OKC Project-8/1/15-Another fun car!

toayoztan

I believe the 90-91 does use a different shifter assy/base. Stock, the 92-93 is shorter, however, if going TWM, i'm not sure if there's any other benefit.

Bryan

Landon

I just installed a TWM shifter myself. Very happy with the result.

EDIT.
My shifter has a different set up then yours. The ball of the shifter is set in a different bushing on mine. Do you have the stock set up there? Because I know TWM lists the shifter as 90-93. I think. Just curious.

toayoztan

The only thing I got from TWM was the actual shifter, their spacers, and misc. bolts/nuts hardware.

Otherwise, I do believe you use your stock base assembly. I did notice that in the instructions, some of the steps/pics didn't apply, I imagine because it was if you had a 90-91.

If my memory serves me right, the stock 90-91 base is, in fact, different than the 92-93.

I had a 92 shifter (can't remeber if I sold it), that was the exact same as this.

Bryan

toayoztan

Carpet is in, finally!

I'm pretty satisfied with the color of the carpet...still would like a fresh replacement though.

Now, moving onto the front seatbelts, rear interior panels, rear seats, cd player, etc.

I need to hook up the battery soon and make sure things are working properly...

dsc7627edit.jpg

Bryan

polm

WOW! The car is basically going to be brand new! Great job man, I wish I had the time, space and money to do this...lol Big props to you!

toayoztan

Ok, so now I went back and looked through my pics of my white alltrac (92) when I first got it.

The shifter is different...so now I am confused.

What the hell do I have??

Here is the pic of the shifter you can barely see when I first picked up this car years back. I thought the 92-93 was the same, but apparently not...
img0071ii.jpg

UPDATE: Found these in my "spare parts" folder from the 92 alltac. You can see the shifter better here.

shifter01.jpg

shifter02.jpg

shifter03.jpg

Bryan

toayoztan

However, according to our own website in the "shifter upgarde article," I have the correct shifter shown with the TWM for a 93 car...so now I am more confused...what was in the 92 white alltrac?? I'm pretty sure there's just a piece of information I am missing in all this lol.

So are there 3 different versions of the shifter...the metal one for 90-91 you see below on the right side in the pic...the 92 all plastic you see in my pic above...and the 93 half metal/half plastic shown above with my TWM?

90 to 93, what is the difference???

The 90-91 shifter has a metal assembly and parts came separately for replacing. The 92-93 shifter came as a full assembly with a slightly longer bottom shaft, reducing throw. The 92-93 shifter assembly is also plastic. You can replace the entire assembly or just the shifter if you are doing a 90 upgrade. Here is a pic showing the difference by Matt Crawley. The 92+ assembly is on the left, 90-91 on the right.

st185comparison.jpg

Bryan

Tecker185

I've had a shifter from every year 90-93 and the 90-91 shifter assembly sits lower. I have no idea why but it does. That's why the TWM comes with spacers because if you don't it will bottom on on the floor.

darthripley

i'll have to look through my project thread b/c the shifter i have in the car now came out of a CS so that may be one of the differences. :shrug:

toayoztan

So is the 92 shifter really all plastic like my old one then, and then switched in 93 to the half metal half plastic?

I thought TWM recommended all years use the spacers or it would bottom out. That's how it appears on mine also...there is some clearance, maybe I can se about removing the spacers and double checking if it's needed or not.

Bryan

toayoztan

Your 92 CS looks like the 90-91 posted in the previous page, with spacers attached...

And your 90-91 looks like the one that came in my 93 (did the previous owner do a swap before selling it to you?), except yours has a thick plate/bar type spacer.

There's a shifter on ebay from a 92 GTFour that looks like my OEM one from the 93.

So, still inconsistencies with all of this! Eh, who knows.

Bryan

darthripley

^ yeah that's exactly what i had & have now.

the metal spacer is part of the C's short shifter kit so the bottom of the rod won't hit the floor pan.

i got the descriptions reversed in the pic - that's what i get for doing too many things at once.
92 RC = right hand side 90-91 = left hand side

derp!! :twisted:

i agree with the inconsistencies for sure!

Tecker185

darthripley Do you have a picture of said shifter combo in your car? I have not installed my c's shift yet and would like to see it installed.