budget turbo mods

Shafer777

well if you've seen my other posts, the bearings in my twin vein ct26 got some play in them, so i pulled my turbo off and got a rebuild kit. and they had enough play in them that the compressor wheel got into the housing a little, so instead of assuming its good, i was going to upgrade, i've read on the FAQs page that a simple supra turbine would make the top end more agressive (i had my old turbo maxxed out on a manual boost controller and im very familiar with the top end fall off, and i want to fix that). i've also seen 16g conversions, but currently they're all whole turbos. and i dont want to buy a whole turbo for a supra or a single port 3sgte when im only going to use the wheel and housing, and a 16g modded twin vein ct26 is around $600, and i dont have that kind of money being winter time, bills and holiday season. does anyone have any info on just a supra compressor and housing? or really any hybrid compressor and housing? i dont want to go too big because i wont use it to its potential, i've done a **** ton of research on this, and i know you can only go so big on the compressor before a ct26 becomes useless and the exhaust cant handle it. 16g is what im really looking for though.

now please tell me if this next paragraph is pointless based on what im going with my compressor...

now for the restrictive exhaust side, ive done about a days worth of research and cant find a set price on a stupid turbine clip. what i want to do is give someone my turbine still on the shaft (i gotta pull it apart to replace bearings anyways, ill just give them the shaft instead of paying to get mine tore apart), and tell them i want a certain degree clip (depends on the compressor upgrade i do, thinking maybe 5-10*ish for supra, 10-15* for 16g, not sure yet though but i hope im somewhat in the ballpark) for a certain price, then throw it all together and have both sides modded. if all goes as planned ill have a nice allround upgraded bolt on turbo :D

i know that spool times would be quite a bit different, its not that big of a concern for me, but i have an idea to increase driveability.... right now im running a manual boost controller, and i heard about wastegate creep as it builds up pressure? i was thinking about getting an electronic boost controller, hopefully eliminating that creep once i get it set right ---> increasing spool times, by how much? idfk haha. im a kid, i didnt know half this stuff a week ago, and had never heard of a celica all-trac or st-whatever untill i bought my car off craigslist 2 days after it was posted lol.

but any help would be appriciated. oh, and if it sounds like im on crack.... its your fault, i got all my info for various forums :p hahaha! thanks in advance!

4rsnduction

Shafer777":22etzsyn said:
right now im running a manual boost controller, and i heard about wastegate creep as it builds up pressure? i was thinking about getting an electronic boost controller, hopefully eliminating that creep once i get it set right

Wastegate creep isn't caused by a manual or electronic boost controller its caused by the wastegate port being too small to allow an adequate amount of exhaust gas to bypass the turbine.

what i want to do is give someone my turbine still on the shaft (i gotta pull it apart to replace bearings anyways, ill just give them the shaft instead of paying to get mine tore apart), and tell them i want a certain degree clip (depends on the compressor upgrade i do, thinking maybe 5-10*ish for supra, 10-15* for 16g, not sure yet though but i hope im somewhat in the ballpark) for a certain price, then throw it all together and have both sides modded. if all goes as planned ill have a nice allround upgraded bolt on turbo
the compressor wheel got into the housing a little
Your kinda new to the process so i wont be too hard.
Basically you said your compressor blades were touching the housing and you want your turbine wheel clipped....both of these will require a professional to balance and machine components.
This process isnt a "cheap" upgrade for your turbo, basically u need the entire thing rebuild.
You wanted a new compressor wheel and work done to the turbine wheel plus you will require machining of the compressor side housing to remove the marks, new bearings, new seals, balancing and testing........thats gonna run you up at least $700

Shafer777

I already have a rebuild kit from japan waiting to be put in, and I just wanted to completely swap out my housing for a new one and save me that machinig cost. And I know that clippin is alot more complicated than it sounds, and I know that alone is going to be costly. Do you think I would benefit from just a compressor swap and leaving the exhaust alone? If it weren't so expensive I would just get a CT20b and be done but they cost so much. I've even though about swapping out my turbo for a t3 but then I have to figure out a downpipe and wastegate and all that stuff, and came the conclusion that it's way too impractical for my application. I'm just looking fora setup that will pull through he top end at about 18-20 psi. I could get mine to peak at what my gauge said 20psi then it would drop pretty fast to around 13. That's what my gauge reads but it's a glowshift, and who knows how accurate it is. I can't say it enough, but I just want more top end. I'm just tired of feeling like I'm choking it in the mid to high rpms.

Shafer777

And as far as wastegate creep, type into google "how a wastegate works" and scroll down a little bit to the sw20 forum. What I'm talking about and what you're talking about is, what I believe, two different things. I read his whole post, I didn't just skim. I actually like learning about this stuff as well lol

lumbercis

What exactly is your budget? You mentioned under $600 before. If you look around on mr2oc and wait for a deal you might be able to find a ct20b for $500-$600.

You're not going to get an upgraded rebuilt turbo for $200 if that's what you were thinking. If your budget is that tight just get your ct26 rebuilt and enjoy driving your reliable vehicle. 8)