How in the !@#$ do you put the gearbox back on?

Killtodie

MWP":qqeyizis said:
So if doing the missile silo method, how do you guys avoid damaging the end of the engine (timing belt cover, etc)?

User an old tire I supposed. Just make sure it dont tip.

deecee

on my st205, the distance between cam cover and crank pulley is 50mm.
We laid some carpet down, tipped the engine, rested the crank pulley on a piece of 18mm mdf under the carpet and then rested the cam cover on a plank that was wider that the cam cover to distribute weight which was 18+50mm high.

Scary thing is to tip the engine on its side without damaging the oil pan. We doubled the carpet to provide a rolling surface.

then we hung the transmission over with an engine crane and engine leveler, got it about right and placed the shaft into the plate. Then we lowered it down and it got stuck on the mounting boss on the case.

I grabbed the angle grinder and got the guys to hold it while I ground the mounting boss off.

We then went again and it was a little stuck. Jonno rotated the transmission a little and knocked it and it went straight on as the shaft must have had to rotate a little to get it in line - and it came down fast due to gravity!
Do not put your fingers between block and gearbox when taking slack off crane!

The mounting boss is the main issue I had. It interfered with the transfer case no end and gave me multiple issues.

Failed way - as you can imagine, I was pissed off with it trying this way for hours.
deecee_gearbox_01.jpg

deecee_gearbox_02.jpg

deecee_gearbox_03.jpg

deecee_gearbox_04.jpg

deecee_gearbox_05.jpg

Missle Silo:
deecee_gearbox_06.jpg

deecee_gearbox_07.jpg

Angle Grinder:
deecee_gearbox_08.jpg

deecee_gearbox_09.jpg

deecee_gearbox_10.jpg

deecee_gearbox_11.jpg

deecee_gearbox_12.jpg

deecee_gearbox_13.jpg

phattyduck

The transmission needs to be rotated up/CCW (towards the intake manifold) along the axis of the crankshaft until just before it engages the dowels. At that point, you can rotate it down in line with all the holes/pins/etc and start bolting it up. Otherwise you will run into block parts like shown above.

-Charlie

Ironchief

Using the missle silo method you just need about 3 strong guys to manhandle the engine so that you dont wreck or bend the crank pulley when you flip the engine to get it onto the ground and also when you flip it back upright after you mount the transaxle. You can't just roll it back down or else it may bend the pulley.

Killtodie

Damn, that looks more complicated than how I did it. 4 hours of swearing and manhandling it till it slipped back in place with two jacks

msanders2

Honestly the hardest thing on Earth to do, is mount the trans back on. I have done this twice. Each time taking about 3-4 hours. Trust me, it dont get any easier lol. I always take the transfer case off the transmission. Rotate the transmission, put it almost on the dowels, then re attach the transfer case. I have found this to be the "easiest" way.

MWP

I did it this way a while ago... it was easier than i thought it would be.
Took about 90mins and did it by myself.

I used an engine crane to put the engine on its end, then i used the engine crane to drop the gearbox onto it.
Once the gearbox was bolted down, i then used the crane to pick the lot back up and set it down the right way up.

The engine crane leveler thingie is worth every $$.
It would have been far more difficult without it.

eNpdjE0LgkAURf_K8PbqjB8kz10RUiAJupdxmnJoUhkVjOi_p6iLuqt3zuNejiG-O_QQWiUg6nAXIiTcPDrnwA1JlZgOqZXgJMtZGDhBZsX5kewHpa-OS5lnUddiAYklN2UzEtWRS-2ckrhgnufa5zSeV32Em9IaIoV0wgBBcFHJmdnCfTU8y-3PEMa1xhilsKjXv5qcbu5NIRpTS7ONhattRQ_RFant09-40ecLGLpExQ,,.jpg

eNpdjE0LgkAURf_K8PbqjB80PHdFSIEk6F7GyXJoUhkVjOi_p6iLuqt3zuNegRzfHXoIrZIQdrjjCLEwj845CEMSJaej1EoKkmaMB06QWlF2JPtB6avjUuZZ1LVYQKJSmKIZierIpXZOcZQzz-P2OYnmVR_hprSGUCGdMECQQlblzGzhvhqexfZnCONaY4xSWNTrX01ON_cml42pS7ON8dW2sofwitT26W_c8PMFHFBEyw,,.jpg

I would like to thank the people on this thread. I just did a clutch on my ST 165 and there was no way in hell the trans will go back on the traditional sideways direction. I set my motor on the crank pully and lowered the trans with an engine crane. 1000000000 times easier with this method. Now I'm off to my work to finish the project and drive my celica for the first time.