Hydraling handbrake upgrade

Killtodie

My ST165 is missing all the handbrake hardware, no one sells the kits and from the dealer its going to cost me $200 to replace the hardware.

I wanna install a hydraulic handbrake but keep my existing center console and hand brake lever. This seems like a cheaper and better solution.

Any examples of hydraulic handbrakes that keep the existing center console intact?

fussellbug

I believe you can still get the parts you need from Rockauto.com

Spring kit - Wagner H10369 - $3.73
Hold Down Kit - Wagner H14066 - $2.95
Wheel Cylinder (LH) - Wagner WC107464 - $5.98
Wheel Cylinder (RH) - Wagner WC107465 - $6.73
Parking brake Pads - Wagner PAB529 - $9.45
Adjuster Kit (LH) - Dorman HW12502 - $12.40
Adjuster Kit (RH) - Dorman HW12503 - $11.35

I think that's all the hardware you'd need to put the parking brakes completely together.

Killtodie

Sorry, but those are incorrect parts. They are for rear drum brakes, not the rear drum hand brake. There are no wheel cylinders involved, instead there are cable actuators that I'm missing, 4 piece, Toyota wants like $80 per wheel. Rockauto does sell rear drum brake pads and they are like $40. Some of the hardware kit will work but I'm missing everything else that's hard to come by.

Killtodie

Right, I can buy a hydraulic hand brake with a actuator for like $170. Or make my own I guess, I have access to a CNC machine.

Just wondering if anyone has done something like this so I can reference.

Killtodie

yeah, not cheap and dont even see the parts needed. wheel cylinder is $60 each. wow, those are like $14 on rock auto.

lumbercis

Between not having a handbrake and spending $200 to fix your handbrake, I'd spend the $200. :shrug:

You're not going to come up with a completely custom solution for less money than that unless you have godlike fab skills.

MWP

Killtodie":1r3d3ejs said:
I'm just going to get a hydraulic hand brake. I can buy one for like $120 with stainless steel lines.

Dont.

There is a VERY good reason why hydraulic handrakes are not used on factory cars.
They leak & eventually fail.

Fix up the stock cable system.

Killtodie

MWP":4w0jsts7 said:
Killtodie":4w0jsts7 said:
I'm just going to get a hydraulic hand brake. I can buy one for like $120 with stainless steel lines.

Dont.

There is a VERY good reason why hydraulic handrakes are not used on factory cars.
They leak & eventually fail.

Fix up the stock cable system.

They leak? They just hook up to your existing lines, use proper hardware and you will be fine.
The one I'm looking at is more than halfway down the page here
http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?4