OKC Project-8/1/15-Another fun car!

toayoztan

Ah ok, so everything makes sense.

The 90-91 is as described, as for the 92-93 like my 93 OEM one.

However...anyone have any clue what the hell that was in my 92??

And doesn't the C's shifter angle slightly towards the RH side?

Bryan

Tecker185

I was told the one I have is a 92 it may in fact be a 93 shifter. I do recall my 92 gt TWM install and it was all plastic like the one you posted.

l0ch0w

I believe thats Kiwi for "What plans do you have for your motor"

Im interested as well for what you have planned for power... ;)

deecee

Apologies. I'm in vacation mode and fall into kiwi-isms.

Yes, L0chl0w is correct in a sense. Have you finalised your engine and if so when do you expect to be up and runing? Reason i ask is that if i were to do my car again i would have got a running engine which would allow me to get the biggest part of car out of way firstthen focus on sorting the rest out.

You have done your build similar to me in that you have done a lot of work but it doesn't seem you have figured or finalised your engine and are up and running yet.

CSAlltrac

It was awesome getting to spend some time with you Bryan. I love your car and the quality of everything done. It will truly be a brand new car when your done and one of the cleanest builds performed hands down. Keep it up dude, next time I'm in town I expect a ride. :) if your ever in my parts my door is open.

toayoztan

CSAlltrac":360fxf5j said:
It was awesome getting to spend some time with you Bryan. I love your car and the quality of everything done. It will truly be a brand new car when your done and one of the cleanest builds performed hands down. Keep it up dude, next time I'm in town I expect a ride. :) if your ever in my parts my door is open.

John, definitely was cool to meet up with you. Nobody ever comes to OKC so it was nice to have a visitor lol. OKC isn't really a small town, we have most of what big cities have without the tall buildings or traffic :D Hopefully you'll get to see more of it if you guys come back to visit.

Thanks for the props, I'll be more than happy to give you a ride. I'll have to work on cutting the paint and polishing it up a bit to get it more up to "new car" standards heh.

Bryan

toayoztan

Ah yes, the motor. It's funny b/c I was just talking to John about it when he came in to visit, in regards to just getting this thing together and then go back to revise things.

Right now, I'm still doing everything the way I want for everything - except the motor. I'm at the point where after I get the car together, I will just use the built motor I have (although I have different plans in mind now) just so I can have a running vehicle (as I am moving into my own house hopefully in the Spring).

My general plan for the motor right now is AEM EMS4 tune, forged internals, non-stroker, 272 in/264 ex HKS cams, standard head valve job w/o port/polish, Racer X sidefeed manifold, 1mm OS valves, Precision 5857 turbo, custom ram horn exhaust manifold, and probably either the Walbro 400lph or Aeromotive 340lph - pump/race for now...all in all, your run of the mill engine build.

I've got a complete spare long block that I will rebuild to exactly what I want - what that is yet, still deciding and researching my plan of attack and will let you guys know when I've decided :) . I am considering a ProEFI flex fuel system, better head work, reworked manifolds, stroker, and bigger turbo. I've decided against any hybrid 5s block set up. Although it has its benefits, just not a fan of the hybrid-ish set up. The 5s crank for "2.2" stroker is as far as I go with that.

If I end up getting another alltrac for road race (which is likely to happen), I will probably throw the first motor in it and keep it at modest power to enjoy, and have the 2nd motor as a go straight go fast set up.

Right now, I'm at the point where I just want this thing running - since I'm almost certain with the decisions I've made for the non-motor stuff (except minor suspension stuff), I am just going to throw the motor as-is in, since I know I keep wanting to change my set up. My friend told me that no matter what I decide, there will always be something I will want to go back and keep changing, so the goal is just to have something in there for now and use it as a starting point.

Bryan

darthripley

**sorry for the quick thread hijack Bryan**

Tecker184":gggxvsjw said:
darthripley Do you have a picture of said shifter combo in your car? I have not installed my c's shift yet and would like to see it installed.

Here's a comparison shot for you.
C's is on the left, stock 90-91 shifter on the right both shots showing 2nd gear.

The C's does lean slightly to the right since it was made for RHD cars. It doesn't bother me b/c it's so precise feeling compared to the sloppiness of the stocker.

shifter-new-old-2nd.jpg

**end thread hijack**

//back to topic

Bryan - are you planning on getting another ST185 or ST165 for a fun track/race car?
I swear we will come visit y'all one of these days & bring R2 up there. it's just been one thing after a freaking other for us lately.

toayoztan

No problem (regarding the "thread jacking")!

As far as visiting, yeah, would love to see R2, whether here or there.

We should have a meet with the Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri people...maybe have it in Oklahoma, it's "central" lol :D

Yeah, it won't be anytime soon. I want to be sure I find a good after I get done with this one...at least get this one up and running and tuned!

Bryan

toayoztan

Hah, thanks, I try to be as thorough as I can.

Lately, I've been kind of slacking and being lazy on documenting. With the cold weather, sometimes I just want to get it done and not take the time to take pictures!

But I'm trying to kick it back in gear with more pics as I move along the build.

Right now, I'm working on replacing all the lights in my dash area. It was all red. Got really tired of it. I'm going back to all stock colors, with the exception of a few lights (eg. having the rear defrost green instead of amber). This time, I'm going to use the LEDs out there now to make things brighter with a more up to date look. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

I'm trying to get my optima battery charged so I can test the electronics of my car so far (before I keep going and realized later that I made a big mistake on something, aka sunroof and HVAC controls).

Otherwise, it's really just more boring stuff right now like getting more of the interior back together and some of the headlight/bumper/rad support stuff on.

The more fun stuff like engine, exhaust, customized set ups, will come over the next few months!

Bryan

toayoztan

More progress over last few weeks...been slow, was cold, and had interviews for residency.

Things will pick up over next couple weeks.

I left off installing the carpet.

Here's the rear seats being cleaned up and put in. They were not just dusty, but dirty. This pic shows it being wiped down.
dsc7716edit.jpg

Here's the rag I used for one part of the cushion. Both sides of it was this dirty from using the Zaino leather cleaner and light tootbrush. Seats smell better too!
dsc7722edit.jpg

Rear seats installed! You can somewhat see that the rear passenger panels were installed. I also had to install the two side trunk panels, along with the panels for the hatch.
dsc7734edit.jpg

Here, I worked on the front some more. I installed the headlight housing/bracket, headlight motor, upper support bar bracket, and upper support bar with new hardware. It seems I have to "guess" at the alignment of all of these things until the car comes more together with the fender and hood.
dsc7927edit.jpg

Bryan

toayoztan

Alright, more work done to the alltrac.

This picture shows the reman. steering rack assy I bought from Toyota with new bushings, powder coated wet black brackets, and Napa Chassis tie rod ends.
dsc7935edit.jpg

Installed!
dsc7941edit.jpg

Replaced the steering wheel while I was at it. This is the 7gen celica GTS wheel, auto. I'll utilize the up/down function maybe to control low/high boost, who knows. It was a decent price at the time, so I jumped on it. I'm still debating on leaving the airbag d/c. The horn/center piece is not fully set in place, but pic gives you idea.
dsc7981edit.jpg

Here are parts I am powder coating (except the bumper support bolt/nut and windshield wiper) wet black. A few engine bay brackets, hood latch assy, and headlight parts.
dsc7989edit.jpg

Sandblasted 30-45 mins later.
dsc8006edit.jpg

Powder coated wet black! If you notice, the headlight trim (originally silver metal) is also wet black. I was curious what this would look like as I have a few sets laying around. I kind of like it...
dsc8013edit.jpg

Here's a quick pic I snapped with my phone. I just put the trim piece loosely on a random spare headlight I had laying around. I kind of like it...we'll see how it looks once it's all together. I plan to eventually do a retrofit HID conversion (from like fx35 bixenon), and the housing would also be blacked out.
20130118215355.jpg

The hood latch installed and how the engine bay currently sits. Next, I'll start on getting the brake master cylinder installed and get the brake lines made up w/o ABS.
dsc8044edit.jpg

Bryan

Landon

Looks great Bryan. I like what you did with the headlight trim piece, I might actually look into doing that. I have a HID conversion with the housing black as well, so that might be a good idea for me. Thanks for doing such an incredible job!

CSAlltrac

Everything looks amazing as usual Bryan, I love the look of the 7th gen wheel. It has just the right amount of a modified look with factory roots.

toayoztan

Thanks guys!

I'm working on the interior lighting/LED around the combo meter and HVAC. I tested the HVAC operation...temp knob works (I see the heater valve move in and out), different modes work (I hear the motor move), recirc/fresh work....

BUT

I turn the air on...nothing. I tested the blower motor to the battery, it works, so that's not the issue.

I turn it to Auto, I hear a two clicks (two different relays). I turn it low/med/high and I hear another click (auto relay turning off I believe). The other click is the blower motor I think.

Anyway, when I have the fan on, I measure the voltage of the two wires going to the blower unit, I get 0v. I will probably try to replace the relay or check something else, but I swear it should all be working.

I DON'T have some of the sensors hooked up (mainly for the AUTO function), could that be it? Not sure, but I hope it's not frustrating chasing this down. I'm 99% confident when I removed the AC, the blower motor should still be working.

Bryan

Landon

Hey Bryan, you might start by checking the voltage available at the relay while everything is on, see what you have to work with.