Automotive Touchup Paints

darthripley

That's the paint I have used to repaint the MR2 as well as the front bumper & mudflaps on the alltrac.

The color matches perfectly, especially on the Super Red II (3E5) which is a difficult red to match. I've used other companies like Duplicolor & they are the wrong shade of red to match factory.

I've only had 1 order be the wrong color paint from them, but they fixed it fast for me.
They mix the paint up when you order so it might take a week before they ship, but shipping is quick for me b/c they are in Louisiana.

I like the product quite a lot. I've also heard Sherwin Williams is good quality, as good as PPG without the higher price tag. Some Sherwin Automotive stores will mix the paint & put it in rattle cans for you - you just have to ask.

If you need help/pointers I would be happy to do so in any way I can. After repainting the entire MR2 and other bits here & there I've got a decent grasp on the rattle can repaint scene lol

GT4times2

Thanks Keri,

Do you know if they use another brand of paint (and repackage it), or do they make their own paint? I will give it a try for the engine bay of the Maroon ST185, and the bumpers of the Highlander. Do you have any before and after pics of the MR2 body/paint? I'd love to see what it looks like. I was thinking of using a spray gun versus aerosol cans.

Engine bay painting steps:

1. Remove engine and everything else (of course)
2. Pressure clean/degrease
3. Scotchbrite/sand down
4. Primer/sealer
5. Base coat (2-3 coats)
6. Clear coat (2-3 coats).
7. Buff?

What are your thoughts?

So, you're going to add a 4th shade of burgundy, LOL....Just git er done.

On a more serious note, it depends on how you want the finish to look. I used the rattle can on the sideskirts, thanks to Keri. It will go on smooth & glossy, but dries with a medium texture not unlike spray gun paint which dries with less texture & requires no buffing.....Rattle can, can be buffed out like the skirts, but in an engine compartment, nope. Now if you dont mind the texture then do it.

A complete strip is the best, down to the steering rack & brake lines. If you're going to do all this, ITS COLOR Change Time, maybe a shade of Candy, lol

darthripley

I'll email you some pics of the MR2 before & after.
I wouldn't have painted the entire 2 but unfortunately it was several different shades of off-white that had started to yellow & some parts sort of resembled Super White but not really. It was a cluster of repaints from over the years as well as blatant spray over rock chips - ugh!

I am pretty sure automotive touchup uses their own paint.
You might want to check on a quart of Sherwin Williams Automotive to compare price since you're going to be using a rig to spray.
PPG has awesome quality but isn't cheap of course. I'm planning on using PPG for the refurb/repaint on the centers of the BBS RS001 3 piece rims I have for Super2. There's a place I can go to locally to get a color match on the original BBS gold & get them to put the paint into rattle cans for me :)

I don't have a compressor so everything I do is all rattle can.

When I repainted the engine bay in the Alltrac, I just degreased & cleaned, sanded down with 400 grit sandpaper, primed about 2-3 coats then sprayed Super Red about 2 coats and then clear coated over that.
So little of the engine bay shows that a bit of orange peel really isn't noticable in our cars even if you have a FMIC.
Believe me I am totally and completely anal retentive about paint finishes and that small bit of orange peel in Vadar's engine bay isn't even something that I can notice when looking in there.
I did the same thing in the MR2 bay & more of it shows but it looks just as good.
Be sure to treat any rust after cleaning - more than likely you will have some on the battery tray from battery acid -- that was the only rust Vadar had.

GT4times2

alltrac101":ih5714of said:
So, you're going to add a 4th shade of burgundy, LOL....Just git er done.

On a more serious note, it depends on how you want the finish to look. I used the rattle can on the sideskirts, thanks to Keri. It will go on smooth & glossy, but dries with a medium texture not unlike spray gun paint which dries with less texture & requires no buffing.....Rattle can, can be buffed out like the skirts, but in an engine compartment, nope. Now if you dont mind the texture then do it.

A complete strip is the best, down to the steering rack & brake lines. If you're going to do all this, ITS COLOR Change Time, maybe a shade of Candy, lol

LOL. It's either accept the burgundy as Toyota sent it :| or strip it fully the way I'd want to do it (no time and space these days). I will stick to oem color. I've grown to like the color over time. With the right set of wheels, It'll look pretty good. I'm scaling down on this car (Mild setup/4th Gen engine with BPUs, etc). I want the glossy/shiny engine bay finish. I'm trying to minimize orange peel, (and will try my best for a clean/uncluttered engine bay).

I really wanted to go this color. (Acura Desert Silver paint) if I had time and space to fully strip it.

http://www.modified.com/features/modp-1 ... ewall.html

But Ron Burgundy it will have to be. :p

GT4times2

darthripley":1rfjltxf said:
I'll email you some pics of the MR2 before & after.
I wouldn't have painted the entire 2 but unfortunately it was several different shades of off-white that had started to yellow & some parts sort of resembled Super White but not really. It was a cluster of repaints from over the years as well as blatant spray over rock chips - ugh!

I am pretty sure automotive touchup uses their own paint.
You might want to check on a quart of Sherwin Williams Automotive to compare price since you're going to be using a rig to spray.
PPG has awesome quality but isn't cheap of course. I'm planning on using PPG for the refurb/repaint on the centers of the BBS RS001 3 piece rims I have for Super2. There's a place I can go to locally to get a color match on the original BBS gold & get them to put the paint into rattle cans for me :)

I don't have a compressor so everything I do is all rattle can.

When I repainted the engine bay in the Alltrac, I just degreased & cleaned, sanded down with 400 grit sandpaper, primed about 2-3 coats then sprayed Super Red about 2 coats and then clear coated over that.
So little of the engine bay shows that a bit of orange peel really isn't noticable in our cars even if you have a FMIC.
Believe me I am totally and completely anal retentive about paint finishes and that small bit of orange peel in Vadar's engine bay isn't even something that I can notice when looking in there.
I did the same thing in the MR2 bay & more of it shows but it looks just as good.
Be sure to treat any rust after cleaning - more than likely you will have some on the battery tray from battery acid -- that was the only rust Vadar had.

Please do. I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I trust your opinion as well as Pat's on the matter. I will give them a try. I need to get the right code to begin with. Pat will never stop messing with me, and my multi-shaded Maroon All Trac :lol: :cry: :lol:

It'll be the same shade in due time. :)

I will take some pics of the engine bay (before and after). The battery has been relocated to the rear already. I am going to address any rust, dirt & grease issues in the coming days. Most of the work is Prepping. I did the engine bay for my first (blue) All Trac (12) years ago, and it turned out nice (I think I used Duplicolor back then, from what I remember). At it again.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. Thanks again guys.

Hotrodhendrix

Prior to the bedliner coating I had used the rattle can paints to do the engine bay in it. It took weeks of prep work but came out great. Smooth. Glossy. The only issues I ran into were later. It chips far easier than standard paint even with a clear coat.

Honestly it cost more to use rattle can than it would to properly spray automotive paint for me. This depends on the color you will be using.

As with any paint job prep is key. It doesnt matter if its BCC, single stage, rattle can, powder coat etc. If that surface isnt perfect you will have imperfections.

~James