While you are talking about the ST165 Intercooler

freddie

I was reading a blog on the English GT4dc site about the ST165 intercooler, and they were saying that the two main problems (from what I can gather)is that the circulation pump does not run all the time, and the other is that the intercooler does not have any insulation and sitting above the turbo and the engine, it soaks up the heat.

They give you info on how to re-wire the pump at the CU, and they advise how to insulate the intercooler.

Now add the previous threads I have read here, maybe I will leave the stock IC in place and just do all the little mods to improve it. I know where i can buy some ACL insulation material. This stuff is two layer of aluminium with sought of ceramic material in between the layers (looks a bit like manifold gasket material) and is sold in sheets.

I'm ok with a soldering iron, I reckon I could make an insulation tray for under the IC, and maybe look at relocating the heat exchanger a bit lower and adding an electric fan as well.

I have read somewhere a front located air to air IC is just another layer to hinder air getting through to the radiator.

So what do you think guys? Do I leave the standard intercooler in place and just improve it or do I ditch it and get a say 600X300X75
mm air to air aluminium intercooler?

P.S. Where can I get a new "toyota" sticker to go on top of the stock intercooler? You know the original sticker.

MrDB

the constant pump on mod doesnt work the system works better from the surge type system it has as stock. i.e it heats up then is rapidly cooled when pump turnsd on.

The stock165 intercoler however struggles to keep temperatures down even at stock power if running full throttle for sustained periods.

the options are.

Fit a bigger radiator to the system so you have a bigger volume of water to cool.
Find a CS / RC carlos sainz intercooler and fit that
Go front mount.

You already have a rad infront for the heat exchanger so replacing it with a front mount make little difference and overall is a consistant improvement.

hey, im just finishing up my intercooler upgrade, and want to show my wicked find. On top is going an st185rc intercooler, a new bosch pump below, and after searching the wreckers, i found a miraculous find. the engine rad from a 1982 prelude 5 speed fits where the stock ac rad sat within millimeters! i should mention that i have also performed the ac delete during this downtime.
20120628112513.jpg

its absolutely uncanny how this rad fits the car. even the stock rad cap and spout fit. a few brackets built, but no cutting of the car.

20120629222452.jpg

after some brazing of new fittings

UtahSleeper

Interesting idea for the IC liquid. I would be more inclined to go FMIC to reduce clutter, but this seems like a good fit. Hope you get before and after numbers.

Going to run the pump stock or constant?

Seems like the best performance would be to always keep the intake temps down. Just seems healthier.

I got everything back together about 11 o'clock last night, went out for a half hour drive. When I got home, the rc intercooler was cold on intake plenum side, and ambient outside temp on turbo side. the stock intercooler setup would be untouchable even after ten min of driving. I had to go to a mine site till Friday, so no extensive testing till the weekend, but im feeling very optimistic.

20120625235159.jpg

got an aluminum rad for same project

changed a lot of things under the hood this episode, so had to fab a lot parts
img1598zg.jpg

img1601w.jpg

img1609dd.jpg

img1604mw.jpg

img1583q.jpg

img1593ou.jpg

img1587em.jpg

img1588ak.jpg

img1589gq.jpg

img1619hj.jpg

this weekend i gotta build an airbox, and clean up a few items

i mounted the rc intercooler a little higher to keep it away from heat, but in turn, the stock hood would have to have braces cut off the inside, so i put my parts car hood on.
img1614b.jpg

img1615uk.jpg

almost running

201207022158562.jpg

GT4_Vinnie

Hey guys,

May be a little off topic, but ive got a question about the stock IC.

On my 165 Ive removed stock IC, pump rad etc, and just wondering if im gonna have any issues with the old sensors not being plugged into anything, If so is there anyway around thise as Ive gone FMIC. Just not wanting to bring on the engine light because of removing the stock IC.

Thanks
Vinnie