New ST185 OEM key blanks

AFCor

I found these at Twosrus.com ( http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info ... cts_id=441 ) and picked up a couple. You could use the part # and get them through another parts retailer if you want. They're not too bad! I mean, it's what you'd expect a factory key to be. And it's one more thing that makes the car a little nicer especially if you have a hardware store key like mine was. It "feels" better, you know?

CIMG0358.jpg

-Anthony

phattyduck

Getting new keys was like the second thing I did when I got my Alltrac. Mostly so the old worn keys wouldn't fall out of the ignition anymore. :D

You can get the factory cut at the dealer with your VIN or key code for an exact fit.

-Charlie

AFCor

phattyduck - I was wondering what to do about cutting the key. Mines worn down so much there are no more edges. Thanks for the tip!

-Anthony

88gt4DE

sinerasis":mfrt6s9g said:
Are 165 OE blanks available somewhere? I would really like to get a few.

Could the possibly be the same as the MK1 MR2 keys? (http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=440)

357rc5t.jpg

You mean these ? were still avail a month ago at my work ... however yer screwed on making keys off key codes for 165 at dealer now unless you already have code. Not in system anymore. Locksmith may be able to cut them by code with an example lock ...

sinerasis

88gt4DE":25dzu75k said:
sinerasis":25dzu75k said:
Are 165 OE blanks available somewhere? I would really like to get a few.

Could the possibly be the same as the MK1 MR2 keys? (http://twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=440)

357rc5t.jpg

You mean these ? were still avail a month ago at my work ... however yer screwed on making keys off key codes for 165 at dealer now unless you already have code. Not in system anymore. Locksmith may be able to cut them by code with an example lock ...
That's the correct part number? I shouldn't have much trouble having my existing key copied right? I don't NEED the code do I?

88gt4DE

Correct number sir. Just got mine a month ago or so. If yer existing key isnt too worn then you can copy them off of them. Yer call ... or take yer trunk cylinder out or any of the locks and a lock smith can get code and cut them off that. Only two ways I know since code wasnt available in toyota parts database anymore ...

Toyota_Todd

A little known secret is to pull the passenger door lock cylinder. It has a code scribed into the body of the lock cylinder. With this code your dealer or lock smith should be able to cut keys for your Toyota.

In some rare cases you will have a metal tab that a previous owner may have given you with a key code stamped on it. Sometimes its on a spare set of keys and most people have no clue what it is. Rare, but it happens from time to time.

One other long shot is to look in the owners guide (not the owners manual) if your vehicle came with one. Believe it or not, back in the good ol days...salesmen actually wrote down the key code for the customer in the owners guide. I have found keys codes this way for a few Toyotas.

Good luck on your key code searches!

sinerasis

Would the drivers lock cylinder have the code too?

I think it's possible my passenger door was replaced once upon a time, that or the lock is broken. I was thinking I could see if they match.

With that said, could I order a lock with a specific code from a dealer?

Toyota_Todd

Hey Jeff,
The lock cylinder code is only on the passenger door lock cylinder only. As for the new lock cylinder that you need... when the dealer orders it in, it will be a random code. You can than have a locksmith recode it to match your vehicle.

Do this first. Take the code off the passenger lock cylinder and get your local dealer to cut you a cheap key for checking it for fitting the rest of the car.

Another option is to find a member parting one out that has all of the locks together in a set and change them all out. When I parted out a couple cars, I sold 2 compete lock sets. I had the key codes written out for them too.