ST165 Fuel System Upgrades

ZeroDrift

Hello everyone. I'm currently overhauling my engine and am making a few changes to the fuel system. What is the consensus with the stock top feed fuel rail? Anyone have any insights to use -AN fuel lines and fittings on this rail? If you have any pictures of a setup I'd greatly appreciate it!

ZeroDrift

System is going to capitalize upon the turbo choice I have currently. Turbo is a Hybrid CT27 with a 16G compressor wheel. This is going to be a flex fuel setup and my rough calculations show that I will need approximately 750cc injectors when on E85. I may need a little more overhead as the turbo setup may change down the road. Going to be using -AN 6 fittings and already have some extra fuel line from my last setup.

ZeroDrift

gearhead313":7zkelb6z said:
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. look into a Bosch 044 pump for a little extra fuel volume

I will opting for an in tank pump from Aeromotive. I'm mostly concerned with restrictions in the stock fuel rail and would like to see what others have done with fittings and adapters. Going to do this portion of the build without re-inventing the wheel if possible.

klue

Hey zero,

The st165 fuel rail is pretty robust, far better than the st185 one. Youll need to make some brackets to support your new injectors, as well as cups to seat them in the head. -6 an will do fine for fuel feed, make sure it goes right back to the tank. Ive modified OEM sending units to use the -6 and its pretty easy to get the fittings you need for the filter. Aeromotive, walboro, or my personal favorite would be the supra tt pump will all be up to the task of your power goals.

If I were you I would dual feed the rail, and run the return out the middle section used to feed the cold start. xiiimotorsports sells Injector Dynamics, which work great with E85. As well as all the pumps, lines, fittings you will need. Be sure to ask if you need any help

Cheers
Luke

Punknoodle

Funnily enough I'm nearly finished doing a very similar thing to my ST165 fuel rail. I used speed flow AN-6 fittings from filter to rail, removed cold start and AN-6 to new regulator, with AN-4 from reg to return hard line.

I have RC injectors in mine, 750cc. Have to bore out the injector holes to suit but the factory insulators fit onto the injectors and sit nicely into the head.

Pump is Walbro 255L/h.

Pic:
702f0a52.jpg

Old photo sorry from when I originally just did the lines and pump.

klue

looks like you have a st185 intake manifold, and gen 3 map sensor?
does the st165 fuel rail fit the st185 head? I thought the spacing was different

or am I way off

Punknoodle

It's a Gen 1 head. (Don't ask lol) The map sensor is actually a Gen IV from when I was going to go with a Link G4 Xtreme ECU but I've since gone with Haltech which has on board MAP so that's gone now

klue

Punknoodle":1ibt08nl said:
It's a Gen 1 head. (Don't ask lol) The map sensor is actually a Gen IV from when I was going to go with a Link G4 Xtreme ECU but I've since gone with Haltech which has on board MAP so that's gone now

Cool!
Looks the same as a gen 3. I actually use the gen 3 sensor on my AEM, I did a voltage plot for it as no one else had one available. It scales up to 27-28 psi worked great for me.
I have used some ecus with on board maps, just a word of caution. A good backfire can blow the MAP sensor to hell so make sure you use a filter like what comes on the OEM sensor

cheers

Punknoodle

Good tip man thanks. I actually asked one of the guys from Haltech whether I needed to run a filter and he said no filtering was necessary. Maybe it has an internal filter? Maybe I should run one anyway..

brutekiller787

i have a gen1 fuel rail on my gen2 head and it works fine. i think a member on here suggested using 91+ 5sfe injector seals, but they do not seem to be holding boost like i feel cups made from the stock gen 2 fuel rail would, but maybe it's just me.

i wouldn't recommend using the CSI hole as a return, it's way too small. a gen1 fuel rail though is probably one of the best things you could do to the fuel system of a 3sgte. it is the highest flowing of all stock rails and it is top feed, which opens up way more injector options.

what is your end hp goal, a ct27 can only do so much. i am looking for around 375whp on e85 and i'm looking no smaller than 1000cc

klue

brutekiller787":3r09958l said:
i have a gen1 fuel rail on my gen2 head and it works fine. i think a member on here suggested using 91+ 5sfe injector seals, but they do not seem to be holding boost like i feel cups made from the stock gen 2 fuel rail would, but maybe it's just me.

i wouldn't recommend using the CSI hole as a return, it's way too small. a gen1 fuel rail though is probably one of the best things you could do to the fuel system of a 3sgte. it is the highest flowing of all stock rails and it is top feed, which opens up way more injector options.

what is your end hp goal, a ct27 can only do so much. i am looking for around 375whp on e85 and i'm looking no smaller than 1000cc

Thats a good point, if you are running the dual voltage set up on your pump the hole size should not be an issue.

All the fuel systems I build I use a dead head set up where the regulator is before the fuel rail, so the size of the return is not as much of an issue