C5 calipers / STI rotors??

Hotrodhendrix

Has anyone looked into this?

C5 front calipers can be found used for - 100-150
Corvette C5 any model (Edit: only difference between base and z06 calipers is red paint)
Front Min Thickness: 1.19
Disc outer dia. : 12.8

STI
Front:
Standard value: 30 mm (1.18 in)
Disc outer dia. : 326 mm (12.83 in)

~James

underscore

Is that per caliper, or for both? I paid $175 each for my Porsche/Brembos, and I understand you Americans can get them even cheaper than that. It's probably easier to go with an existing solution vs coming up with something new.

CMS-GT4

It's all going to depend on mounting design. I had tried to mount evo 8 calipers and Sti rotors and due to the caliper ears it wasn't going to work. If your going custom wilwoods and Sti rotors would be the easiest. I would suggest going off the shelf. Making your own setup isn't easy. Also you need to know more about the Vette pistons etc in the calipers to know if it works with your system.

Hotrodhendrix

THat price is for two. Actually I found a set for 50 locally. I thought the porsche parts were in the 3-400's.

Do the porche units have the same clamping force as the corvette parts? As for size the corvette calipers seem to be decently larger.

~James

CMS-GT4

How big are the pads compared between the two? There are calipers out there larger than the 205 calipers, but they have larger pads than some of those larger calipers. You might need to find a corvette racing forum and see what they are doing for their brake setups. There you might find piston sizes, master cylinder sizes and pad dimensions. All in all, you need to decide if your time is worth the couple hundred bucks you save.

underscore

Hotrodhendrix":1oe1yfmi said:
THat price is for two. Actually I found a set for 50 locally. I thought the porsche parts were in the 3-400's.

Do the porche units have the same clamping force as the corvette parts? As for size the corvette calipers seem to be decently larger.

~James

I paid $350 for a pair from a local wrecker, off a 2002 Boxter S. I know some of the others who have gotten them in the states have found them for $100 each or so.

The Corvette ones do look bigger but they look to be two pots? The Porsche ones are four pots.

CMS-GT4

I looked up these c5 calipers. Like Underscore said, they are 2pot. Also, they use a heavy bracket design. They might be cheaper, but you would be better off getting the brembos. They will cost more in the long run trying to figure out how to make them work. Its more pain than what its worth. This is coming from a guy who has owned four different BBKs trying to make them work on these cars.
Wilwood
Evo 8 Brembo
St205
And Back to Wilwoods.

Looking back, the Evo 8s would had been a good option, but I was set on Sti rotors. Had I not bothered with those, I might had found something that worked with the calipers and been done years ago. The 205s would had been a simple affair if I was not trying so hard to do the 5x114 conversion.

I had found a place that would make me a custom rotor rings. I could had used wrx rotor hats which are cheap on ebay. Just need a center ring, and a spacer then bam...

Hotrodhendrix

Edit~ Yep they look to be 2 pot calipers and not four.. hmmm Sounds like porsche it is

C5, Base, Front x2 40.5mm pistons
1" bore master cylinder
Yet to get pad size

When searching for piston size on the porsche calipers I get a bunch of results. 30, 36, 40 amd 44mm?? Whate are they actually or were all these available?

I just wanted to make sure a better and cheaper options wasnt right in front of us.

~James