[How to] Solid fill your engine mounts

tw2

Next time I am under the car I will have a look at how they are staying together. I didn't realize I had done this so long ago.

Killtodie

I did something similar, but used 80A Urethane Casting Compound. 1lb was only enough for 3 mounts, but I left the fourth in the car anyway.

TjUEL.jpg

Dm1X9.jpg

3YCYZ.jpg

Dries in about 5 hours, technically takes 7 days to fully cure, but should be usable within 48 hours. I have not driven the car on them yet.

ZeroDrift

I did this a while back for a few mounts and used the shore 60A kind. They didn't hold up very well as they had a few mm of sag when I removed my engine. The main issue is the mixing process of the urethane adds a large amount of air into the mixture and the vast majority of the air remains trapped in the mount. After talking to some more experienced folks about this it was highly recommended to put the mixed urethane in a vacuum chamber for a few minutes to remove excess air. I plan to remake my mounts with this method in the near future.

ZeroDrift

I would imaging the bare minimum would be just after the mixing process and being careful to avoid a "sloppy" pour that would introduce fresh air into the mix.

Best bet is to purge air after both steps.

tw2

I never had any problems with mine and you can see from my old pics they looked a complete mess. It must depend very much on the type of product used. I also didn't have any issues with air getting into the mixture.