Who has broken the stock rear LSD?

BADNEWS

Who has broken the stock rear LSD? And what else did it ruin?

I currently have the factory rear LSD and am debating between keeping it in and see if/when will it break. Or taking it out to sell it and replace it with a Cusco MZ 1.5 way LSD.

Now if it breaks and it only breaks the diff itself I may consider trying to run it for a year or two. But if when it breaks it ruins the housing it's in and maybe more I'll probably replace it right away.

Pictures of destroyed ones will be appreciated.

CMS-GT4

Pat has and do has gtfour77. Neither post here a lot so you may want to check their threads.

aus jd 2703

FYI 800+AWHP will Break most parts......
so anything under 500hp and the diff is well maintained you should be fine.
but a clutch type will perform better (more aggressive)

aus jd 2703

spending that money then a cusco or similar diff should be nothing to you so yes get it imo.
i want one and im planning 300awkw. want may not get me there. :D

esraceing has broken one with moderate mods. Believe he did it in a rally and basically had the rear
of the car raise while under power, spinning the wheel and then came back down and the tire grabbed and that force caused the little gears in the middle to shear
to pieces and it was major damage, ie.. ruined the entire differential. My vote would be for a clutch
unit at your power level.

st185-sainz

on rally 280hp are enough...the torsen unit cannot deal with jumps.

on mine just the small gears broke and I was lucky that nothing got between CWP. It can also damage CWP if the torsen housing breaks.

mario

BADNEWS

st185-sainz":14eh9ks6 said:
on rally 280hp are enough...the torsen unit cannot deal with jumps.

on mine just the small gears broke and I was lucky that nothing got between CWP. It can also damage CWP if the torsen housing breaks.

mario
What is CWP?

sleeper

A few friends have broken them somewhere between 350-450hp. 2 of them took out the trans to, and on the other 2 it was just the diff itself. ( outer housing was fine)

they do NOT like launches with a upgraded clutch. My guess is that it will hold, but you can not do any launches or donuts with it.. So just get a cusco or weld the one you have... no point in building a 700hp car and not beeing able to use it. :D

BADNEWS

sleeper":2bq8vmzh said:
2 of them took out the trans to, and on the other 2 it was just the diff itself

I don't get how it would harm the trans. They are two completely different units. Granted they are connected by the drive shaft but the center diff is designed to slip with a speed difference in the front to the rear.

So what exactly went wrong with their gearboxes when it happened?

4rsnduction

rm2932":2sou1tmj said:
I don't get how it would harm the trans. They are two completely different units. Granted they are connected by the drive shaft but the center diff is designed to slip with a speed difference in the front to the rear.

Imagine the rear diff breaks and locks up while the car is in motion.
The drive shaft and rear wheels have now become stationary but the gearbox and front wheels are spinning plus you may be trying to accelerate.
This type of speed differential would destroy the center diff and burn the hell out of the VC as the fluid would just get really really hot really really fast.

BADNEWS

Just ordered the Cusco diff from board member Klue of XIII Motorsports. And Mario just received my viscous coupling unit. So things are in motion. I'm excited!

tw2

Dumbass question- do all alltracs have a rear LSD? I never really thought about it before. I just assumed we didn't have one. The front diff is open right?