård/Gallagher)

Check out the other pics @ http://turbocelica.nl/sportheritagetour.htm. I didn't take any pics of the Supra or GT86s because not race car.

CMS-GT4

Its not a bad car. The chassis is where it shines. Plenty of aftermarket for it already and rumor of factor FI. I am sure it will make a decent car for a lot of people as long as they ditch those ugly oem rims.

CMS-GT4

I still wish they did something a little more Celica/Supra with it. I think this would had been a far more interesting car if it was offered in configurations like this:

Subaru BRZ: NA Flat 4/ STi Turbo Flat 4.
Scion FRS: TC or 2ZZ engine
Toyota Celica: revised 3sgte with aluminum block
Toyota Supra: Either an updated 2JZ, or some FI based on their current v6 lineups.

Of course nothing like that will ever exist, and the Supra version would be picked apart by the fan boys no matter what they did to it.

CSAlltrac

Im starting to spy a few of these around town. I have to say they are sexy. 5Axis had theirs on display at Toyotafest and it was on point. Keeping fingers crossed for FI application.

Meurz

Keeping fingers crossed for US pricing over here.. GT86 is 40k euro (57k US$), FML! But luckily our lowest quality gas is only 10.15 US$ a gallon :doh: