1991 RC recovery mission - "Rebel Scum"

celi_wabbit

underscore":3vlo5bvy said:
Hmm, I guess it's up to us then. I'll lift it up and take the wheel off and see what happens when the suspension is at full compression.

I can't take mine apart yet bc I'm going to the NE meet! so, I'll be doing it after then. I was also thinking of cambering it to see if that's enough to move it away from the ball joint. If that works? then I'll go with that. Just have to re-align the wheels again.

underscore

Tore the rest of the rear end apart, and broke bolt #2. Oh well, good excuse for some new hardware. Tomorrow it's all off to the shop to get new bushings pressed in, and to have the rear axles rebuilt, as the boots are all dried out and cracked.

underscore

Rear end is at the shop, front control arms came out Sunday so they're off to the shop tonight.

Also I've been offered some free 680cc top feed injectors. I was planning on eventually jumping to 550's anyways, so how would the car handle these 680's? Obviously a new rail and FPR would go in with them.

Overtriped

Nice project! I was thinking of getting the Porsche brakes with sti rotors as well, trying to get a set of brackets. ill keep the inner spacers in mind. I would use lock washers with thoes brackets(if ya dont.) Keep up the good work!! Thanks for checking out my build!

underscore

Thanks! I removed the wheels and jacked up the suspension as high as I thought it would go without lifting the rest of the car up and it looks like I have ok clearance back there, but I'll still be keeping an eye on it.

pintoBC_5sfte":un14ehee said:
may have missed it but what are you going with to tune?

Stock RC ECU and maybe a piggyback, but only if I really really have to.

underscore

I've been informed that my bushings should be done, I also got some welding done to the front control arms while the bushings were out to stiffen them up, apparently some JDM racing team does this to all their GTFours and it helps a lot, so we'll see.

I'm also going to be entering some local Time Attack style racing coming up at the end of October. I really want to take the RC but k.beaty is making me want to take my GTS. I'm not sure if the poor thing would be up to that though.

underscore

Apparently it took 6 hours to press the old bushings out and the new ones in...damn. I might have to buy a press to DIY the subframe bushings & the ones for my GTS.

underscore

Got a couple parts installed today, I ended up having to add a couple washers under the swaybar mounting nut and bolt to prevent squishing the bushing too much:

284029_10152177678140193_82947240_n.jpg

BC Racing RAM Type coilovers
Brembo/Porsche Calipers
Powerslot/STi rotors
Technafit SS brake lines
GT4 Racing swaybar endlinks
GT4 Racing swaybar bushings
GT4 Racing front control arm bushings

underscore

I also ran into a small problem. The small bracket that connect the rear mount for the front LCA, to the large bracket that the front mount connects to, won't line up. It's off by about 1/2" and I have no clue what to change to fix this:

PA072535.jpg

Circled in red:

bracket.jpg

DTE

underscore":6v7cpawp said:
I also ran into a small problem. The small bracket that connect the rear mount for the front LCA, to the large bracket that the front mount connects to, won't line up. It's off by about 1/2" and I have no clue what to change to fix this:

To me it looks like you can flip "48075" and the hole would line up.

Landon

ooh i'm glad i found this! car looks good man. i'm in the process of that brake upgrade as well. I love your wheels! any pictures of how it sits right now or you in the middle of it all? needless to say, subscribed.

underscore

Thanks! Currently it only has one corner assembled and snugged down so it's still on jack stands, I was hoping to finish up the drivers front tomorrow but the starter fried on my Jeep so that may have to wait a few more days.

So that I don't forget, my to-do list:

1) Install drivers swaybar bushing
2) Install rear swaybar bushings
3) Assemble drivers front suspension
4) Reinstall chassis brace
5) Replace broken exhaust helicoil
6) Install rear diff kit
7) Assemble rear suspension
8) Bleed brakes
9) Bleed IC
10) Bleed coolant
11) Fill oil
12) Alignment (still need to find the specs)
13) Race

All within about a week so I can do some testing and be sure my turbo is gonna hold together.

underscore

Picked up a cheap Autometer water temp gauge, as a bonus it came with the T for tapping into the rad hose. Unfortunately it seems that 1) there's no room on the 3SGTE upper hose for a T to fit and 2) since it's mechanical the cable length is fixed and it's too short for a 3SGTE. So it'll be going in the GTS instead, it's everything I don't want in a gauge save for the face being black (it's a 60mm, mechanical, blue backlit *F gauge and I want a 52mm, electric, amber backlit *C gauge) but it will tell me temperature and that's important.

I also got a free Buddy Club racing battery, it's a lot heavier than my Deka and apparently dead, the trickle charger is having issues getting a good connection to it so I'll have to fiddle around a bit tomorrow and see if I can bring it back to life.

underscore

It's been a while since I've updated this, after hunting forever I ordered rear axle boots from Lithia which showed up the other day, now once the axles are done being rebuilt I really have no excuses for not finishing this up