My Axle Dilemma..

warracer

Alright, I know for a fact that the 4 axle boots at the front have split and tear, now here its winter and I don't want to remove those @ -20C in the snow.

They don't click at all, there are in fact very smooth but I have to wait until spring to fix them

But heres my problem, knowing that I need to replace them, should I :

1. change only the 4 boots (arround 25$ each boot so 100$ aprox )

2. Change the 2 inner boots and get myself 2 Fensport outer axle kit (arround 300$ for all the parts)

3. Change the whole CV Axles. (250$ for jobber axle (DriveTechAmerica) , I can deal with a bit of vibration)

Option 3 seems like its the most logical thing ot do (in my opinion) and you guys must know better and thats why Im asking for your help and expertise

Also, if I change the whole CV Axles, I can't afford OEM (college budget) @ 620$ each, there is no way in hell im going to pay that . :crazy:

heres the CV I found : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-New-CV-Axles-8 ... 183wt_1163

Do you guys have better CV axles (complete) alternatives, like different brands and such, of course at a aisonable price

Thanks!
:D

Rpz123isme

On my 185 i replaced both axles through pep boys for 65 dollars a pop. napa also has them with better bearings but they cost about 95 each through them.
my pep boys axles held 280 whp with no problems!

fussellbug

I would recommend contacting Raxles.com for a quote on rebuilt axles. I had my FWD axles rebuilt by them for about $175 each and they came back to me looking and feeling like new OEM axles. For rebuilds, they're the best company around. If they have a set of axles in stock to rebuild, they will send you axles with a core charge until you return yours, otherwise you just ship the axles you have and they'll ship back after rebuilding.

underscore

I ordered boots for my rears from Lithia Toyota (OEM kit) that came with the grease and everything and to a shop to rebuild them. It's something you could easily do yourself if the axles aren't damaged yet.

phattyduck

warracer":1zqc8i67 said:
Alright, I know for a fact that the 4 axle boots at the front have split and tear, now here its winter and I don't want to remove those @ -20C in the snow.

They don't click at all, there are in fact very smooth but I have to wait until spring to fix them
:D
If you wait until spring to fix the boots/axles.... they will be ruined and you will have to replace them.

Just get the axles from your local auto parts store. If they don't have them, get axles for an '88-'91 V6 Camry instead. They work just fine...

-Charlie

toayoztan

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm actually wondering.

Just how long have the boots been ruined/ripped?

It may be a safer bet to just get rebuilt axles or new ones.

I recommend Napa too, I never really have or hear complaints with their stuff.

Bryan

warracer

they have been ripped since 6 months I think, But I keep grease as much as I can in them, but just to be sure I think ill go with the Napa axle, Ill then keep my OEM one for future rebuild...