1991 RC recovery mission - "Rebel Scum"

underscore

If there's any maintenance that can be done inside the diff while it's out then I'll open it, otherwise I prefer to keep it sealed up as it isn't leaking atm.

phattyduck

underscore":16uq8yu3 said:
Rear end is mostly apart, my biggest issue right now is getting the axles out of the hubs as I have no way to stop them from spinning & I want to rebuild them before everything goes back in (the boots look pretty worn & dried out).
Not sure if you solved this one yet... get a 3' or so length of black iron pipe in about a 1" diameter (something that will fit around your breaker bar for later use as a cheater bar). Use that pipe to jam the wheel studs from turning while you crank on the axle nut.

Or just use a good impact driver. :twisted:

-Charlie

underscore

I've already got a nice 2' piece that came as the removable handle extension on my big jack, unfortunately it always falls out because everything is free to flop around as it pleases. My impact isn't powerful enough either.

If I take it to my friends shop and put the center of the CV in a vice (with wood to protect the CV) I'm assuming the outer nub of the CV (for lack of a better term) will stay put if I hit the nut with a better impact?

In other news my friend just picked up a nicely built Nissan 240SX, its an S14.5 with a built KA24DE+T. She found a dyno sheet for 312hp/265tq but apparently the car got tuned down a bit after for reliability, and has since had the turbo replaced. 2700lb stock, plus the added weight of the turbo setup (say 2800lb?) vs my RC with some minor weight reductions I'm guessing it's near 3000lb? According to the Power Primer 232hp/224tq for the RC @10psi, so ~272 @14psi plus 3" straightpipe and intake (supposedly 30hp) leaves me at 302hp and who knows what torque.

We'll be on a dyno for shits and giggles soon, I'm curious to see how they stack up. Racing next year will be interesting either way. Regardless of the outcome I can at least take comfort in knowing I would win any race involving gravel or jumps.

underscore

Coilovers are in my living room! I almost don't want to install them because of how clean and shiny they are haha

underscore

Shiny! Poor lighting but you get the idea.

264346_10152123352080193_402484514_n.jpg

431370_10152123353095193_1384352937_n.jpg

488376_10152123353710193_1455838669_n.jpg

422800_10152123354035193_693534419_n.jpg

celi_wabbit

Hey Undescore... did you happen to have a gap issue between ur rotor and ball joint? I have the Porsche kit also and I'm having a slight rubbing inside part of the rotors. Did you have to get the rotor shaved and if so, how many MM did you have to shave?

underscore

Nope mine seem to fit just fine. It's close, close enough that I ended up cutting the dust shields off because I couldn't bend them enough while still on the car, but it fits. How do your rotors line up with the calipers? Are you sure you've got the right rotors? Which ones did you get?

celi_wabbit

underscore":2g44khnr said:
Nope mine seem to fit just fine. It's close, close enough that I ended up cutting the dust shields off because I couldn't bend them enough while still on the car, but it fits. How do your rotors line up with the calipers? Are you sure you've got the right rotors? Which ones did you get?

It's not a problem with calipers lining up to rotors. My DRT rotors has a mm and half clearance when jacked up but, I think it's less when the tire is on the ground. I see a slight rub mark inside the rotor just even to the ball joint. By the way, I have no issue with the dust shield.

underscore

I know, I was using the comparison to the calipers to help gauge if the rotors are incorrect. I haven't lifted my front end back up since I put the brakes on, so I'll have to see how close they come. Maybe I'll use some putty or something to check if there is contact.

celi_wabbit

underscore":1beni4bu said:
I know, I was using the comparison to the calipers to help gauge if the rotors are incorrect. I haven't lifted my front end back up since I put the brakes on, so I'll have to see how close they come. Maybe I'll use some putty or something to check if there is contact.

You'll know if you see some mark on your inner rotors. You probably don't have to lift it. Just need to lay and reach but, if your going to measure it, then, you may have to put it on the jack.

underscore

I think I want to measure it, I'm not too familiar with suspension geometry, will this gap change even more once I lower the car/push it through corners?

underscore

I gave the RC the ol' reach around, and it feels like they might be touching. Hard to tell, as the ball joint is curved, so Ill do some measuring.

celi_wabbit

underscore":2p2ang9b said:
I gave the RC the ol' reach around, and it feels like they might be touching. Hard to tell, as the ball joint is curved, so Ill do some measuring.

Keep me up to date! I know when I installed mine, I thought I had enough clearance between the rotors an d the ball joint. But I noticed that as soon as I dropped the car and had load on the wheels, the gap got smaller and noticed that had some rub mark on the inner rotors. I'm thinking of just getting a 3mm spacer and put it between the hub and rotor to push the gap 3mm more. Not sure if I need to extend the studs?

underscore

I was thinking the same thing, the studs should be fine, but I'm assuming we'd need to move the caliper as well. Which would mean shaving down the bracket 3mm.

I think a couple people are driving on this setup, I wonder what they and gtfourtc have to input on this?

celi_wabbit

underscore":3ha22hmp said:
I was thinking the same thing, the studs should be fine, but I'm assuming we'd need to move the caliper as well. Which would mean shaving down the bracket 3mm.

I think a couple people are driving on this setup, I wonder what they and gtfourtc have to input on this?

I think you can flip the bracket around and just put washer to space it out. From what gtfourtc was saying, its pretty close.

underscore

I think I've already got my brackets flipped with the holes as far out as they go, I don't know for sure though. I might take it apart tonight.

celi_wabbit

underscore":1h5yym51 said:
I think I've already got my brackets flipped with the holes as far out as they go, I don't know for sure though. I might take it apart tonight.

That's the thing, Ive been searching and have not found anyone saying anything.

underscore

Hmm, I guess it's up to us then. I'll lift it up and take the wheel off and see what happens when the suspension is at full compression.