Project: Black Trac- She's gone!

magnum

I could have them to you in about 2.5 to 3 weeks. Do you want the manifold and turbo or just the manifold. The turbo is a JDM turbo so it has a ceramic turbine. Most people find if you push them to 14 psi or more the turbine wheel can shatter. Both have 105,000 kms (68,000 miles) on them.

Landon

eh prolly just the manifold then. let me know when its ready, and i'll let you know for sure. thanks man.

Landon

It's been forever since I've posted anything.. I've been way to busy with everything, but here's a couple pictures. Only new thing is a sticker. Let me know what you guys think. It was inspired from the local tourists going a solid 15 under the speed limit. I have some plans for new things this year, so look forward to that for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20120803_211231.jpg
    IMG_20120803_211231.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,495

Landon

Worked out well having it on the inside of my window

Attachments

• PANO_20120803_193912.jpg
    PANO_20120803_193912.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 1,494

Landon

Wow, it has been WAY to long since I've updated this. Quite a bit has been done so I will try and remember most of it. Mostly I have done some lighting work. Interior lights converted to LED(dome, doors), license plate lights to LED, 3000k HID fogs, and 5600k HID headlights with custom projectors and lens set up. The fogs I ordered from HID nation, I ordered H4 bulbs instead of H3, :doh: but I made them work and am quite pleased with the result. The headlights are cheap Ebay projector lens retrofits with a BMW/Mini project fitted in place of the crappy projector. Overall I am VERY pleased with the result. RIght now I don't have high beams, but I figured out how to wire it so that I can have high beams which will basically be the removal of the cutoff.

IMG_20120810_000623.jpg

HID Fogs with stock headlights
IMG_20121028_234346.jpg

With HID headlights
IMG_20121126_180540.jpg

IMG_20121126_180600.jpg

I will try and post a picture later of the beam pattern with and without the cutoff. So far so good, no tickets or police trouble. :oops:

Let me know what you guys think!

Landon

Thanks man. You mind if I ask why you don't like them? I know a lot of people are touchy about being bright to other people or thinking they look funny in popups.. Just curious your opinion.

toayoztan

If they are a true retrofit from another car (like TSX or FX35) or a kit with a proper HID projector, I like it. I plan to do this with mine, however I'll try and integrate a shrowd.

If you just stuck HID bulbs in an ebay projector that is made for halogen bulbs, then that doesn't work too well.

Bryan

underscore

I find them irritating enough even in vehicles that are factory equipped with them, any kind of retrofit job just shoots light everywhere, blinding everyone and actually putting less light forward that some good, normal bulbs.

Even retrofits that use the whole projector from a vehicle with HID's don't tend to take into account the outermost glass and light still tends to go everywhere. Then to top it off most people can't wire worth a damn so the result is a blinding pile of crap that makes me want to smash out their headlights.

toayoztan

Yeah I don't blame you for hating HIDs if you'd had bad experiences with them only, but I've had both good and bad.

If the outermost glass is smooth without any pattern to distore the beam or light in anyway, then there should be no issue. A lot of HID equipped cars also have black/darkened headlight housing to reduce any glare too around the headlights.

But to each his own!

Bryan

Landon

Bryan, I'm with you in that if I do a kit, it won't be slapped together. I will get some shots in the daylight so you can see whats going on. Like I said, it is a stock projector from like 2004 BMW 3 series' so it isn't just the cheap ebay ones. Only thing from ebay is basically the glass lens/housing. It is clear without a pattern to cause distortion. I also have a shroud, but it is painted flat black so it blends with the housing. I'll get some pictures up so it makes sense.

underscore- I can understand your distaste with them, each to their own for sure. But I have always wanted them in my car and this setup is actually really close to an OEM setup, so hopefully I don't find my headlights smashed out. lol.

Landon

So I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bunch of slop in their clutch pedal, but I did some diagnosis today and found the bushing between the pedal and the master cylinder rod was non-existent. All in all, today with two trips to Ace, I was able to replace it with a bronze bushing and some other hardware that took up pretty much all the slop. Combining that with adjusting the free-play on my master cylinder rod I was able to get my pedal back to feeling healthy again. It was engaging on the floor, almost to the point that it wouldn't fully disengage, now it grabs about half way up. I have to relearn it a bit, but it feels much better.

Landon

Got some shots for those of you curious about the light pattern and shroud set up. Here's some shots of both. Sorry about the dirty lenses, its been dirty around here. lol.

Cutoff view from outside
IMG_20130125_183012_zpsff723158.jpg

Inside low
IMG_20130125_183058_zpsf884ea4c.jpg

Inside high
IMG_20130125_183052_zps176677a9.jpg

Shroud and projector with clear lens
IMG_20130125_191038_zps6e5936cb.jpg

toayoztan

Landon":3el5p8v8 said:
So I don't know if anyone else has had problems with a bunch of slop in their clutch pedal, but I did some diagnosis today and found the bushing between the pedal and the master cylinder rod was non-existent. All in all, today with two trips to Ace, I was able to replace it with a bronze bushing and some other hardware that took up pretty much all the slop. Combining that with adjusting the free-play on my master cylinder rod I was able to get my pedal back to feeling healthy again. It was engaging on the floor, almost to the point that it wouldn't fully disengage, now it grabs about half way up. I have to relearn it a bit, but it feels much better.

Nice, I'll have to remember this. Don't forget to turn the cube at the shifter levers on the transmission to reduce slop at the shifter.

Bryan