getting a 275/40 17 on a ST185

BADNEWS

Has anyone gotten a 275/40 17 on a ST185 on all 4 wheels? If so what rim size with what offset and what spacers where?

And did they rub ever?

lumbercis

Hmm... relevant to my interests.. :p

I've never seen it but I think it's doable. Will probably need some fender rolling/pulling and coilovers and will likely depend on the particular section width of the tire you plan to run.

Interested to see your results if you try it. :smokes:

CMS-GT4

Martin had that size on his his 17x9 38et sportmax wheels. Same ones as mine. He said you can not run the front fender liners. He later cut his fenders to run 315s.

Meenya

Here is the picture of rear set up with 255/40/17 on 9" wheel with 12mm offset and ~-2.5 camber. It just clears the coilovers (Note DMS coilovers sit lower than other brands, so you will likely have more room inside if you are using other brands). And the rear fender needs to be rolled as well. 255 on 9 12mm clearance.jpg

The best thing in my opinion is to get one 9" wheel ~30mm and used 275 tire (I got mine 255 free from tire shop) and test fit it on the car as you will need to play with height, camber etc.

Good luck.

BADNEWS

I currently run a 245/40-17 on all 4 with no rubbing issues. I have 17x8.0 rims with a 38mm offset. Either I am just going to get better tires in that size or wider rims with a 275 or 285 size tire. I know the back with fit a 285 no problem but it's the front I'm curious about. My car is stored away right now so I can't look at the clearance I have for a little bit yet.

I'm not buying new rims just to go from a 245 to a 255 tire cause a 255 requires at least a 8.5 wide rim. Not worth it IMHO.

Now I am thinking about 18X9.5 rims with a 285/30-18 tire. The tire diameter is almost exactly the same as my 245/40-17 but will be just wider by like an inch and a half wider.

CMS-GT4

Since you are wanting to race, I would consider how it might affect you gear ratios. I run 255s now, but am going down to 245s next tire. I have the RC final drive, and that combined with the 255/40s I have less gear changes but I need to figure out how to keep it in a better power range. I think I am going to have to learn to left foot brake like they used to before antilag.