St215 motor + st205 gearbox into St165 JDM build

MWP

bmt":p3236w7c said:
So I should be able to put it into my top hose and run the bleed off to my original tank correct? My little tank can then be a ,(very), small header tank as well? If I can do it like that I will whip one up!! I guess the size is about 75mm dia and about 120mm high, a cone on the top to help funnel the air off. I imagine that the inlet and outlet just have to have a decent vertical gap between them to promote flow?

Youll see in the Milner photo quite a large bleed tank.
Im not sure exactly how large one should be :(

The most important thing is to have it above the highest coolant point in the engine bay, so air heads up to it, and cant return.
Higher up the better.

bmt

MWP":1y9rautn said:
bmt":1y9rautn said:
So I should be able to put it into my top hose and run the bleed off to my original tank correct? My little tank can then be a ,(very), small header tank as well? If I can do it like that I will whip one up!! I guess the size is about 75mm dia and about 120mm high, a cone on the top to help funnel the air off. I imagine that the inlet and outlet just have to have a decent vertical gap between them to promote flow?

Youll see in the Milner photo quite a large bleed tank.
Im not sure exactly how large one should be :(

The most important thing is to have it above the highest coolant point in the engine bay, so air heads up to it, and cant return.
Higher up the better.

Yeah mine is definitely at the highest point, so that isn't a problem. The extra capacity, (Up to 4 litres!!), is there for more extreme motors, (or conditions), than mine I believe so I guess it will be ok. It is after all, over and above a standard set up so it cant do any harm.

bmt

MWP":1c557i4u said:
bmt":1c557i4u said:
I installed a coolant swirl pot...

No you didnt. Youve made up a simple bleed tank.
A nice looking one though :)

A swirlpot looks like these:
eNpVjc0OgjAQhF_F7APA9odat0fPJiZ6J7UiVNGSFqPG-O5KgINzm28yM5Y0vRMJgs47MIkKJNjYeEn52sbF1ruUb3xyi314hd7muz3TRZ4ePrZd6EsmS5adu3poSoKTb1swnnAYInDWNdXg2ej75n49zDkjeA6137VGhJG8JqIm8kNtqEPpQrxVcZ7SE-1cD-ZImEn8F-ccpVQoV7xAwQRq1HLJlRBCMc2URMUL8_kCNRpGJA,,.jpg

eNpVjkFuwjAQRa-C5gBkxh4bZ7LsGgmp7CNjDLhNcRSnUlHF3UlEWPB3743m63tx8l9EC_QpQFPEosDWD9-l-vDDapdCqbaphNU-3_Loq889OVMZJsKakTdtDIpUHY9Rt4f1V3-eO1jglLoOmiQ4oREIPlzizPTk8fL7c3jdSeBvfptGOER4mtti7GIm1eVzbkMernF4VbnF9mGE5ii4ZnyPUgqZLXKtDGrS6NDxRlmttSVHltEq09wf4zVHZw,,.jpg

So a bit more like this? :D

DSC02066.JPG

Added another inlet to my bleed tank for the air to go to. Man, cars are gluttons for plumbing once you add all the stuff I have!!!

bmt

Sorry been awhile, anyway update time!

Got my dash back from being recovered.

DSC02083.JPG

Really happy with it. Short length suede in black with red stitching.

With the gauges in place.

DSC02068.JPG

My upholstery guy couldn't guarantee that the suede would stay stuck down in the windscreen vent area due to the heat of the sun and the small contact area so i made up some slotted curved pieces of aluminuim and got them powder coated and screwed them in place.

DSC02070.JPG

No the screws aren't rusty! They are bronze coloured. I couldn't get black and I actually think they look quite good!!

bmt

Also been working on my bonnet. I needed to put some venting in it. I made these about a year ago.

DSC02080.JPG

They were to go in my original bonnet with those ugly vents in it, (see on the first page).

DSC02081.JPG

So I figured I can still use them in my new set up. Time to break out the cutting wheel!!

bmt

Vents installed temporarily cause of paint etc.

DSC02078.JPG

They look a bit square in the photo but they are tapered. You can see better here,

DSC02084.JPG

Here's a view from the back.

DSC02082.JPG

The hope is that it should allow the air flowing from the front out and take some of the heat from the turbo with it!
At least when I park up the heat can escape from under the bonnet, and the rain wont fall directly on my turbo if it's raining.
I dont know if thermal shock is an issue on a turbo but if I can avoid it why not?

deecee

nice work. I've always wondered about the potential of thermal shock on the turbo with the 185 RC vent.
I will have to consider a beanie to introduce some protection.

Seems that I am also modelling my pipe routing from your layout as well. Keep up the good work :)

Toxygene

bmt":1ltk3qth said:
Oh I changed something.....

Before,

View attachment 2

After,

View attachment 1

Another view,

I just wanted something different. It came up on our version of ebay . If you dont know it's from a St162 Corona. I had the grille dechromed and painted it black as were the indicator lense surrounds. I saved a bunch of weight by getting rid of the pop up lights as a bonus.
I have plans for the bonnet including a colour change!!

I had made this suggestion to people here in the US as a modification to make and everyone thought I was crazy. Glad someone did it and showed just how damn sexy that can look. I don't get everyone's attachment to the flip up headlights. I look at that and say it looks much more luxurious, modern, and it should also be looked at as a performance piece as it will drop weight AND net you better light output than the sealed beams. Even converted sealed beams.

Will you go with an aftermarket HID kit? I would if I were you. Just don't get any blue colored HIDs.

801Alltrac

:shock: it looks great man love the front end , like the hood vents too , and the dash omg I love it looks stockish
Great work

bmt

Thanks for all the comments guys!!

Yeah DEE CEE I might invest in a beanie as well cant hurt to keep the temps down as well as protect the turbo.

Toxygene I will stick with stock lights until I get it all running sweet. Easy upgrade later!!

bmt

Since I am getting my car wired at my work by my boss, and my other workmate broke his leg this meant the work piled up so my car got pushed to the back burner. Such is life!

I am trying to source some manual window winders and are also looking at removing the sunroof mechanism and bonding the sunroof in. I never use it and it's starting to rust so if I am gonna pull it I may as well upgrade it. There is a guy in poland that was selling fibreglass sunroofs, hopefully I can get in touch with him and source one.

Will update when I can, thanks for your interest!

bmt

No it's not dead yet!!

So whilst I have been waiting for a wiring opportunity to come along, (See above post), I got a fibreglass sunroof from Paul, (Pawel), at

http://www.gt4-racing.eu/

Stoked. I sent him an old diff cushion and got a nice poly filled one back. I also got a subframe and diff mount poly mount kit. I got the bigger alloy power steering pulley to try out as well.

I got some St205 brakes front and rear so now I have to fit them up. I know it is a challenge especially since I want them to fit under 15 inch wheels!! Fortunately we do this kind of thing at work so we shall see how difficult it is. I will have to turn the diameter down on the rears and probably swap the front discs for wrx sti ones as they have less offset so clear the bottom ball joint.

I will keep you posted and if I get a reasonable solution I will let you know.

bmt

Well by the time I get the 205 brakes to fit under the 15" wheels the disc diameter is too small to be worth it. I have some 16" wheels and they fit over the rears as is....just. There isn't even room for wheel balance weights. So I would like a little more clearance I will reinvestigate it a bit later.

Whilst I was looking at this I was looking at my existing brakes and my bloody expensive Mintex brake pads that a hardly worn at all so I will do my brake upgrade once I have used them up or I decide that my brakes aren't up to it!!!

Cheers!

Zomb

Nice work. Do you need a different speedo drive for the 240k dash to read correctly? I have been looking for a 240km/h speedo.

My car lives up the road from your workshop. I shall have to get it back together and certed...one day :)

bmt

No I didn't need a different drive as the speedo has the same calibration. It says at the top of the speedo 678/rev, (something like that), same as what was on my old 180kph speedo. They come out of Australian St162 models. Stig knows more,he may be able to give you more info and point you in the right direction.

Since I changed my gearbox from a E150 F1 ,(Early St165), to a E154(St205) box. I swapped the speedo drives from my old box (Mechanical) to my new box,(Electrical). If aren't changing your gearbox, nothing to worry about.

Hoping to start the motor soon.....

Thanks for looking!!!

Zomb

Ahh ok. Aus might be a better place to source a speedo then. Thanks. NZ new AT160 also had 240km/h speedo, but there are not many about being wrecked. I have also asked on here for export versions to no avail.

My facelift 165 also has late model running gears. When i purchased it the previous owner said that in had a 185 gearbox. Turned out to be a prefacelift after I removed it and noticed the pneumatic chamber.